PDA

View Full Version : Great Saturday hunt...Penny Trifecta!

Bucknut
07-11-2016, 01:04 PM
I went out Saturday morning to a park I have not been to in a couple months. It was a perfect morning...a few clouds, nice temps and most importantly no one at the park!

Ended up with a great variety of finds. My first clay marble (which is marble #10 for the year! Crazy!), 3 silvers including a 1903 H King Edward 7th Dime and a couple rosies. I found a nice old indian from 1865 but it's pretty chewed up. My best find was a surprise Large Cent. Its slick so no date but I think it is a Matron Head.

Thanks for looking! Jared

Digger Don
07-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Wow, all that from a park? OK, I'm giving up door knocking! LOL
:congrats: Great Finds

Bucknut
07-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Wow, all that from a park? OK, I'm giving up door knocking! LOL
:congrats: Great Finds

You better not give up door knocking! You find amazing things. I would do more door knocking but there are tons of parks here in SE Michigan that I gotta clean out first! Plus I never get a "No" when I go to a park.

wisconsin digger
07-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Great finds. I'm a Park man myself. Never had the knack for door knocking. WD

BTV Digger
07-12-2016, 11:14 AM
You gotta mix it up...some door knocking, some parks, some woods. All have their pluses and minuses. Really nice assortment of older coins by the way, with a great range of dates to boot. You are correct...a Matron Head LC in the 1816 to 1835 time frame.

John

aloldstuff
07-12-2016, 01:45 PM
Some great finds in that park. Love the early Canadian dime. Question....are the parks in Michigan big. The ones we have here are pretty small.

Bucknut
07-12-2016, 02:12 PM
You gotta mix it up...some door knocking, some parks, some woods. All have their pluses and minuses. Really nice assortment of older coins by the way, with a great range of dates to boot. You are correct...a Matron Head LC in the 1816 to 1835 time frame.

John

Oh I love to door knock too! and hit the woods and field sites! I have been VERY successful detecting at those kind of places. BUT I am so fortunate to have so many old parks near me that I can't help but to go to them more than any other place. I have a list I keep of all the parks I have found silver at and as of today it totals 18 parks all with in 60 minutes driving distance of each other that I have found silver coins in. 18 Parks! I am VERY fortunate!

Bucknut
07-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Some great finds in that park. Love the early Canadian dime. Question....are the parks in Michigan big. The ones we have here are pretty small.

They all vary of course. In many of the old cities the parks are an entire block or more. We also have here in Michigan "Metro Parks"... many of which are 4000+ acres and have been around since the 1950's. They often have old home sites buried within them or old swimming holes. Again I am fortunate to have so much available to me to detect!

MangoAve
07-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Nice score, Buck. almost a trifecta on the dimes as well if foreign counts. ... John. The matron series went until 1839, altho 1839 was more of a specific year. The head was funny in 1839 hence 'booby head' variety. But I'll agree on it being a Matron.