PDA

View Full Version : First Hunt in Quite A While...

Tony Two-Cent
08-15-2016, 02:17 PM
I received a text message through a mutual friend from a detectorist who lives in this area.

The good news: He's an avid detectorist with a lot of knowledge of local history.

The bad news: He's detected this area to death. :crying02:

However, he is a super nice guy who is willing to take me to some of his productive sites. Since I moved last October I am back to square one as far as researching local history and learning about potential detecting areas.

Anyway, here are my finds from a couple of sites that this guy had pounded to death over the past ten years. I did manage to find a few keepers after all. The musket ball was from a large site that dates back to the 1850s.

Nothing earth shattering but it sure felt good to be back out there swinging. It has rained continuously for the past three days, so the conditions should be optimal for more detecting soon.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

OxShoeDrew
08-15-2016, 02:40 PM
That's some serious hunting Tony, especially at a pounded site! You are the master!! Looks like your new area has worse dirt as those wheats and indians are not up to your usual standards :lol:
Could you elaborate on how you dig nickels? My machine gives a shape by using the depth indicator, and they ring up as perfect 58s, from all directions....BUT I still dig more trash than nickels. You have any tips you'd care to share? Great job as usual Tony!

Bucknut
08-15-2016, 02:54 PM
A Tony Two Cent post! Yeah!!! Hope get out more as I can only imagine that you have been dying to get out more. If you found a Half at a cleaned out site then I bet you can find more there! That is a nice old merc...congrats on finding silver again!

Digger_O'Dell
08-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Some really nice finds Tony, well done especially at a pounded site! That merc is in nice shape for that year too. Good catch on that dated buff and indian.

Digger Don
08-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Nice to see you were able to get out swinging a little.

The only thing you missed was a quarter.

Congrats on some nice finds Tony. Cool musket Ball!!

BTV Digger
08-16-2016, 09:14 AM
Good to see a post from you Tony! As you state, nice little haul despite the areas being heavily hunted in the past. Don't sell yourself short - still good finds - and by the way, here's the IH I dug yesterday. :bummer:

MIKE54
08-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Nice hunt as usual Tony! More proof that there's always good stuff to find no matter how pounded the site is.

aloldstuff
08-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Nice to see you getting out. Your new friend should be a wealth of info. Great group of keepers especially from a pounded site.

Full Metal Digger
08-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Good to see you swinging again Tony. Best wishes for more great finds. Dave.

wisconsin digger
08-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Nice hunt Tony, miss your videos. Hope things loosen up the rest of the season. WD

milco
08-22-2016, 08:11 PM
Very glad to see some stuff posted Tony, nice finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk