PDA

View Full Version : Last few hunts with a huge assortment of finds + a few firsts.

MangoAve
07-13-2016, 11:34 AM
It's been a while since I had time to take pics of finds and make it onto the forum here. Just after my last post I got out to a new place. Usually I don't find one place and stick with it, unless it is amassed with good finds. The only place that was ever good to keep returning was a permission and I still didn't go to often to wear out my welcome. Well, I found a spot to try, but it turned out to be just grueling exercise and a nice view. I say grueling because I went over an entire mountain to get to this site. I figured it was far enough away from the parking that people hadn't been there. Welp, it only coughed up two clad pennies. wth. The day was nice and so was the view walking over. And as always, there be a lot of pics for viewing pleasure in this thread.

Just before the holiday weekend I got out with Kev and two guys from the local club. Kev was pushing to get out, and it happened to be that one club member posted a site to meet up. We looked for a few houses that were for the mill workers. I didn't see the foundations, but I heard they were cut into a retaining wall for the dammed water. We couldn't understand these pylons until we realized from the old map there was some sort of rail system near there. Up the top of the hill was a cellar and a huge footprint for some other building. It was massive with brick and mortar on top. First signal was a nice fob. First Connecticut infantry 1917 watch fob. And apparently someone mentioned WW1 wasn't referred to with the '1' back then. At the site I also got a piece of a watch, which I thought was new. A few have assured, tho, that the pat dates '10 and such are from 1910, not 2010. There was also an area that was terraced and we didn't know why. Later on I took all the guys to a cellar I knew about. And I got the "I would have never thought of looking into a spot like this". I got a crotal there along with a suspender clip, lantern piece surrounded by .38 shells nearby, and some sort of pin. While BSing before heading out we saw a porcupine. That guy waddled pretty fast.
On Monday I got out with another guy from the detecting club. He's the one who took me to the place where I got my Nova. It was a cellar pretty far into the woods. Same one where I got the knife and fatty and buttons. This time I pulled up a larger crotal and another button. Not far from the fatty I finally picked up my first flying eagle. They aren't usually that good of shape, but I can def see the eagle. Of course it's gotta be an 1858. Happy to finally get one of these suckers. Also back down the road toward the car we stopped at a cellar I said was trashy. He finally knew what I mean by that. Same site I pulled that massive immaculate plated spoon. Right by the wall near the road I got another fist. My first thimble. Not gold or silver, but still happy to finally get one of these to say I have.
This past weekend I got out to a few hunts as well. Saturday I hit the woods where a few cellars exist. I hit one that gave a few goodies before. This time I got a small fancy two piece button. There wasn't too much other than a copper Lincoln and two horse shoes. We drove up to the main area where there was a bit of activity. I tried out the smaller coil. The first target was an ox shoe. The decent big iron I got which I could use as ornamental pieces were a big spring and a carriage step. Both are in great shape for being iron. They were on the top of the ground giving some overloads. Behind the barns I did get this odd piece. I swear I saw it before somewhere, but idr what it was. it has 1777 stamped into it. I actually found a few other pieces to it throughout a 30ft line each behind a different barn. Kinda off the hillside I got another aluminum token. This time was a Lincoln play money token from the 30's; older than the shell token from the previous weekend.
Sunday I met up with Lee, RobW, and Al. Those guys are nutz. Lol. We had a fun time. At the first spot I was ahead with my shot wheat penny. I found a different buckle there and a few other odds and ends. The next spot was a school. I pulled up a few wheats there as well. The escutcheon thing was somewhere 1905 thru the teens as The Brasscrafters made vintage bathroom fixtures from that time. I am uncertain which company the trademark picture is for. I am also uncertain what the dull lustered domed item is. The top has been deformed, obvi. The back is a separate piece and has two holes. We kinda got kicked out by the rain. Funny thing was that the rain stopped when we got back to Lee's place, He had to watch his football game. His teem won. Lee/Al it was good to see you again. Maybe we can get together again soon. Maybe you too, RobW, but it was nice to meet you.
Since it was sunny and a spot I wanted to check out wasn't too far, maybe 30 min away, I went to scout it out. There were a bunch of stone walls and def some activity. It was way too overgrown there. Maybe a return trip in the fall is warranted. I did catch a few nice snaps. The stone wall looks so Zen. That's the way I find detecting. There were some scarier trees than what Davey and Todd seen. Lol. I took a panorama of the cow passage and it is deceiving in the pic. The close wall is actually straight.... idk. lol. But I did find a big ol' dandy there. I think there has to be a cellar cuz I cant imagine the activity be so far away from the nearest house that is standing. The cows would have been much closer.

This was the total take from 6 hunts. Sorry, Dan... I had nothing to show for our hunt even tho it was good company.

aloldstuff
07-13-2016, 12:37 PM
It was good to see you again Jim. Love that fob. Posting 2 crotal bells is huge. That carriage step is absolutely beautiful, repurpose as a flower pot holder?

9 of your future goals are on my hit list.

Digger_O'Dell
07-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Lots of great finds and a nice read, congrats! Love those bells, hoping to find one some day myself.

Bucknut
07-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Wow what did you not find?! Congrats on your fist Flying Eagle cent. Hope to find one too some day!

