PDA

View Full Version : A DREAM COME TRUE........ G.W. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2010, 05:12 PM
well Gary(foundation hunter) scooped me up this morning and headed to a new site. we noticed relics piled on rocks and hopes went down for me on this site.i worked the old dirt driveway going up alongside cellar hole and my first reading was a decent one at 2 inches.flipped the plug over and thought oh cool a cloaker or dandy! flipped the button over in my hand and saw the oval in center and knew right away what i was holdin.I yelled hey Gar! got a G.W.! he was like yeah ok like i was pullin his leg rofl
i never trembled holding any of my finds and i can honestly say this had me shaking.
a 1881 & 1897 IH's ,a 1927 merc and the buttons were all in the driveway area.
i bet whoever hit this spot before may be scowling big time right about now.
one of my best hunts ever!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2010, 05:14 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2010, 05:14 PM
last pic

coinnut
08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Hey, it looks better on here than it did over the phone today lol Nice GW, maybe in a week or two, I'll look up the variety rofl It looks like it has a good amount of gilt left under that dirt. I would leave it for now. Gonna look it up after we reconnect the internet. I'm stringing a new cable. I don't know why you posted anything else, I just can't see any of it after viewing that baby :cheesysmile: I'm :envious: Sweet hunt Dave and congrats on your first GW. What a beauty!!

Update: I couldn't make you wait Dave lol It's the common variety listed as: WI11A Narrow spacing between G and W, oval size 16x18mm, button is 34 MM. R1 (rarity 1). That's the bad news. crying01 The good news is that there are no common GW buttons rofl Even a rarity 1 is rare. It states that there are more than 75 known. :beerbuddy: :clapping: oh and of course :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Hey, it looks better on here than it did over the phone today lol Nice GW, maybe in a week or two, I'll look up the variety rofl It looks like it has a good amount of gilt left under that dirt. I would leave it for now. Gonna look it up after we reconnect the internet. I'm stringing a new cable. I don't know why you posted anything else, I just can't see any of it after viewing that baby :cheesysmile: I'm :envious: Sweet hunt Dave and congrats on your first GW. What a beauty!!

Update: I couldn't make you wait Dave lol It's the common variety listed as: WI11A Narrow spacing between G and W, oval size 16x18mm, button is 34 MM. R1 (rarity 1). That's the bad news. crying01 The good news is that there are no common GW buttons rofl Even a rarity 1 is rare. It states that there are more than 75 known. :beerbuddy: :clapping: oh and of course :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

thanks G! didn't clean up as nice as i thought it would.i don't wanna use the brass brush on it either :confused:

randy
08-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Congrats on a fantastic hunt :clapping:

coinnut
08-09-2010, 05:54 PM
didn't clean up as nice as i thought it would.i don't wanna use the brass brush on it either :confused:

It was in a bad spot being in the tire tracks. Most of the rain would have settled there. Don't give up on it yet, the dirt tarnishes the silver on it. Wait until Del sees it and see if he thinks the CLR will work on that button. Then it will brighten up a lot. I'll give you 50 bucks for it :devilish: rofl

angellionel
08-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Congrats, Dave! That is one of those finds you will always remember. :yes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Congrats on a fantastic hunt :clapping:

thank you!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Congrats, Dave! That is one of those finds you will always remember. :yes:
very true! thanks Angel!

xzlr8n
08-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Big Congrats to you!! That is one high value button, that went deep in your pocket for sure. Not a bad day dirt fishing :shocked04: !!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
guy on TQ forum looked it up and this is what he quoted....

Albert has this one listed as #WI-11B, Dewitt lists it as 1789-7, and Cobb has it listed as #5A (GW in Oval with medium spacing--as of 2005 there was only 76 of these buttons known to exist (in all 3 spacing styles) and the medium spacing style is listed as 'scarce') and this one is listed at a value of $3000 (in extra fine condition). Big time congrats man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coinnut
08-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Hey Dave, I'm sorry but I really disagree with that guy. It is not WI11B. On that variety the bottom of the G (6-7 O'clock position) has a big gap between it and the oval. On the WI11A variety it is almost touching the oval, like in your pictures. At least that's what these tired, old eyes see. Here's some pictures, see what you think

milco
08-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Awesome find!

