PDA

View Full Version : Sweet silver applied shoe buckle, first holed coin, and a bunch more relics.

MangoAve
08-10-2016, 12:15 PM
There has been two new spots I have been checking out. One is filled with fun stuff to dig, the other only had a few things to find. Both spots are quite a hike in to find. I have hit one older spot recently and only nabbed two relics, but now there's more of an area that I am aware to hit.

Twice I got out to one cellar which is gonna remain an undisclosed location. The first time was a quicker hunt after work. Even on a Friday doesn't matter when it comes to the setting sun. The return Saturday gave me a bit more time to hunt, tho. On the Saturday I was able to go around to the far back of the property and find either a cabin site or a really old cellar. Either way there was a depression with a slight hill on the west side like a chimney pile, and a ginormous stone pile to the east 150-200 ft away. It def looked like it didn't belong to the main cellar. There was a creek in between and it's own fields, however only the main cellar had a well and humongous barn. For some reason there were only two items I could find by the back cellar along with a surface find of an old bottle. I keep forgetting that bottle is soaking in the utility sink. I kinda waited too long to get things in order for posting to have things separated out and explain the arduous events at the hunts.

The first time I was able to score the conestoga bell, the larger of the two crotals, a musket spill (2), and the purse clasp. Yet another purse with no coins to come up. However even the whole property so far hasn't had any coins. But with high VDI targets that I been finding and how much finds, I am certain it wasn't a hit site. There is no way someone has selectively nabbed the coins and nothing else. Sure there are a bunch of overload signals, but still not enough to discourage the avid detectorist. There were a few other odd items that I didn't bother picturing. Scrap metal. Which I am now thinking to return some of it as I have 6 trash car rotors to bring in and I think either scrap the brass or give some brass items like lantern pieces to historical societies. Mangled items are just not worth keeping imo.

I have not been able to identify the wording on (pewter or zinc alloy) bottle pourer. But at least someone was able to give the ID on the item. The small aluminum thing is a pendant. That metal becomes frail when oxidized so the loop broke off. It is an odd item with someone like Jesus on the front along with another figure and zodiac or constellation symbols. The back has a landscape of a town and an early 20's roadster convertible. The big lock piece came near the cellar whilst the item that looks like it would go inside, came from the far back cellar near a tree. That's over 200ft away, through a rock wall, and over a creek. No way it was dragged by a plow. Or it is a watch piece. I forgot the whatsit ID from my club meeting, but someone verified the shells as the old .45 long rifle shells that were some of the first styles made.
Hey Drew, I am now tied with ya on the oldest dog tag at 1907! haha. Guess many towns in CT used the same acorn shape. The place must have lasted a while as there were well worn foot paths where most of the finds came from. The big button I was hoping was a GW as I got the tone (like a dandy vdi). It has a bunch of gilt left, but alas, it is just a regular button. The heart design item is intriguing; definitely something that was worn in the same manner as a pin or medal.
I think the big rings are for curtains. They are hollow. And some immaculate nails. Lol.. iron.
I also cannot figure out what that ornate item is. No one has an idea, yet it won when it came to fotm at the club. It looks like it had a tiny wire at the end. Maybe something like a top to inkwell or perfume.
This Saturday I hit a place with a few cellars to it. I was aware of only two, plus one near where I parked. Turns out there were two more. Now Idk if the closer cellar was the one gone first cuz both were slightly different locations than the map had. One was further south and the other much further north. I just can imagine the closer one to the old "road" or more likely a driveway to the whole property being abandoned and the further one still occupied. The far one is where I spent most of the day. I was seeing stone walls and places that looked like there could be a cellar. Even a spot that looked like maybe a cabin was there long ago, but no positive VDIs nearby to dig. It was right on a slight hillside with an obvious wall and slightly terraced levels. Certainly a spot someone might check out. However that brings about the question how someone can check there with their machine and completely miss the coin directly over the road near the well on a slight incline. I am guessing the coin is a KG2. I can def see the woman on the reverse after cleaning and I think I can see a left facing bust on the obverse. Can't rule out the CT copper. Either way It was the first time pulling up a holed coin. The button came from out back along this hiking path. And the odd buckle with many loops came from way, way back toward where the driveway was E-W toward the closer cellar. The huge cellar up the old ROAD I took some time at the end of the day to check. Found one of the two on the right side. The huge one had no good targets and an overgrown field. There was another one on the left side of the road, which was not on the map. It had a creek right behind it. Then I was outta there. A fourteen minute ride to another spot.. and it was a bust too. Spent an hour with the hiking to, back, and total swinging time. A few buckets were hanging from trees.
Last night I went to an older spot and pulled up the smaller crotal and a musket drop. It is a little deformed with a slight cone shape. There's plenty more area to check. The final Item I have no clue. Looks like a buckle as a piece of fabric or strap would go through it. There was def a louvered slat and the two main pieces were riveted together. I'm thinking either a briefcase with a strap or some reason a strap would go through the side of a wagon/stage coach. idk..

