PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying my first metal detector.

ATC
08-07-2016, 11:44 PM
Hi all! :grin:
I've been interested in the metal detecting hobby ever since I was a kid, but I never acted on it. I blame it on those old gold mining & sluicing shows that used to be on TV 15+ years ago.

I found a pretty neat Youtube channel a few days ago, and it has really brought my interest back.

So what kind of machine would you suggest for me? I'd like something waterproof, as there are a lot of rivers, creeks, ponds, and lakes around here I'd like to scour the banks & shallows of. There are also a few spots I'd like to check that are only accessible by canoe/kayak. This in addition to old parks, schools, churches, farms, & RR's...which are abundant. I think there's also some civil war camps & battle locations nearby. Looking at aerial photo's from 1949 look promising

I'd like to keep it under $300. Closer to $250 would be better, but don't mind going a little more as long as it's worth it.

The only brand I've done a little research on so far is Garrett. Off to take a look at the others... ;)

OxShoeDrew
08-08-2016, 08:34 AM
I'm glad you joined us ATC! I'd bet you'd have to get a second-hand machine to go into the water at that price point...but I haven't looked into it in a while. Most detector coils are water proof, so you'd have no problem with any make/model, but to submerge entire machine is different. That would be maybe twice your price. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to your posts!

calabash digger
08-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Buy an AT pro I use to swing one tried true and tested, just got my son in law one a while back for 500.00 shipped call around and haggle someone will sell you one around that price.

ATC
08-09-2016, 06:52 AM
Thanks guys! Good to know that most of the coils are waterproof. I mainly wanted it waterproof for if (when) I drop it in the water, or slip on a rock and fall in, or the afternoon thunderstorms. I don't plan on swimming with it....ideally, I won't be in anything deeper than my knees.

The AT Pro looks like a nice machine, but I'd don't want to drop $500-600 to "try" the hobby just yet. The guy I watch on Youtube uses the AT Gold, so I really like their capabilities. I was thinking more along the lines of the ACE 350 (maybe 400), Whites TreasureMaster (maybe TreasurePro), or Minelab X-Terra 305...

Beartoe
08-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Hey ATC

To make sure you understand. Most detectors are NOT water proof. The coil all by itself is water proof. If you slip and fall while knee deep in water , you may get the operating electronics submerged and wet. Not Good.

Although my detector is not a water detector I use it often in shallow water, being careful not to drop it.

I hope you find the detector of your dreams.

ATC
08-10-2016, 06:14 AM
Hey ATC

To make sure you understand. Most detectors are NOT water proof. The coil all by itself is water proof. If you slip and fall while knee deep in water , you may get the operating electronics submerged and wet. Not Good.

Although my detector is not a water detector I use it often in shallow water, being careful not to drop it.

I hope you find the detector of your dreams.

Yes, I understand. Thank you.

There are a couple AT-Pros on Craigslist a couple hours from me. One like new for $350 and one that's been used only a few months with an extra coil, spade, and a pinpointer for $450. There's also an ACE 300 for a good price. I might poke around a bit more and send them an Email

MartinL
08-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Yes, I understand. Thank you.

There are a couple AT-Pros on Craigslist a couple hours from me. One like new for $350 and one that's been used only a few months with an extra coil, spade, and a pinpointer for $450. There's also an ACE 300 for a good price. I might poke around a bit more and send them an Email

I jump at the one for $450 if you can handle it, depending on what pinpointer is included. If it was me, I would get the serial number off of the detector first and call Garretts to be sure of it's warranty and to be sure it's not stolen. That bundle sounds very good if the pinpointer is also Garretts.

ATC
08-12-2016, 04:34 AM
I haven't heard anything back from them. The ads were posted a month ago, so they may already be gone...

riveraiders60
09-01-2016, 03:33 PM
You can waterproof an Ace 150 for $20 bucks and the machine is about $150.