PDA

View Full Version : Dime Trifecta with my kids

Bucknut
07-20-2016, 03:46 PM
Last Saturday I took all 4 of my kids to an old town to give my wife a break. We spent the majority of time at an old park so that the boys could detect and fish and my girls could pick wild black raspberries. We did not catch any fish but we did well dirt fishing! I found the merc and the 1949 Canadian dime and my youngest boy found a 1946 Rosie for the tagteam international trifecta. We picked 6 quarts of black raspberries and my wife spent most of Monday making pies....now she needs another day off!

Sunday evening my youngest boy (11 yrs old) mentioned to me he wished that there was an old house he could detect. I told him that the home 2 doors down from us was on the 1876 map and that if he wanted to I was ok with him walking down to ask permission. We live in the country so its not like the neighbors are literally a 1 minute walk away. Anyways he really wanted to give it a try the next day so I gave him the "sales pitch" to use since we do not know these neighbors. (and who would say no to an 11 yr old kid anyway right?) So Monday afternoon he left me a voice mail on my phone telling how I am going to "hate him" because he found a coin from 1860's and it was made out of nickel and smaller than a half dime. At first I was thinking he found a 3 cent nickel but I thought that there is no way he found one of those! He has to be joking! Well he was....unfortunately. He did well and found 5 wheats, a big New Zealand penny, an old brass ring, play money, and a valve stem cover to a Model T. I am proud of him for going up to that home and ask for permission...never easy for me to do it.

Last evening I hit a spot in an old town I have gone over in the past. Managed a couple of silvers (the merc was crazy shiny right out of the ground), 1936 Buff and a really cool button. Its a Fire Department 2 pc button with an intact shank. The back reads Superior Quality. I would guess early 1900's.

Thanks for looking!

Digger_O'Dell
07-20-2016, 04:05 PM
Great set of finds and some nice team work, congrats!

aloldstuff
07-20-2016, 04:11 PM
WTG on that "international" "tagteam" effort trifecta. Super nice that your son actually asked for and received his 1st permission.

wisconsin digger
07-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Kudos to you on spending the day dirt and regular fishing with the kids. In trying to get my son involved in the hobby he found 4 silver quarters in 1 day and has not gone out again. He did however turn into a really good fisherman so 1 out of 2 ain't bad. Great finds as usual and I really would like some of those berries. Great day with the kids and congrats to your son on a good hunt WD.

milco
07-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Sweet finds, sounds like a great time! I can get my kids to hike in the fields with me and look for arrowheads, but not detecting, WTG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MangoAve
07-22-2016, 08:00 AM
Grats on the button and the silvers. I wonder why they used the same image on the dimes as they did on the pennies.. I like that NZ penny the most because it just looks so different than what gets pulled.

Bucknut
07-22-2016, 09:04 AM
Grats on the button and the silvers. I wonder why they used the same image on the dimes as they did on the pennies.. I like that NZ penny the most because it just looks so different than what gets pulled.

I think that all of the countries that honor/acknowledge the king or queen in Britain use an image of them on all of their coins. Canada, New Zealand, Australia amongst others. The other side of the NZ coin has the exact same image as the Canadian dime. I prefer British royalty over the current people on US coins...BUT the older US coins with Lady Liberty are by far the prettiest!

Digger Don
07-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Congrats on spending a great day with the kids!!
You guys got a very good assortment of coins and relics.
I really like that FD button.!

BTV Digger
07-23-2016, 11:54 AM
What a great day out with the kids, and you got a little treasure to boot! Agree with Jim that the older NZ coin is a really unique find and in the top 2 on this hunt for you (imo). The FD button would rank #1. Keep diggin' the goodies!

John