PDA

View Full Version : Detector recommendations

JDL
08-13-2016, 02:28 PM
I'm a newbie and I'm looking for detector recommendations. I know there is a small stash of silver and gold coins buried between 2' - 3' in sandy soil (along side a metal sided building). I've been to several product sites looking at detectors but it's a bit overwhelming.... so rather then dig up the entire property, I thought I'd turn to you experts.

I'm looking for a metal detector that will locate these coins. The coins were buried in separate locations, likely a bag of silver dimes/quarters in one spot; and in another spot is a dozen 1 oz. gold coins. I'd also like to take to the beach and do a little prospecting for lost jewelry. The ability to locate underground wiring and pipes would also be handy.

Waterproof - not necessary but would be nice to go snorkeling.
Price - under $1500 prefer under $1000
Condition - new or used w/warranty

I thank you in advance for your help.

Jeff

del
08-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Hello Jeff , your problem might be the metal sided building and how close the cache of coins is to it . A detector may interfere with this building (you may hear it instead of the coins) , also depending how large the coin cache is that depth might be hard to hit with most machines (3 feet almost impossible) unless there are a few pounds of coins there. A pulse induction detector will get the deepest but again your building will most definitely get in the way if its withing a couple of feet and you would have to be running it pretty hot for depth. There are quite a few pulse machines available although they can take a while to get use to them and even longer to get their fullest advantage and use. These are also the best machines for the wet beaches with little iron and trash .

Dan