PDA

View Full Version : Long day hunting

coinnut
08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Today was one of the days that I went to help locate targets for the Pequot Indian Museum. They are trying to locate a very early fort / battle site from the 1630's. Our local club, Yankee Territorial Coinshooters (YTC) is how I got involved. So my day started out around 5 and the hunt started at 9. It's about a two hour drive each way. Did that most of the day and didn't find any targets from that time period. About 4PM some of the club members were going to one of their hunted sites and asked if I wanted to go with them. It was just down the road a ways. Then they told me that last time out a GW was found and it was a pretty one :drool: So I said yeah!!!!!!!!!! I figured, what a time to try that small Sunray 5 coil I love. Can't wait to hit that cellar hole lip :yes: We get there and they forgot to tell me that it was bulldozed 8/ So my advantage was gone lol But I did hit a copper about 40 minutes into the hunt and I was very pleased with that. Targets were sparce, except for the carpet of nails. Then I switched to the 11 coil and got the iffiest copper signal I have yet received on this machine. Almost always grunting iron, but just enough of the numbers and squeek of a high tone, that I thought this must be a copper. Either it's on edge or in a lot of iron or both. Turns out it another copper at 5 with iron below and around it. I was very pleased to get two coppers at a pretty hunted site. I think my buddies were surprised lol I won't be getting any more invites rofl Ended with a musket ball. How ironic, since that is one of the key targets I was looking for all day for the museum hunt :confused: Them coppers ain't pretty but they up my total as I struggle to hit my goal of 50 for the year. Got home around 9:30.

Epi-hunter
08-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Great finds at the end of a long day, and I love that you are part of the Pequot Indian Museum search team! That is a real honor. And you scored some coppers from the day! :) Keep us posted....

angellionel
08-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Those coppers are prettier than most of the ones I have found this year. :cheesysmile: It's a good thing you did not turn down the invite, though they may not ask again. lol That's a lot of driving though. :shocked01:

Cheap Thrills
08-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Nice going George , two coppers in one day . thumbsup01 I would be blown away if I ever found one out here on the West Coast .

Baba

coinnut
08-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Great finds at the end of a long day, and I love that you are part of the Pequot Indian Museum search team! That is a real honor. And you scored some coppers from the day! :) Keep us posted....

Yeah, it fun to work with them, they are all great people. I'm doing it once a week on Wednesdays, but I wish I could do all 3 days, but it's a long way from here lol

Those coppers are prettier than most of the ones I have found this year. :cheesysmile: It's a good thing you did not turn down the invite, though they may not ask again. lol That's a lot of driving though. :shocked01:

The coppers aren't real bad, since I can read the dates . But I ain't happy with Paw turning one into a spinner and shaving off the back side lol

Nice going George , two coppers in one day . thumbsup01 I would be blown away if I ever found one out here on the West Coast .

Baba

Hey Baba, They are rare on the west coast. If you want I'll trade some of them for the gold coins you guys find there lol But even here, two coppers in one trip makes your day!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-12-2010, 06:11 AM
nice hunt G. are ya gonna let me catch up in the copper race or what? geesh man :behave:
awesome day out and if ya need some company on the ride down on wed i'll be standing on the side of highway with my thumb out holding a sign PEQUOT or BUST

catskillcomics
08-12-2010, 07:01 AM
What a long day, did your arm nearly fall off? lol
Those coppers look a heck of a lot better than the ones I find.. at least they have detail to them. thumbsup01

coinnut
08-12-2010, 09:55 AM
nice hunt G. are ya gonna let me catch up in the copper race or what? geesh man :behave:
awesome day out and if ya need some company on the ride down on wed i'll be standing on the side of highway with my thumb out holding a sign PEQUOT or BUST

If you didn't take 6 vacations a year, you might catch me in coppers lol Are you going down on Wednesday for the Pequot hunt? You have to E Mail the club back and save a spot. You can come down with me, I'm kinda getting use to the ride. Besides, I've had every conversation with myself and have run out of things to say rofl

What a long day, did your arm nearly fall off? lol
Those coppers look a heck of a lot better than the ones I find.. at least they have detail to them. thumbsup01

My arm and legs were fine, but my stomach screamed FOOD! lol These coppers are a little bit better than average for us. We get some real toasted ones, but we can get some, almost undug looking gems too. :drool: