PDA

View Full Version : Silver and ....

Snowy
08-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Joe and I both had the day off so we hit the water early. We never came home until 4 PM.

The 1940 Merc was my first dig of the day.The Buff nickel a short time after that. Then we moved on to another place I've no idea why, but Joe suggested it, so off we went.

I'm trying the aluminum foil trick on the Merc.

angellionel
08-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Good finds there, Donna. The merc should clean up well. That cannabis pendant is interesting. :cheesysmile:

Snowy
08-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks. We'll see about the Merc. It's my first time trying this so I very well could end up ruining it, if that's possible with this process.
It's a 1940, so if I ruin it, I'll at least be able to see it and read it better. It's only going in a binder anyway.

When we got to the second place I was in the water less than 5 minutes and I was swarmed by kids. I looked up and I was surrounded by them.
I moved away so I had to walk on my tippy toes cuz I knew they couldn't go out that far. Their mother kept yelling at them to not go too deep.
When I finally came out I was swarmed again. &quot:grin:idja find anything? Junk and trash. Gues it doesn't work, then, huh. Yeah, if the stuff is there. but people throw trash in the water. Not good. (And with that, the children moved on.... and so did I, to another section of the beach.)

We were AWEFUL today! We couldn't stay out of the water. And when it was about time to come home, we wanted to go somewhere else.

So... here's the merc so far. Think I ruined it.

angellionel
08-11-2010, 06:10 PM
The merc looks okay to me. :confused: The process does not ruin the coin... it simply removes the sulfide. If the coin has pits, then those would show, of course, but your merc looks fine. It simply needs another treatment. :yes:

After the treatment you may also want to try to very lightly rub a paste of baking soda on the coin, holding it between thumb and forefinger while doing so, and only to lighten any dark areas. Avoid overdoing it, especially on the high points, as that would make the coin unnaturally shiny.

Snowy
08-11-2010, 07:28 PM
I'll work it some more this weekend. Can't wait for my next day off, Sunday. We're going to a new place. And... in the water, of course! Won't be long and it'll be too cold to get out there in these parts.

coinnut
08-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Nice Merc and I think it's on it's way to being clean. You are doing it right thumbsup01 You two are rockin' for never trying the water thing! :beerbuddy:

Snowy
08-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Nice Merc and I think it's on it's way to being clean. You are doing it right thumbsup01 You two are rockin' for never trying the water thing! :beerbuddy:

Thanks. We're just having a blast out there. And at the end of every day I ask myself, Why can't we just do this for a living?! Then I chuckle. It's getting kinda tiring, the depression that comes at the end of the day. Like last night... got home, I worked on supper while Joe formatted pics, ate, cleaned up, caught up on forums, then I mosied over to the couch and plopped down and voiced my thoughts... I could go for another day tomorrow like we just had today.

There's a place up n orth of us we want to hit, almost went yesterday but it's almost 2 hours one way. I want two days off in a row to do that, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

This Sunday we're going to a new place... and next Sunday we may just hit that place 2 hours north. We'll see.

coinnut
08-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I would love to do that for a living lol but reality does strike hard when you realize you have to work in the morning :ticked: I just take them as they come and enjoy each minute swinging a coil :yes: