PDA

View Full Version : Sadly, I have to put down the 'ol Ace 250...

jkress
08-12-2010, 10:22 PM
It's been a great year with my Ace! I have found lots of silver coins, wheats, relics, rings and tokens.... not to mention nails and pull tabs. A very nice machine to say the least. The Ace has given me a tremendous amount of fun this last year. In fact, I was just finishing my very first week of metal detecting last year at this time.

Aside from the above mentioned items found and the silver coins in the photo below, I also was lucky enough to find this item as well as win the probe... http://garrett.com/hobby/hbby_favorite_find_july_2010.htm

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2010/pictures/picture-1.jpg

So, it's been a great year... but I am sadly forced to put the Ace 250 down.

With more time than I would like to admit metal detecting this past year with the Ace, I can see it's limitations. Again, I would like to stress that this is a great machine for the money and never regretted buying it.

The Ace is being retired to get out of the way of a new Explorer SE Pro. :clapping: :clapping:

I can't wait to learn this machine and hopefully be able to start posting some nice finds.

I have been searching the net for tips and tricks on the SE. Lots of great information was here!! :peace:

If anyone would like to pass on any helpful info on the SE... feel free. Somewhere along the way I read something about the factory setting for coins will discriminate out large silver, but haven't been able to relocate that info. If anyone is familiar with this, I'd be more than happy to hear about it.

Tomorrow should be the day my package arrives. :happydance01: I have never spent so much time tracking a package online. :embarrassed:

Thanks for reading!!

coinnut
08-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I'd say that Ace has done you well for sure. Nice pile of silver and other coins. It may be retired, but it's a great backup machine. I don't know about the SE having that blocked out large silver problem, but the E Trac does. I'm not sure that you machine ever had that issue. But when you learn your Minelab, you will love what it can do. Hope you get it soon :clapping:

Cheap Thrills
08-12-2010, 11:18 PM
All your old spots will be productive once again . :yes:

Ill Digger
08-12-2010, 11:36 PM
You'll get over it pretty quick lol :yes:
I used a SE for the first time this summer (borrowed a friends).
I used it for about 4 weeks. And picked it up pretty quick. Made some good fines with it as well.
I also needed a crash corse . So I asked around here and got lots of help thumbsup01
Here's my plea for guidance... http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=1741.0
All though not very educational, I also did a video while I had it...
Metal Detectin' with Ill Digger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8t60bvAW0E#)
Go slow, you'll be fine...it's fun . :grin:
Looks like the ACE did pretty darn good!!
Congrats :grin:

NiagaraCountyNY
08-13-2010, 08:38 AM
You will find alot you missed on those sites :) I ran the SE for over a Year and was very immpressed.Then I went back with the E-Trac and found even more stuff I missed!!You wont be dissapointed with that Machine! HH

jkress
08-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't know about the SE having that blocked out large silver problem, but the E Trac does. I'm not sure that you machine ever had that issue.

Thanks for the info. It's very possible I read that about the E Trac and not the Explorer. That's probably why I can't find that reference again.

jkress
08-13-2010, 10:13 AM
So I asked around here and got lots of help thumbsup01
Here's my plea for guidance... http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=1741.0

Yes, your specific post as well as a few others, were very helpful. I bookmarked your post to refer back to once I get hands on experience with the machine. I'm anxiously awaiting a knock on the door from Mr. UPS.

Thanks again for your response.... I really appreciate it.

Awesome video!! Thanks for sending my way.

jkress
08-13-2010, 10:21 AM
You will find alot you missed on those sites :)

That's what I am really hoping for!! I know it will take a while to become one with the SE, but hopefully when that happens I can start pulling some oldies. I live a couple of blocks away from a very large 100+ year old park. This park has been pounded over the years. I was able to coax a '44 quarter, merc and buffalo from the place last year.
I plan on putting a lot of time in there with this new machine. Although.... every once in a while last year I would run into a guy swinging an E Trac. :crying02: Hopefully he left me some stuff. ;)

ProPointer
08-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Wow!

I hope my ACE has similar luck.

That's awesome, have fun wit the new machine.

NiagaraCountyNY
08-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Although.... every once in a while last year I would run into a guy swinging an E Trac. Hopefully he left me some stuff.
I dont mind other guys swinging detectors around my sites....Until I spot a minelab-er ..Then the Gloves are off! :boxing: Hehe Im sure he left a few goodies.No one ever finds them all.Good Luck..HH

coinnut
08-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Although.... every once in a while last year I would run into a guy swinging an E Trac. Hopefully he left me some stuff.
I dont mind other guys swinging detectors around my sites....Until I spot a minelab-er ..Then the Gloves are off! :boxing: Hehe Im sure he left a few goodies.No one ever finds them all.Good Luck..HH

Just because someone is sweeping an E trac or any other top of the line machine, it doesn't mean they know how to use it lol Unless you see a 10 deep hole with a silver dime at the bottom and a grin on their face, I would not be detered :cheesysmile: I know a guy that is using a White's Eagle Spectrum ( a great machine) and he blows away anything I have ever found. :shocked04:stretcher: But it would be nicer if they were using a National Geographics metal detector :yes:

pulltabsteve
08-13-2010, 08:21 PM
You sure did well with the Ace. Im sure you will do just as well with the SE Pro. Whatever the machine is, if you learn it, you will find cool things.

angellionel
08-13-2010, 09:41 PM
You did great with the ACE 250! Very impressive amount of silver that fellow helped you to find. thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
08-13-2010, 09:42 PM
That is a FABULOUS year with the ACE! Or any detector! Congratulations on the great finds!!!

You will love the SE. :) I too love that detector.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-14-2010, 11:02 PM
wish you much success with your new machine! ya did awesome with the ole ace and i'm sure you are gonna do wekk with the SE!
good luck!

RobW
08-16-2010, 09:58 AM
I understand.....I too just broke down and bought a new Minelab e-trac this morning. Not that I'm immediatly giving up my Garrett 1350, I'll still keep it around especially if I can ever convince the wife to come out with me.

Dick Stout
08-16-2010, 05:11 PM
I'd say you did damn well with the Ace. Best part about getting a new machine is that you will be hyped about it's abilities and as a result have a positive attitude when you take it out. Likewise you will be patient, knowing you need to learn it's functions, and that patience often results in a few good finds.

Let us know how the new detector works, especially in the areas you have already hunted.

www.StoutStandards.com (http://www.StoutStandards.com)