PDA

View Full Version : First ever TRIME, beautiful knee buckle, flying eagle, more colonial relics.

RIdirtdigger
09-05-2016, 02:09 PM
I have been very lazy on this forum and I apologize for that. Since my last post at the end of July I have only found one copper, :disgusted: I can't seem to get my coil under them the past few months, :confused: BUT that does not mean I have not made any good finds. The past week ended up being one of my most successful weeks in several months. I spent the early part of my week on vacation with my family up in Litchfield CT, really nice up there. Tuesday morning I'm all set to hit a cellar up there, got all my gear and once I get to the spot where I'm gonna park, I see a major problem, no cell service at all. No way for me to find the site or more importantly, avoid getting lost. Needless to say I did not end up going detecting that morning. I was a little disappointed but better safe then sorry. Wednesday I did some research and decided to hit a site just a little into the woods in a very popular hiking area here in RI. This massive patch of woods has been actively detected since the 80's but its so big that there is still plenty to be found. This site was also on the 1870 historical maps but I went to it because its away from any trails and didn't have a ton of stone walls. I get to the site, really nice site but not a lot of iron around the lip which is a little strange for a site that lasted past the civil war. First target is a flat button and I ended up digging six of them, and one two piece. All of the flat buttons are made of the same material they make Conestoga bells out of, I'm a little confused about that. Anyways I'm about to leave cause I wanted to hit other sites when I get another flat button signal. This one isn't a flat button, its my third flying eagle cent for the year. :happydance01: Really nice reverse to this coin. Very happy about that. Thursday morning I was on the road before dawn and headed into CT to hit a few cellar holes with Isaac who was up from VA. We didn't do that well at the cellars, he got a copper and I managed a few buttons, but most of our finds came from a 1760's Standing home that Isaac had gotten permission to the previous day. This was the type of standing home you dream about, ZERO fill dirt and little modern contamination. It had been hit before (by a few other guys earlier in the year) but obviously they did not do a very good job. :) Scored my first ever TRIME, 1854 right in the side yard.:happydance02: Those things are really small. Got a few buttons, 45 Washington, some relics but my best find of the day had to be my complete designed colonial knee buckle found right in the backyard. :happydance01: The thing was only around 1 inch deep. Pretty shallow for being in the ground 225+ years or so. Yesterday I got out with another one of my buddies and hit a few sites up in MA. First site we made it about half way there, but had to give up, vegetation was insane. We will be back around November hopefully once vegetation is gone. The second site the woods were much cleaner, site was hit pretty hard but got an 1865 indian head and a few other odds and ends. Overall an awesome week of detecting and cant wait for the Fall. 55497555115551055509555085550755506555055550455503 555025550155500554995549855512

Bucknut
09-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Wow more great digs from you! That trime is awesome and so is that FE and that buckle is perfect!

calabash digger
09-05-2016, 06:35 PM
trime is killer love the buckle too!

CTTodd
09-05-2016, 07:59 PM
The buckle is beefy. I like it a lot.

Digger_O'Dell
09-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Wow, love that trime, FE, and old IH! That buckle was another great score too. Well done and congrats!

aloldstuff
09-06-2016, 05:16 AM
Great score on the trime. I recently bought one (1851) and decided to run it under my detector. It gave a signal that I probably would not dig. No wonder I haven't found one....:lol:. Congrats on your 3rd FE and that buckle is fantastic.

Beartoe
09-06-2016, 07:45 AM
That's a superb buckle. Nice detail. I have never seen a trime in person. Excellent find.

del
09-07-2016, 10:01 PM
great finds Jim , I love the knee buckle !!

MangoAve
09-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Nice buckle, trime, and FE. Guess it's been quite a buckle month. That skyline view looks familiar. There was a new development near Somasick Mt. (that name is not searchable via googs or other search engine...only if you know which old map it's on).

milco
11-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Somehow I missed this one. Those are some great finds! Congrats on the trime and other great finds!