PDA

View Full Version : Draped Bust LC and other assorted relics

BTV Digger
07-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Hi all and hope everyone enjoyed their 4th of July weekend. Here is a small assortment of relics/coins I've found over the past few weeks during several hunts. Finds were few and far between but alas the woods are getting muggy, buggy and overgrown making the free-swinging of late winter/spring a thing of the past. Did manage to pull a few keepers from the underbrush including an assortment of brass buckles/suspender clips, the front of a locket with a nice little fleur de lis pattern and a rather smooth DB LC, ironically found with my small 4" coil at a quiet cellar hole. I was actually en route to a more trashy old school site but decided to stop for a second and give the site a few swings before heading on. I'd hit the site several other times with my larger coil, so go figure...nab a DB LC with my small coil about 2 minutes after putting it to the ground. Just another strange MD story to tell! It's nearly dateless but I think I can just make out the top of an 8, 0 and perhaps a 2. The mind does play tricks on you though so shoot me your guesses if you have any. Finally, I've included a few shots of an old clip I found last year. An MD hunting partner recently found a similar one, but I couldn't for the life of me remember if it was anything other than generic or something a bit more interesting. I thank you for any help on an ID and regards.

John

OxShoeDrew
07-12-2016, 12:45 PM
I can't see that date either John, sorry....I've found that buckle (second pic down on the right) and tried to get an answer as to what it was used for. These people say "adjuster on the rear straps of men’s waistcoats, but may also have had other dress applications." http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=18154
I've also seen them said to be sewn in pants to tighten from the back. Have you seen what they were used for? Nice finds, congrats!

aloldstuff
07-12-2016, 12:52 PM
It's getting to hot and muggy and buggy to be in the woods but you made it pay off. Getting any DB is great, hope you can get a confirmation of the date.

del
07-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Congrats on the DB largie John :cheering:always a nice vision to one of them from a site . the buckle is definitely from the mid 1800's era these types were used for many applications as Drew mentioned (trousers , vests to even some boots ) . the last "spring" looking item is a puzzling one , i've found a few of them and in different sizes and lengths .

Good showing for your efforts John , you make me wanna make a drive your way !

Dan

Bucknut
07-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Congrats on the DB! That's a coin on my bucket list!

Lodge Scent
07-12-2016, 09:09 PM
Good job just getting out John! DB and other goodies are a bonus.

MangoAve
07-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Nice bit of finds, John. I like that sash buckle a lot... why? Cuz I found a similar one. Although, mine is more of an open design. Almost same shape and close design. Nice score on the DB too.

BTV Digger
07-13-2016, 04:43 PM
Congrats on the DB largie John :cheering:always a nice vision to one of them from a site . the buckle is definitely from the mid 1800's era these types were used for many applications as Drew mentioned (trousers , vests to even some boots ) . the last "spring" looking item is a puzzling one , i've found a few of them and in different sizes and lengths .

Good showing for your efforts John , you make me wanna make a drive your way !

Dan

Thanks for the comments Dan and you should make the trip up into VT at some point...plenty rural and less detectorists so I'm sure you'd do quite well. Yeah, the curved clip thingy remains a mystery. I seem to recall seeing a few posted here or there on one of the forums, but can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.

I can't see that date either John, sorry....I've found that buckle (second pic down on the right) and tried to get an answer as to what it was used for. These people say "adjuster on the rear straps of men’s waistcoats, but may also have had other dress applications." http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=18154
I've also seen them said to be sewn in pants to tighten from the back. Have you seen what they were used for? Nice finds, congrats!

Thanks Drew. I assumed they were simple suspender clips but your reference would suggest other uses. Thanks much for the link!

It's getting to hot and muggy and buggy to be in the woods but you made it pay off. Getting any DB is great, hope you can get a confirmation of the date.

Thanks much, but date or no date it's not a huge deal to me. Would've been nice but there'll be more in the future. HH!

Congrats on the DB! That's a coin on my bucket list!

You dig some awesome stuff Jared and thanks for the comment. There's probably one with your name on it waiting for you in MI somewhere!

Good job just getting out John! DB and other goodies are a bonus.

Thanks Jeff. Still trying to figure out how I missed it the other times I was there...very weird.

BTV Digger
07-13-2016, 04:47 PM
Nice bit of finds, John. I like that sash buckle a lot... why? Cuz I found a similar one. Although, mine is more of an open design. Almost same shape and close design. Nice score on the DB too.

Thanks Jim. Those buckles seem to have been quite common. You are like the 5th person I know to have found one. I do like the compact/neat shape and design of it though.

Lodge Scent
07-13-2016, 09:19 PM
Thanks Jeff. Still trying to figure out how I missed it the other times I was there...very weird.

I am guessing it was masked John. I think we would be amazed at how much stuff is still at these sites. Hunting with the Deus this past year has opened my eyes to that. I think we've all hit good targets at one time or another that were so masked that you only got a hint of a good tone when swinging from a narrow angle to the target. It's easy to see how they were missed by everyone and their uncle that had hit that site previously.