rsarge1
08-09-2010, 10:04 PM
wtg very nice hunt :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2010, 10:48 PM
It was in a bad spot being in the tire tracks. Most of the rain would have settled there. Don't give up on it yet, the dirt tarnishes the silver on it. Wait until Del sees it and see if he thinks the CLR will work on that button. Then it will brighten up a lot. I'll give you 50 bucks for it :devilish: rofl

well the driveway was on a incline going up hill so, not much rain if any collected there.like a 45 degree up hill slope

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Hey Dave, I'm sorry but I really disagree with that guy. It is not WI11B. On that variety the bottom of the G (6-7 O'clock position) has a big gap between it and the oval. On the WI11A variety it is almost touching the oval, like in your pictures. At least that's what these tired, old eyes see. Here's some pictures, see what you think

G hogge on TNET said this when i replied we think it's an 11-A...

Spacing on the 11b is wrong for yours. Your letters are too close and the bands are short. 11b has medium spaced letters and yours are tight. It was actually pretty easy to ID. WI-11a or Cobb #5.
There is often alot of confusion on 5 and 5a examples. Look at the colored plates not the black and white. Spacing on the 11b is wrong for yours. Your letters are too close and the bands are short. 11b has medium spaced letters and yours are tight. If you look closely at the 5 example, theG is set lower than the W, as is yours. On the 5a or Alberts 11-b, the G is set even with the top of the W, and there is more spacing between the insides of the oval. Your spacing is set very tight around the G inside the oval. It was actually pretty easy to ID. WI-11a or Cobb #5. Although these examples are extremely close, they were punched from different dies. It is also interesting to note that there are ONLY 80-85 examples,( an estimate from 2003 til now), of ALL 4 varieties. So given that, there may be only 25, or so, of yours. By the same token, there could be 40 of yours.....20 a's.....20 b's and 5 Emilios. Those figures are not available. But then again, if someone needs your example for their collection, $$$$+ It is a very nice example.

catskillcomics
08-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Holy Moly! Great Find! I would be trembling too <:

del
08-10-2010, 01:56 PM
hey Davey congrats and welcome to the G.W. CLUB its about time you made it , thats the good news . the bad news is Gary is probably never inviting you detecting with him again for as long as you live lol rofl rofl . i'm currently out of town and without resources so i really can't make a judgement on the type of variety . 8/ lol hey how a natural colored lighting picture (not the usual dingy yellow looking one , lighten it up ) to get the truer color of the patina . it looks like its in great shape no bends or chewed up ( theres a hint on what ones to find George :poke: :tongue: lol) mega congrats man and i'll be looking forward to seeing it up close the next time we get together to hunt .

sweet historical find , Dave

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
hey Davey congrats and welcome to the G.W. CLUB its about time you made it , thats the good news . the bad news is Gary is probably never inviting you detecting with him again for as long as you live lol rofl rofl . i'm currently out of town and without resources so i really can't make a judgement on the type of variety . 8/ lol hey how a natural colored lighting picture (not the usual dingy yellow looking one , lighten it up ) to get the truer color of the patina . it looks like its in great shape no bends or chewed up ( theres a hint on what ones to find George :poke: :tongue: lol) mega congrats man and i'll be looking forward to seeing it up close the next time we get together to hunt .
sweet historical find , Dave

thanks Dan,
i'll try to post a more natural lighted one just for you buddy.and stop pickin on G :behave:
he has 4 to our 1 :hammer:
ok Dan here ya go,i tried with natural sun lighting rather than light bulb

coinnut
08-10-2010, 09:36 PM
i'm currently out of town and without resources so i really can't make a judgement on the type of variety . 8/ lol

What? You got no eyes my friend? lol I posted two pictures of the button out of Albert's book, a couple of posts above this one. Don't tell me you are skimming through the posts? rofl

Ill Digger
08-11-2010, 12:52 AM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: WHOA !!!
You did it !! :beerbuddy:
I know I've heard you say, on more than one occasion ,how this was your dream find.
I'm truly happy for ya!! And it's in primo shape too !! <:
Here's to you and your find !! :beerbuddy:
Congrats :grin:

sjv
08-11-2010, 05:27 AM
:peace: Hey!!! nice button! Looks in great condition too. What's strange is that over the past 8 plus years of reading MD magazines, on websites like this an knowing people who have found GW buttons, it seems that they are more abundant than what's listed.

