PDA

View Full Version : An attempt at the beach, the CTX is a winner.

Digger_O'Dell
07-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Hi all,
Had about 2 hours after work this morning to hunt so thought maybe I would try the beach again since it's a highly popular area in the summer. But once I arrived I was surprised to see 5 other guys already out detecting the beach. I said what the heck, I'm already there so pulled out the CTX and had at it.
I had the opportunity to chat with a couple of the others and was told they hadn't found much but a few coins. One guy found 4 beers buried in the wet sand keeping them cold and shared one with me-very nice surprise! I noticed none of the others had any higher end machines, think I noticed a bounty hunter or two, and maybe an F2 so I could understand not finding much with all the black sand.
I didn't find much, but an onlooker told me someone had passed through the spot I was working a short while back, but apparently his machine couldn't pick up even the near surface quarters I was finding.
I decided to change my tactics and use what I learned from hunting heavily hunted parks, look to the perimeters and out of the way niches. This did work out well and started giving up a few more items. It wasn't long before I got a solid 12-08 st about 3 inches. It took a while to find the target since my pinpointer wasn't handling the sand well, but I eventually got a nice older earring thst looks like it's been there quite some time. It's small with a stone set in perforated copper, but it looks like the hook is gold! Not much farther away I got a nice 12-32 which turned out to be another earring. Gold in color, but a junker-still a nice find though. A few more coins and lots of beaver tails later finished up the hunt. Just figure I'll have to get out earlier next time to beat the other hunters to the site next time!
Thanks for reading, HH&GL!

ODA 226
07-12-2016, 05:01 AM
You can't beat a CTX 3030! Great hunt!

leslie(nova scotia)
08-02-2016, 05:29 AM
Not a bad outing. PI machines are the best when it comes to wet sand. Good luck on the next outing!

Digger_O'Dell
08-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Not a bad outing. PI machines are the best when it comes to wet sand. Good luck on the next outing!

Thanks Les! As it's fresh water, the sand being wet isn't an issue, bit the black sand is horrendous to detect around. Sort of like looking for a coin under an iron plate. Just seeing the difference between what the others find with a good assortment of machines and what I find with the CTX just proves the difference in capabilities. I do use the salt water setting to overcome the sand issue and it's made a world of difference. Just the other day I found a dime about 9 inches down, just under a solid 4 inch layer of the dreaded black sand as if it didn't even exist. My pinpointer was baffled though and wouldn't pick up a thing near that stuff, and that IS pulse induction. Go figure. :dontknow: Either way, between the program I've been developing and using the right settings the performance has been nothing short of miraculous.

aloldstuff
08-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Some more has money and I'm hoping the earring is gold.

Digger_O'Dell
08-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Unfortunately the earring isn't gold, just plated