PDA

View Full Version : Couple hunts-watch case, indians, seated!

Digger_O'Dell
09-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Hi all,
Got out for a long days hunt Wednesday after work. Started at a vacant city lot along some abandoned rail lines that used to be part of a major rail hub with lots of factories and warehouses as far back as the early 1800s. Much had been dug put and removed over the years, but one good find was a watch case marked with "four holes jeweled" and M.J. Tobias, Liverpool. Did a little research and found that they did a lot of gold watches along with some good railroad time pieces. The four jeweled style had the holes for the winder, (shown) and the one example I found dates around 1825. :happydance01:

Later in the morning I decided to check on the progress of a street tearout I have been waiting a couple month on. Lucky day, they were pulling up sidewalk slabs! So I started detecting as they were pulled. I wasn't getting much at first, but soon popped the first of 4 Indians of the day. It didn't take long though until many more people showed up to detect. Sure enough, also met Milco there! :)
At that point it was a scramble to get coins. Mostay I hung back and got what everyone else missed in their rush. It was also difficult ground conditions because back in the day they laid the sidewalks with coal ash and "klinkers" left from heating the schools. Of coarse it had a lot of metals in those remnants making for terrible detecting. Even the CTX was only running a 6 to 8 sensitivity in auto, so easy to miss even surface coins.

They are: 1887, 1887, 1892, and 1900

I had not been expecting to detect all day, so had not charged the batteries. The machine started dying about 2:30 so made one last attempt before heading home. At the edge of the last slab pulled, I got a good 12-43. I figured due to the location and VDI that it was another zincoln, but decided to nab it anyway. I dug about a half inch down and got a smooth shiny round thing. I thought no way was this a coin, it's too smooth and thin. But i washed it up and saw the "one dime" on back. Upon closer examination of the front, I saw a faint outline of the seated lady liberty, and a more pronounced date of 1875-my 2nd seated dime, and the only silver found on thst site all day!

On the way into work Friday I stopped at an old abandoned ball field in hopes of more old coins. Nope, just very modern clad. But i did find a pretty cool token!

Thanks for reading,GL&HH!

milco
09-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Glad to meet you at the Tearout! Nice bunch of IH's and congrats on the seated dime!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
09-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Thanks much, and it was great to finally meet you too! That seated was really unexpected. Just baffled how it got so smooth. :shocked01:

aloldstuff
09-03-2016, 04:58 AM
Worn or not, any seated is a great find. :congrats: on your 2nd. Nice that you got to meet Darren. Looks like you weren't the only one keeping an eye on that tear out.....

Digger_O'Dell
09-03-2016, 06:07 AM
Yep, any seated is good! Funny, but my seated dime count now matched my barber dime count. Go figure.

Beartoe
09-03-2016, 07:24 AM
Four Indians in one day. That is impressive to me. I would say Heads you Win.

OxShoeDrew
09-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Those tear outs are sure popular! I did one once with Brian (BMK) and we tossed out by the cops :lol: Looks like you had a great time of it!

Digger Don
09-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Great finds.
Congrats on the Indians and the Seated:clapping:

Lodge Scent
09-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Very nice! A well rounded set of finds. :clapping:

Fire Fighter 43
09-04-2016, 08:20 PM
Nice bunch of finds Chris, congrats. It cool that you met Milco (Darren) at the tear out, he is a good guy. I unofficially named him the King of tear outs, it is his area of expertise.

wisconsin digger
09-06-2016, 07:52 PM
I've been noticing a lot of tear outs this summer in various towns, You and milco have inspired me to stop and check some out once. Doubt I will have that kind of luck. Great finds. I found a similar seated last year Wore or not a great find none the less. Thx for posting WD

Digger_O'Dell
09-06-2016, 10:13 PM
I did some cleaning of the seated with ba king soda and foil. It actually removed some buildup and now can see the lady liberty pretty good, and a lot of detail just popped right out. Very happy with the results!