I was watching Pawn Stars one night and this guy had 3 different ones. The expert said that there were 2 kinds: ones that were worn for his Inauguration and the others were Commemorative buttons. Either way, they are very historical and worth more than most coins.
Once again, Great find!!

Snowy
08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Simply amazing... really.... that's all I can say, besides the fact it's on my finds wish list!

pulltabsteve
08-11-2010, 07:17 PM
:happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: AWESOME FIND!!!!!! Thats what this hobby is all about. Having fun, being with friends, and finding some way cool stuff. Just think, if you didnt find it, it possibly would have been lost forever. Nice save!!!

Cheap Thrills
08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-12-2010, 05:37 AM
What? You got no eyes my friend? lol I posted two pictures of the button out of Albert's book, a couple of posts above this one. Don't tell me you are skimming through the posts? rofl

sorry G i did not doubt your tired old eyes :hammer:

coinnut
08-12-2010, 10:01 AM
sorry G i did not doubt your tired old eyes :hammer:

No Dave that was for Del rofl

i'm currently out of town and without resources so i really can't make a judgement on the type of variety .

I think vacation beverages might have something to do with it rofl. Have you stopped looking at that GW yet? :cheesysmile:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-12-2010, 04:35 PM
No Dave that was for Del rofl

I think vacation beverages might have something to do with it rofl. Have you stopped looking at that GW yet? :cheesysmile:

yeah i've stopped lookin at it somewhat.my dilemna is whether or not to put the fine brass bristled brush to it to get all that stubborn flaky specs all over it off or not?
my cloakers come out beautiful using that method and i know this is not your average button but,would like your opinion if i should or not?

coinnut
08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
yeah i've stopped lookin at it somewhat.my dilemna is whether or not to put the fine brass bristled brush to it to get all that stubborn flaky spces all over it off or not?
my cloakers come out beautiful using that method and i know this is not your average button but,would like your opinion if i should or not?

Easy answer...NO lol At least not yet. Find out from Dan if he ever used the CLR or Aluminum Jelly on those type of buttons (cloakers). The brush will work, but may take some of the silvering off of the button and decrease it's value, because after being in good shape and having a straight shank, the price goes up for the amount of silver that is left on it. If anything, I would soak it in water for a month if I had to, just to loosen the crud and then try a soft tooth brush on it. But for now, curb the need to scrub it lol Resist the scrub rofl

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Easy answer...NO lol At least not yet. Find out from Dan if he ever used the CLR or Aluminum Jelly on those type of buttons (cloakers). The brush will work, but may take some of the silvering off of the button and decrease it's value, because after being in good shape and having a straight shank, the price goes up for the amount of silver that is left on it. If anything, I would soak it in water for a month if I had to, just to loosen the crud and then try a soft tooth brush on it. But for now, curb the need to scrub it lol Resist the scrub rofl

yes boss i will resist the urge :cheesysmile:

coinnut
08-12-2010, 06:31 PM
yes boss i will resist the urge :cheesysmile:

That's the spirit :cheesysmile: thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-13-2010, 06:22 AM
well i soaked it over night and used a toothpick to get off quite a bit more of the black crust. some of what's left of the gilt can be seen a little better now. not gonna play with it anymore.

coinnut
08-13-2010, 07:27 AM
WOWOW :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: There is tons more there. If the CLR is OK to use, you will see a lot more of it!! Leave it for now, but that may end up being the best GW I've seen dug. I hate to do this to you Dave....but I have to give you some of this :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :clapping: lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-13-2010, 01:19 PM
WOWOW :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: There is tons more there. If the CLR is OK to use, you will see a lot more of it!! Leave it for now, but that may end up being the best GW I've seen dug. I hate to do this to you Dave....but I have to give you some of this :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :clapping: lol

rofl ok put the pom pom's down geesh :teasing:

