PDA

View Full Version : Tons of Colonial Relics

Sam
08-30-2016, 02:04 PM
I haven't posted in a while, but I managed a few hunts recently at some colonial foundations and managed some pretty good finds. Two weeks ago I tagged along with my buddy Jim (RIdirtdigger) to some colonial cellars. The first couple spots were duds, but then we came across an inconspicuous spot farther out into the woods; with no trails nearby. We started swinging with high hopes and expectations for the spot... and surely enough we started quickly pulling dandy buttons and other colonial relics. The detectors went quiet for a while soon afterwards, and we were about to head out, when I got a loud 77 on the lip of the cellar with my MXT Pro. Barely under the ground was a fully intact and moving shoebuckle. I rechecked the hole and the nearby area with my machine and was surprised to find that were more non-ferrous targets! I began pulling all sorts of crazy relics out of that area: such as a complete kneebuckle, a ramrod guide, pipestem pieces and buttons! By the time the targets had run out I had pulled upwards of 10 buttons out of one small section of the lip. And to top it off, I eventually pulled a 1787 Connecticut Copper, and Jim got a copper too; his was worn nearly slick unfortunately.

http://i64.tinypic.com/vrqyc6.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/fc356t.jpg

Around a week ago I returned to my infamous 'button dump' site, and didn't find anything immediately. I started back behind the hill of the cellar looking to see if I could extend the amount of buttons, and wasn't too successful. After a while of sifting and digging out the hole further I came up with a couple more buttons and some pottery shards, but soon decided to move on afterwards. With little daylight left I started scanning the trail on the way back to the car and didn't get very far at all before I got a beautiful 89 signal on my MXT Pro. At around 8 inches deep I saw a big green edge, nice and thick. I flipped it out and immediately noticed all the detail on the coin. It was a 1848 Braided Hair LC, with very good details on it: definitely the nicest Braided Hair I've found.

http://i64.tinypic.com/20h6jj7.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/34gka61.jpg

Bucknut
08-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Congrats! You gotta show a close up of the Conn Copper...it looks like it has a lot of detail left!

The Rebel
08-30-2016, 03:26 PM
WTG on the finds!

aloldstuff
08-30-2016, 03:27 PM
Some great hunting there Sam. Love that knee buckle, I would love to have one in my collection...:smitten:
That CT copper does look like it has a lot of detail on it, huge congrats on that one.
Your LC is one of the best I have seen dug in quite a while.

Sam
08-30-2016, 06:04 PM
WTG on the finds!

Thanks!

Sam
08-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Some great hunting there Sam. Love that knee buckle, I would love to have one in my collection...:smitten:
That CT copper does look like it has a lot of detail on it, huge congrats on that one.
Your LC is one of the best I have seen dug in quite a while.

Thank you very much! :)

BTV Digger
08-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Awesome Sam! Both the LCs are in great shape considering their age. The 1848 is a common date, but the condition is not common! Curious to see if you try a little cleaning on the iron chape of that knee buckle. Congrats.

John

Lodge Scent
08-30-2016, 08:27 PM
That was one hot spot! Congrats.

Digger_O'Dell
08-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Awesome hunt! Best LC I've seen dug up.

Sam
08-30-2016, 10:54 PM
Awesome Sam! Both the LCs are in great shape considering their age. The 1848 is a common date, but the condition is not common! Curious to see if you try a little cleaning on the iron chape of that knee buckle. Congrats.

John

Thank you very much!

Sam
08-30-2016, 10:55 PM
That was one hot spot! Congrats.

Thanks! :)

Sam
08-30-2016, 10:56 PM
Awesome hunt! Best LC I've seen dug up.

Wow, really? Thanks so much!

Beartoe
08-31-2016, 04:07 PM
Most excellent! I am green with envy :envious:

CTTodd
09-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Super finds, Coppers, Buckles, Buttons, Great stuff

calabash digger
09-02-2016, 01:24 PM
man you killed it.

RIdirtdigger
09-05-2016, 01:36 PM
That day we found all those relics was quite a day. Nice array of colonial finds. :congrats: