PDA

View Full Version : Digging Deep For Coins

Beartoe
08-16-2016, 09:46 AM
I was reading an article on finding coins that are buried deep and it made me think about finding coins myself. Most often the coins I find are no more than six inch deep. I have even found some nice old coins just below the leaf mold in forested areas. The deepest coin I have found was a 1823 large cent at 11 inches. I found it while using a White's V3i.

I am curious. What is the deepest coin you have found , how deep and which Metal Detector were you using when you found it?

Digger_O'Dell
08-16-2016, 06:29 PM
That's a tough one. With my CTX, I dug my first large cent at about 12 to 13 inches. With my X-Terra I've dug up quarters at around 20 inches deep using my 15 inch NEL coil. I don't think it's typical that coins would be that deep naturally, but only when covered by fill dirt, construction, etc. But, my deepest find was in an area that gets flooded every spring melt which can easily cover anything in 1 to 2 feet of muck along the river banks. Great for crops, but terrible for detecting.

del
08-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Beartoe , for the longest time my deepest was a 1798 large cent at around 11 inches on my dfx with the 6x10 coil. it was a very iffy target and about every 3rd or 4th swing the tail end of the signal would resemble a high tone . Even circling all around it is sounded like deep iron nulling and spikes except for one way , then it had that tail end high at every 4th swing . I called my buddy Chris over (he had a dfx with the 12 concentric coil , he swung over it circling . He shrugged his shoulders as if to say iron or junk and wandered off . I dug it , opened a 3 inch hole and rechecked it as targets sound better once opened up with the White's machines. It sounded the same it was reading 10.5 11.5 inches deep , so i dug another 4 inches out and rechecked the target and it screamed out copper.

I've since switch to a 12x10 S.E.F. or "butterfly" coil and I don't have a problem hitting coins at 13 or 14 inches , they ring out very nicely . I also hit more deeper small buttons at 9 and 10 inches too.

OxShoeDrew
08-20-2016, 05:11 AM
I use 11in and 13in coils on my T2. My coppers this week both were at 8 or 9 in. No problem hearing and guessing they were coppers.
My deepest ever was a measured 11inches. I found it with the standard 11in factory coil. It had a consistent sound in all directions. I use "2+ sounds" so I could hear the depth. The VDI numbers were much lower than copper numbers. oh,and it was in a hay field.

calabash digger
08-20-2016, 06:53 AM
Ive never found one over nine inchs but im tagging 12 inch coins silver quarter and half in my test garden at 12 inchs deep with my Deus and my coin program with a 9 inch coil and I do belive it might just get another inch or so on that so im waiting to swing across that super deep one.

Isaac
08-21-2016, 09:56 PM
my deepest with an MXT all pro was a measured 13" war nickel.