NiagaraCountyNY
08-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Awesome find!!! I was told NOT to clean any buttons anymore when I dig them..That thing is in great shape for as long as its been in the ground.Grats!!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-13-2010, 07:51 PM
thanks everyone for the awesome replies! thumbsup01

del
08-14-2010, 02:22 PM
yes resist the brass brush as it will take the gilt finish off the button as well as the petina , i would do a hot perioxide bath and dip a soft bristled toothbrush in the solution to remove more of the stubborn dirt and crud . i'd do that a few times and the clr method of mine would be the last resort and very very diluted in water , Dave. it is a beauty with lots more gilt than i've seen from one from the ground . thumbsup01 it also looks like it has the long I in president as mine does so it could be the same variety .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-14-2010, 07:07 PM
yes resist the brass brush as it will take the gilt finish off the button as well as the petina , i would do a hot perioxide bath and dip a soft bristled toothbrush in the solution to remove more of the stubborn dirt and crud . i'd do that a few times and the clr method of mine would be the last resort and very very diluted in water , Dave. it is a beauty with lots more gilt than i've seen from one from the ground . thumbsup01 it also looks like it has the long I in president as mine does so it could be the same variety .

Dan

thanks Dan..i think i'm just gonna leave it as it is.

del
08-15-2010, 07:19 PM
thanks Dan..i think i'm just gonna leave it as it is.

George suggested just soaking in extremely hot water for an hour to loosen up the crud then taking a soft toothbrush to it won't hurt it none and won't take the gilt off either .can you confirm the long I or not , Dave .

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-16-2010, 09:12 AM
George suggested just soaking in extremely hot water for an hour to loosen up the crud then taking a soft toothbrush to it won't hurt it none and won't take the gilt off either .can you confirm the long I or not , Dave .

not sure Dan if long I or not.maybe you can tell me.here are some close ups.
and the I in president is same height as the letter I in live.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-16-2010, 09:29 AM
more pics

tanacat
08-18-2010, 01:20 PM
:shocked04: Wow BIG time congrats to you Dave! :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

Love all the pics lol I can really feel your excitement through them!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-20-2010, 06:15 PM
:shocked04: Wow BIG time congrats to you Dave! :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

Love all the pics lol I can really feel your excitement through them!

thanks Tana!

tanacat
08-20-2010, 06:20 PM
I checked out some of the final auction bids :shocked04:stretcher: amazing something so small can be so valuable...

milco
08-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Man that cleaned up very nicely! Still can't believe such an awesome find, you definitely put in your mosquito and hiking time to earn that one!

tanacat
08-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Do you have it soaking in olive oil Dave? It's bugging me, I want to see it again... if you've been messing with it. As I imagine you have.

I admit I'm a scraper, a peeler... lol I love to peel old wallpaper off plaster walls in Victorian homes, the shedding skin off my pet snakes and iguanas, the nail polish off my toe nails, you catch my drift :cheesysmile: You must think I'm very wierd right now.

del
08-26-2010, 02:29 AM
Do you have it soaking in olive oil Dave? It's bugging me, I want to see it again... if you've been messing with it. As I imagine you have.

he better not be messing with it , i told him he's gonna go blind if he did. lol lol :teasing: rofl
what ya been up to Davey , you've been very quiet lately :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout:

tanacat
08-26-2010, 06:47 AM
he better not be messing with it , i told him he's gonna go blind if he did. lol lol :teasing: rofl
what ya been up to Davey , you've been very quiet lately :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout:

:behave: :behave: :behave: bad boy

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-27-2010, 12:23 PM
no..i'm not messin with it anymore.
olive oil don't do crap on my finds.idk why everyone rants and raves about olive oil. :crazy:

foundation hunter
02-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Does this bring back memories.

Bell-Two
02-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Well it has all been said in the replies it is lovely...and good to see again...gotta look at something other than snow!

pa-searcher
02-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Reguardless which variety it may be ,that is absolutely an awesome find that most of us can only view in pictures from a magazine,and you actually dug it makes it that much more impressive.cograts on your historic day.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-11-2015, 10:44 AM
thanks you guys! I remember that day in 2010 like it was yesterday.such an exciting moment! Thought I'd never find one.fast forward to 2015 and dug 10 more since then.A few of my buttons are now on the Isabella George Washington Button web site.I'm truly blessed.