OxShoeDrew
07-13-2016, 04:21 PM
I'd love to find a flying eagle Jim, congrats! That watch fob is special....can you post a close up? Those shell tokens are a drag. They sound great, then look great in the hole, then feel light in your hand :( Nice goin!

BTV Digger
07-13-2016, 05:03 PM
Thanks for posting Jim and a wonderful assortment of finds. The carriage step and watch fob are great finds indeed! Also congrats on the Flying Eagle. I've only found one and it's an 1857 so was curious as to why you assume 1858? Am I missing something? That last "overgrown" cellar hole you show is quite "undergrown" in my neck of the woods right now!

John

Lodge Scent
07-14-2016, 08:10 AM
More nice finds Jim! Some nice pics too. No porcupines yet here in southeast MA. I think Rt 495 is unfortunately too tough a barrier to cross for slow moving animals.

MangoAve
07-14-2016, 08:31 AM
It was good to see you again Jim. Love that fob. Posting 2 crotal bells is huge. That carriage step is absolutely beautiful, repurpose as a flower pot holder?

9 of your future goals are on my hit list.

Thanks, Al. That fob is one of the finds I will have to find a way to display. I thought there was a time when I got 3 crotals in a hunt. Still not as bad as the bell queen from Youtube. Idk... that does seem like an idea for the carriage step. I can prob take a pic of the spring as I think Drew wanted a close up of the Fob. I can prob do something with the spring as well cuz it has a few holes along the length where I can put hooks or chain loops. Maybe for lighting or just decoration. The step.. possible flower pot holder. Kev mentioned, also, that carriages get refinished. Maybe one item I could possibly sell that wouldn't be a heartbreak to give up.

So there are 6 of my goals you have met already... no competition here. lol.

Lots of great finds and a nice read, congrats! Love those bells, hoping to find one some day myself.

Thanks Chris. If you can get a few LC out there, I am sure you might be able to find one of those bells. They lasted up until the early 1900s before cars ruled the roads. Idk why it'd be so hard to find. Altho, I will give the fact many of the bell makers were in NE... and a lot specifically in E Hampton or N Britain CT.

Wow what did you not find?! Congrats on your fist Flying Eagle cent. Hope to find one too some day!

Lol, Buck. They say at some of the preserves to not leave anything behind. I take it too literal. Thanks. Idk how I managed one before finding Spanish silver.. but I did it. Good luck on nabbing one yourself.

I'd love to find a flying eagle Jim, congrats! That watch fob is special....can you post a close up? Those shell tokens are a drag. They sound great, then look great in the hole, then feel light in your hand :( Nice goin!

Don't worry, Drew. It'll happen. Thanks.. Ill get a pic of the front and back. Lol... I can get pics of both sides of cruddy buttons that are newer, but not of the better find like the FOB. The FE back is a little toasty, too. But at least the fob has a maker like all the other fobs and medals I found. Oh, hell yeah about those tokens. Better than a big y token. I'm sitting here wondering why all those boys in ILL pick them up regularly... then finally I nab one. That 30's play money is just as light. I did think I had something good like silver too...

Thanks for posting Jim and a wonderful assortment of finds. The carriage step and watch fob are great finds indeed! Also congrats on the Flying Eagle. I've only found one and it's an 1857 so was curious as to why you assume 1858? Am I missing something? That last "overgrown" cellar hole you show is quite "undergrown" in my neck of the woods right now!

John

Thanks John. Maybe I can get a close up, but I saw an 8 in the date... at the end. Seeing as they were only made 3 years, it narrows it down considerably. Sorry.. I know I took the pic with the light to accentuate the eagle whilst it doesn't show the date well. Maybe the view from the cow passage toward the east would have been better.. I could not walk thru there. Certain areas were open enough to swing, tho.. otherwise how could I have found the dandy..

MangoAve
07-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Here's the close-ups as requested. Bastian Brothers in Rochester, NY. I did not get the spring pic yet as I was busy with the pics of the finds for the next post...

Digger Don
07-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Man, you found a lot of cool finds. My favorite has to be the Flying Eagle. #1 on my bucket list, but I doubt I'll ever find one here in Illinois.
Great hunts, CONGRATS

del
07-17-2016, 04:59 PM
Great WWI Connecticut fob Jim :smitten:

MangoAve
07-22-2016, 07:28 AM
Man, you found a lot of cool finds. My favorite has to be the Flying Eagle. #1 on my bucket list, but I doubt I'll ever find one here in Illinois.
Great hunts, CONGRATS

Thanks, Don. Sometimes I get a little jelly others are finding the stuff I want to find, but thanks for the assurance I find some cool items. I am so happy to finally get one of those. Sure it's not the greatest and not worth a heck of a lot, but at least I can say I have found one. Maybe now they'll be easier to come by. I am sure you have the ability to find them. Esp if a KG2 could be found a little further west.

Great WWI Connecticut fob Jim :smitten:

Thanks, Danny. The map Matt had for the place had no name associated with the houses in the area. So there was no help there, but I was able to find some information. I gave up after that because I would need to drive all the way down there again to the assessor to find records dating back to sometime around 1919 seeing as the war ended 1918. Idr if there was information I found on the CT infantry from Ancestry or some info from the LOC, but I did get a list of about 245 names of people from that town enlisted (it was a war so there would be more enlisted than down time). I could make the effort to actually find who that belonged to.

The Rebel
07-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Killer finds & pix's. Love that Fob!