OxShoeDrew
08-10-2016, 02:04 PM
That buckle is ridiculously nice Jim!! :drool: Yeah, we have the exact same acorn and year! I think it was Al maybe who found a dog tag from the 1800s! :shocked03: ...and three bells!!! wow, heck of a streak! What are those rings, 15th pic down? I find those too.

aloldstuff
08-10-2016, 02:57 PM
I wish I had a dog tag from the 1800's, mine is dated 1907 just like you guys.
Nice looking group of bells and the buckle looks fantastic.
I think I earned 3 college credits by reading this post cause I'm sure it equals to what I read in college....lol

del
08-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Jim , the shoe buckle is a spectacular find :loveit: a great sign that there is more "wealth" hiding around in the area . congrats on all the bells :cheering:too , I hope you do well there on your next visit .

I think I earned 3 college credits by reading this post cause I'm sure it equals to what I read in college....lol

:lol: come on now Al , Jim is getting much better on his posts ! I don't have to stop halfway through them to go to the bathroom any more !!;)

CTTodd
08-10-2016, 08:24 PM
That's a killer shoe buckle. Very nice.

Lodge Scent
08-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Great bunch of finds Jim.:clapping: Congrats on that excellent buckle !!! Nice pics. Those blackberries look delicious. Always good to cross paths with a box turtle. Their numbers are definitely in decline.

Digger_O'Dell
08-10-2016, 09:52 PM
Lots of great finds Jim! Love that shoe buckle, congrats!

Digger Don
08-11-2016, 07:24 AM
Man, is there anything you didn't find? Great hunt. Love the buckle

The Rebel
08-11-2016, 08:48 AM
WTG Jim! LOVE that buckle!

MangoAve
08-11-2016, 12:42 PM
That buckle is ridiculously nice Jim!! :drool: Yeah, we have the exact same acorn and year! I think it was Al maybe who found a dog tag from the 1800s! :shocked03: ...and three bells!!! wow, heck of a streak! What are those rings, 15th pic down? I find those too.

Thanks Drew. It rang like a dime. I am almost thinking to refurbish it. Def a nice display piece. It might take some doing tho.. prob cut out the old chappe blob, remove the pin (hopefully it can be), and take all the rust off the frame. Then Id like to soak the brass somehow in light acid to bring back the color but no brush marks. But then I'd have to worry on a replacement chappe and tongue and pin. I think I have one set, but not sure if they are even close to the size. And they are brass. maybe they make replicas I can use guts from,,,??
I think those rings are what I put above. Curtain rings. They sure didn't have much strength.

I wish I had a dog tag from the 1800's, mine is dated 1907 just like you guys.
Nice looking group of bells and the buckle looks fantastic.

Me too.. haha. I think It was Isaac Cuz I def remember talking with him on one town in CT that had a dog pound marked on the map. It's long demolished and a highway over it now. Thanks. Lol. Maybe you can get your degree now, but aren't you close to retirement?

Jim , the shoe buckle is a spectacular find :loveit: a great sign that there is more "wealth" hiding around in the area . congrats on all the bells :cheering:too , I hope you do well there on your next visit.

Thanks, Dan. I might have to wait until the fall to return. There is a lot of heavy growth behind the cellar in an area where I wanna check. Most of it is either barberry or brier so maybe it wont be so full. Unfortunately those aren't the ones that die off during the winter. But sure as heck a return visit it required.

That's a killer shoe buckle. Very nice.

Thanks, Todd. Biggest of the three silver applied buckles I have ever recovered. I guess it counts as a full buckle. hahaha.

Great bunch of finds Jim.:clapping: Congrats on that excellent buckle !!! Nice pics. Those blackberries look delicious. Always good to cross paths with a box turtle. Their numbers are definitely in decline.

Thanks Jeff, The blackberries were ok. Some were sweet and some sour... but at least they were wild. Better than crossing paths with a snapping turtle... which has happened. I didn't know about the turtles declining. I believe the few I have spotted were in the same town, kinda same areas. I was only aware the rattlesnakes in decline.

Lots of great finds Jim! Love that shoe buckle, congrats!

Thanks, Chis.

Man, is there anything you didn't find? Great hunt. Love the buckle

Haha, Thanks Don. With what you say, it's only a matter of time until I find those bucket listers I'm still waiting on.

WTG Jim! LOVE that buckle!

Thanks, Roger. I do too.

BTV Digger
08-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Nice story and great assortment of older relics Jim! Shoe buckle is #1 for sure - awesome find. I wonder if you can do some sort of electrolysis on the iron tongue, or would that be too risky? I electrolysize (sp. ??) a number of items, but haven't tried it on something as nice as that. Also congrats on the conestoga bell and the early dog tag, also great finds.

John