PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened today...

Digger_O'Dell
08-10-2016, 08:35 PM
Yes, a funny thing happened at the old zoo today. I was hunting the area near where I found my walking liberty half the other day not far from the urban ecology center. A young man approached me and said he was from the ecology center and asked what I was doing. My first thought was "oh no", and that I was going to get another lecture about how I wasn't supposed to be digging in the park.
Well, I explained about metal detecting and told him about some finds I've had, and some of the early history of the park. As it turns out, he heads the visitor center and is supposed to know all about the park. But he soon realized he didn't know about the first 40 or so years and was fascinated to learn about everything. Very nice guy, and very smart.
Well along in the conversation I mentioned how I would love to detect the one isolated island sometime. It's only accessible by boat, but wasn't sure how I would manage that anytime soon. Next thing I know he invites me into the ecology center, hands me his card and tells me to call him so he could reserve a canoe for me whenever I want to hit the island! The only thing he wants in return is more history of the zoo so he can include it during his tours of the youngsters. Totally cool, and can't wait to hit what I expect to be virgin hunting grounds.:happydance01:

Lodge Scent
08-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Good for you! It's refreshing to find someone interested in what you are doing, rather than trying to give you boot. Good luck on that island!

OxShoeDrew
08-11-2016, 04:51 AM
Sounds great! I'm looking forward to the rest of the story. :yes: Do you remember me trying to detect by canoe and falling in? :lol:

Digger Don
08-11-2016, 07:22 AM
Great story. Good luck on the island.

MangoAve
08-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Sounds cool. Good you got some enthusiasm from the guy. Lucky for me I haven't had to explain what metal detecting is to the people who I've asked as I am remembering a few storied of asking permission and the owner was clueless and thought it was the wrong thing. You think the island had activity on it before? There are two islands near me that have had activity. One was a park at one point but is wooded now and only accessed by boat. Good luck.

Do you remember me trying to detect by canoe and falling in? :lol:

I think I remember you going out by canoe, but I think I forgot the part about you falling in. Lucky for you I forgot... :lol:

del
08-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Sounds like a great partnership in the making , I bet he would be completely thrilled to see all the older relics and items from the early park era. If it were me I think i'd make a nice display of all the things relevant and donate it to the visitor center , these make great learning tools .

Dan

aloldstuff
08-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Dan has a great idea. You've got yourself a win win situation. Can't wait for the second installment to this story.

Beartoe
08-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Good story. Sounds like you are in for some interesting treasure hunting. Just make sure there are no lions , tigers and bears on that island.

Digger_O'Dell
08-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Sounds great! I'm looking forward to the rest of the story. :yes: Do you remember me trying to detect by canoe and falling in? :lol:

Drew, I honestly can't remember reading that one, and that's not one I would forget about! If you can, drop me the link-love to read it!.

Digger_O'Dell
08-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Good story. Sounds like you are in for some interesting treasure hunting. Just make sure there are no lions , tigers and bears on that island.

Nope, no lions, tigers or bears. But i guess a few years ago they did discover a body on the island. Apparently some homeless guy crossed the ice during winter and died there, but wasn't discovered until spring.
I don't know if there would be much to find there, but I can only hope!

OxShoeDrew
08-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Here is my nautical tale- http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?17665-What-I-d-Do-For-a-Copper!

Digger_O'Dell
08-11-2016, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the interesting story Drew, but when youmentitled "kayak", I saw it coming! Don't know how I missed it, but it was shortly after I joined the forum and probably missed a lot back then. Lol