PDA

View Full Version : Treasure! My Best SLQ an Indian Relic and more...

Bucknut
08-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Wow I have not posted in over a month! The ground here in SE Michigan has been bone dry until about 2 weeks ago. First couple pics are from early August at various parks and public spots where I managed a bit of silver and some relics including a luggage tag perhaps, locket and a Hotel tag too.

This past week I was up at my family cottage in northern Michigan. I have found many cool things up there in the past. My cottage is not too far away from Mackinac Island which has 300 + years of history not including the Native American history up there. The first day I dug 2 musket balls in my front yard...not sure how I missed this the previous 5 years as they were obvious signals. I would wager these are at least from the mid 1800s. It is well documented that when the British were occupying Fort Mackinac they would visit the area where my cottage is now...so maybe these were dropped by them?

3 summers ago I found a British 41st Regiment of Foot Officers button up near my cottage in the woods. It was made between 1787-1812.

I ended up with 6 musket balls total for the week. My youngest son also found a nice one. 4 of the 7 seemed to be dropped. I do not have a pic of the one my son found but I do have a pic of him holding a slug I found...this thing was BIG! about 4+ inches long. I think they are called leopard slugs.

I also found an indian arrow head point made out of copper. There was a lot of indian activity in that area as well and the indians would trade with the French and/or British for many things including copper. I visited the Historical Society Museum near by and they had some examples of indian copper artifacts including Tinkling Cones that were found in the area. I am a member of the Ohio Archeological Society and so is my Dad so I sent him pics of it for his opinion and he too is certain that it is indeed an indian artitact. It is 1 1/8'' long. You can tell that it was handmade because it is not perfectly symmetrical and the bevels are uneven in spots too.

The coins were hiding from me this trip with one AMAZING exception! I managed 1 silver coin and it was of my favorite US coin type. I found my best condition SLQ! A 1919 S! I have a friend who has a coin business and he thinks this is a $300 coin easily. Nothing beats finding your favorite coin type!

Well I hope to get out more since we have had some great rain here.

Jared

OxShoeDrew
08-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Unreal Jared! :wow: One great find after another!!! I've yet to find an arrow. Found a fur trader brooch but no arrows. Congratulations on some super recoveries!

aloldstuff
08-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Some great finds. Love that SLQ and your arrowhead is a fantastic find.
:congrats:

Digger_O'Dell
08-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Some great finds, love that SLQ! Congrats

Beartoe
08-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Some very impressive finds indeed.

What is the letter clip item? Have you got more information about it? It is a curious item. At first glance I thought it was a Coca Cola dodad.

Bucknut
08-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Some very impressive finds indeed.

What is the letter clip item? Have you got more information about it? It is a curious item. At first glance I thought it was a Coca Cola dodad.

The letter clip states "No. 60 Lunds Letter Clip Anders & Smith MFG Co.". I think that there is supposed to be another half with this one and they are held together by a spring. But I am just guessing.

BTV Digger
08-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Fantastic Jared, and finds from across a lengthy period of time. SLQ is a great find, but so are the hotel/luggage tags and the arrow point. Honestly I don't know which of those I'd rank the highest. Just a great assortment. Congrats.

John

Beartoe
09-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Lunds letter clip

Lodge Scent
09-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Wow! That is quite he group of finds. Congrats!

Bucknut
09-04-2016, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Beartoe;206682]Lunds letter clip

/QUOTE]

thanks Beartoe! You found it!

milco
09-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Wow, amazing finds!! The tags are very cool, and the fur trade era stuff and musket balls are super!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill Digger
09-08-2016, 09:34 PM
Yeah, lots of cool finds! The letter clip piece caught my eye too. That a neat piece! :cool:
The luggage tag and the Union Hotel tag would make me a happy camper! :yes:
Very cool items!
Of course the arrowhead is a spectacular find! Wow! If only that thing could talk! :daydream:
Congrats! :grin:
Of course the silver is sweet too, but what do you think the little piece of cut silver is from?

Bucknut
09-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Of course the silver is sweet too, but what do you think the little piece of cut silver is from?

Not sure. Maybe from a picture frame? It rang up lower than a nickel if I remember right. 08-08 on the Etrac.

MangoAve
09-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Nice bunch of finds, Buck. That is one big slug too. Would you think more that the musket drops were closer to 1800 mark? That was the same place up near your cottage, no? Well, in the woods vs front yard but you did say nearby. That button is pretty sweet tho.

Bucknut
09-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Nice bunch of finds, Buck. That is one big slug too. Would you think more that the musket drops were closer to 1800 mark? That was the same place up near your cottage, no? Well, in the woods vs front yard but you did say nearby. That button is pretty sweet tho.

Yeah 2 of the musket balls were found in my frond yard and the others in the woods. All are probably related to the activity from Fort Mackinaw...so my guess is that they are earlier than 1850 and maybe even from mid 1700's?

wisconsin digger
09-17-2016, 11:36 PM
Nice SLQ, I could use it for my set/ Great fin WD

nalc472
09-18-2016, 10:59 AM
great slq. Crazy how quick the date is going away but the back looks like new. I guess they only touched the front of the coin.