PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Detecting

Beartoe
09-07-2016, 12:55 PM
My plan is to have myself a water detector by the Spring of 2017. I want one now but spending that kind of cash is not an readily available option. So I will keep saving and by spring to "Spend or not to spend" will be an easier choice. In the mean time I will keep studying the water detecting ropes.

After watching a few videos of fresh water hunters , specifically those in small lakes and ponds that have no real current, I noticed a pattern. Most if not all the coins found were very shallow. Often the hunter would fan the muck away and the coin was visible.

Shallow coins. Is this typical of conditions in small lakes without currents? I suppose the absence of freezing and protection from the weather in general has a part to play.

riveraiders60
09-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Our lake don't freeze but we have wind currents that buries stuff. Those little waves go all the way down to the sandy bottom. Like a sonic bath that you use to clean your jewery. Most rings are about 4" down and pretty much stay there. Peoples feet tromping in and out of the sand is what buries them deeper and kids digging sandcastles can bury stuff deeper. Coins are about the same. Water levels rise and fall and that too moves sand around even with out a current. My opinion.

ODA 226
09-10-2016, 05:36 PM
I find most rings in water about chest deep. That's where most people begin to swim.