PDA

View Full Version : Ghost town silver, and some tearout coins.

Digger_O'Dell
07-22-2016, 10:03 PM
Hi all,
Got out today despite the heat and humidity making life miserable. After a brief try at water hunting the lake and being driven out by the big waves from last night's storm I decided to try an old Mormon ghost town. I was there last year with my X-Terra but the EMI made detecting impossible. This time at least the CTX was able to limp through and score a couple finds. Although it was a Mormon settlement from 1845-50, I didn't find anything from that age except square nails. But i did manage a 1944D war nickle and a 1943 merc. I also found part of a pocket watch frame and a piece of mystery copper.

After suffering from the heat I decided to head towards work and see if anything else looked good to stop and detect. I thought to head towards an old park I haven't been to before, but on the way I spotted a one side street tearout. Unfortunately I was a bit late as they had the new sidewalk and curbs poured already but the street was wide open. There were several 1800s buildings on this stretch, so I thought it looked good enough.
Mostly I found zincolns -go figure. But one area I got a couple deeper signals and pulled some really crusty pennies, covered in old tar and gravel. But after cleaning I was able to determine I had 1919 and 1914 wheatie, and a pretty bad shape IH that I'm pretty sure is an 1898.
I'll have to keep watch on this area for the tearout of the other side of the street and sidewalk as it shows great promise!

The wheaties are not quite as bad as that indian. Guess coins don't hold up well to traffic and gravel :shocked01:

OxShoeDrew
07-23-2016, 04:32 AM
Many people seem to have luck at tearouts. I've only tried it once...with a forum mate here...the police shooed us away:(
Is that a spoon bowl next to the watch part? Nice job!

Digger_O'Dell
07-23-2016, 04:54 AM
Is that a spoon bowl next to the watch part? Nice job!

Nope, not a spoon bowl. Thin flat copper, no markings. Hence the "mystery copper"

BTV Digger
07-23-2016, 11:59 AM
Good snags. I've never tried tearouts but folks like you and others do find success in those. Congrats on the old silver!

John

aloldstuff
07-24-2016, 04:43 AM
Yes the heat and the humidity have been horrible lately. Good finds at the tear out. Keep watching for the other side to be done. Years ago we had in our hometown about a 5 year tear out done.

wisconsin digger
07-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Nice finds. Your tougher than I as I tried it for an hour on Friday night and had to call it quits due to the heat. I'm glad we got some rain though. Nice finds and congrats on the silver. WD

MangoAve
07-27-2016, 09:53 AM
Nice finds. I have yet to do a tear out. I did kinda once... There was a street tear out with an 1860-ish and an early 1800s down a ways. There wasn't much traffic but it was a street and compact so we didn't stay more than 20 min. Only 1 car drove down there the whole time. I do wonder how come there was emi in a ghost town.. lol. No one picked up on that?

Digger_O'Dell
07-27-2016, 12:37 PM
It's funny, there's been a few places like that with old history that has EMI so bad it can't be detected. This was one, another was around some indian mounds, and another was next to an old graveyard. There is no reasonable explanation.