PDA

View Full Version : Here is a thought ....

del
08-07-2016, 09:43 PM
You ever have a interesting looking item you found but knew nothing or very little about it ? You posted the item on the forum when you first found it only to not get a lot of help in identifying it or just enough to point you in the right direction . Then later on as you learn more or "accidentally come across info " or found some great info by researching about it only to make the item even more interesting , cool and special ? What you do now , it would seem a bit odd to re post the same find ?

I think this very subject would make an excellent sub-category to the forum , a Show & Tell so to speak! The Item you re post now is not just " here is my find" but has a story , maybe a bit of history and possibly provenance or at the very least the most up to date information with better pictures after it was cleaned up some ! Again I don't want to just see a find , I want its background , its age , maybe who wore/had it , maybe you know who's it was and returned it to them . I think I would like this sort of category better than The Display Case one or maybe we could merge the two into one ?

Would anyone else be interested in this type of forum ?? Lets hear your ideas!

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
08-08-2016, 04:49 AM
I like that idea, sort of a follow up on something. For example, the silver napkin ring I just found. What in i can get it restored? A whole new entry at relic finds may not be appropriate. Adding to the original thread could make it way too long, or not likely to be seen at all!

OxShoeDrew
08-08-2016, 08:39 AM
You ever have a interesting looking item you found but knew nothing or very little about it ?
:lol: EVERY TIME, in my case! Good idea Dan! I bet it wouldn't be a huge change in that sub-category...maybe just change the name a bit. :thumbsup01:

MangoAve
08-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Interesting concept, Dan. (sounds like there still is a bit of admin still kicking around in ya.) I'll def admit there have been a few interesting items I have pulled where there was a bit of research that went on. I.E. the ECCC token I found, the medals from the medal spill, the WW1 fob which I haven't gone further with (yet?) It would be nice to not just know what the item was, but the details on what makes it special. Sometimes it'd include those love tokens.

Umm would that cut down on my novels of the find, then add a new post on the information? :hystericallaugh:

Beartoe
08-09-2016, 08:35 AM
I like the idea. It is always interesting to unearth the history of an item. This would allow us to not only share the find but what the interesting back ground information is.

I bet we all have an item or two we would like to display and share the history / background.

I give two thumbs up on this idea. :thumbsup01::thumbsup01:

aloldstuff
08-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a winner. We all have some special item that needs more research. Perhaps if a member is stuck on his research, doesn't know which way to turn, then maybe other forum members could give suggestions in which way to go.