PDA

View Full Version : Morning lake hunt, first water ring.

Digger_O'Dell
07-20-2016, 05:23 PM
Hi all,
Got out this morning after work for about 2 hours to hit the frigid lake michigan waters. For once the lake was calm and the water clear, perfect conditions for a wade. I was hoping since it's midsummer that there would be lots to find off a crazy popular beach.
There was only one other detectorist combing the beach with his coinmaster when I arrived, so had hope of no competition. I had a chat with him later and he showed me his yellow find of the day-a yellow sand bucket! LOL
I guess the water must still be too cold for swimming because there was little to find, hardly even a pull tab. But about 45 minutes in I found one small area in maybe knee high water that started giving up coins. But amid a couple dimes I got a screamer high signal, and a simple scoop and swish revealed a mammoth stainless ring. My first ring in the basket! Even though it wasn't gold, it's still a great first and I'm happy with it. Now just need to find a place where people actually swim!

MangoAve
07-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Nice ring. I do wonder why I was a screamer signal being stainless. I def know why you heard it, tho. Idk how many washers I find just because it 'Looks" like a coin the a machine by the shape, however, I can tell how bad the vdi changes that I am not expecting much before I dig. Still gotta dig it anyway to be sure cuz itz better than all the other 12,000 iron blips and grunts I passed over before hand.

Digger_O'Dell
07-22-2016, 08:29 AM
It was a screamer because it was just under the sand and is a huge, beefy thing. No idea what stainless alloy it is, which can also make a big difference.

Digger Don
07-22-2016, 10:29 AM
Congrats on the cool ring. My guess is that it is 304 Stainless or better.

Digger_O'Dell
07-23-2016, 12:26 AM
Here's a couple better pics. I also found the listing at Zales, on clearance. The stones are real black diamonds.
(Just sold it for $50, guy offered $75, but wanted to be fair)

http://www.zales.com/mens-enhanced-black-diamond-accent-cable-ring-two-tone-stainless-steel-size/product.jsp?productId=13154709