PDA

View Full Version : Another buckle for Aug and a bit of relics.

MangoAve
09-09-2016, 01:05 PM
I finally made it back to the forum. Lol.

A bit after I got the nice silver applied buckle I got an invite by Rob S and his dad to come out to a few spots. Spot one seemed to be a virgin site apparently. I also met Massdirtfisher that day. Everyone managed to get a few keepers from the first spot we hit. Rob and MA each got KG2s from the road right out front of the cellar. I was having trouble in the road as there were a few rocks that kept overloading my machine. I managed to be the first one to dig a copper. Mine too is a KG2, undated. I got a coupe of tombacs and other buttons along with a nice design silver plated one. That button must have been face down and it was at the bottom of the crease where the two slopes met. The bell clacker was from a ways behind the cellar. On the way back up I got another hit near where I pulled the KG2, so I ended up moving all the branches out of the way. Good thing I did cuz I managed a really thick shoe buckle. Its got a nice pattern to it and is complete. I noticed a bit after taking the pics that it is slightly bent, but omg is it just so oddly tall (and thick). If I can find replica's I may refurbish both the silver plated buckle and this brass one. There was a chopper looking for us. Lol. it was loud and was apparently checking the power lines. The second spot turned out to be a major hike to find. After about 40 min to locate the darn thing we finally started swinging. There was some nearby really old logging leftovers. It wasn't too great of a site but I did manage a button there. Third spot was a dud. It had an SUV there parked by the cellar. lol We don't know how they managed to get that one there.
55545555655554355542555415556755568555645555555557 5554055562
Also in Aug I went back with Kev to a site we've been hitting. Turns out there is a lot more to the area. It was used until the 30s and I never realized how far back those stone walls and fields go. Well, From the last quick hunt there checking the outskirts of the site there was def some spots that were overlooked. Kev got his first tombac and a two piece button with a train on it. I managed a clog clasp, two bail seals, and two buttons. According to a button dating pic I have, the ball button dated from 1812-1830. Not bad. And the end of the hunt ended where I saw what looked like a paper wasp nest melted from water, but on a small mound. Idk why they'd have both the paper and a hole in the ground. I hit it with the coil and sure enough wasps came out. After a few min, I went closer (like 20ft) and sure enough one dive-bombed me. that was it. lol.

These pics were from a hunt I forgot about. Lol. I was surprised US silver Co and W.M. Rogers both became Oneida. The last pic is one I have at home, but has the both company names.
This past weekend I got out for a few hunts. Saturday I went with two YTC members. It was the first time meeting one of them as he doesn't make the meetings. He had a spot that was in the same forest I had a few spots. We went to this field that has been apparently been overlooked. He showed me the few coins and buttons he'd already pulled from there. When we first got there, I went to the cellar hole side and tried checking some other spots, while they tried his field. I just happened to find one long and narrow field that coughed up a tiny cuff button. Eventually I made it to the other side where they were and swung around. We moved to site #2 up the road to give it a check. They went to the cellar side while I tried the opposite side of the road. Directly in a hiking path not even 1.5" down I dug a CW CT button. It rang like a 33/34 VDI. I thought it'd be a pull tab. Good thing I didn't ignore it. We didn't stay too long before moving on. We stopped at a couple of spots we saw. I didn't realize how big that forest really is. The last spot we saw some cows. Lol. We went in to this defined field which was weird as one side had the stone wall at the bottom of a big hill. I managed a fired musket. We tried the cart path in. It was quite odd how all three of us at the same time pulled some early wheats. One was 1910, mine was 1919, and I didn't get a date off the other one found, but was def early. After they had to head home I stopped at a place on my way home I wanted to check out. It'll be a spot I should return once things die down, but idk how that'd fair. It's all barberry. Like an acre worth. It was sad to see some screw top bottles and junk dumped right inside one of the walls. ugh. Idk where the cellar is. I cant tell exactly from the 34 aerial, and the only spot that looked like a foundation was not like any normal house foundation. It looked a tad bigger but rounded rocks. I'd think barn. Maybe cellar is buried in the barberry. One field gave a pistol musket drop. One gave a 4 hole 2 pc button. And the cellar down the road gave me a harmonica reed and a garter clip. First one of those I've seen. Pat date is Mar 27 1918, but that date doesn't come up in a patent search. Sure says Garter on it, tho.

Sun I wanted to check out an area where I knew a cellar was. Well, expectations were high before going, but were diminished after being there for a bit. The cellar I think was caved, filled, and bulldozed. It is unrecognizable. I only guess it is from the fact its close to the old cart path and has the most amount of iron cans (overload signals) near it. The old fields are overgrown but like a swampy area where tree roots are above the ground. Luckily I managed a wheat and some silver dropped by some hikers.
Wed after work I went to a spot I found recently too. I knew there was a cellar near there, but was unsure if it was on private prop or in the forest. The old road looks in person more like it does on the old map, than it does on the assessor map. Sure, tho, the old road section still shows it's part of the town road parcel. I parked and made my way through this jungle of weeds, overgrowth, and prickers. Right in the old road I found a crotal piece. It was one piece out of the ground, but two once I tried to get the dirt out. Another Seth North petal bell from the 1840s, but this one has a size (#2). Out in the back field I found a 1900 IHP. Turned out to look really well after only a tooth-picking. Then the cops came. One of the people saw my car 'abandoned' and they have kids. The cops came to investigate. The nearby private prop owner came by too. They did think I was trespassing, however I did assure the police that I had checked the assessor and that was def forest and I saw one of the markers on the trees. Once they knew what I was doing, it was kind of understood. They told me prob from now on to put a note on the car so it doesn't happen again. Then the nearby prop owner showed me where the cellar was; I couldn't locate it. It was just buried in the growth. He also told me sometime he could show me another cellar besides, that is also still in the forest prop, that no one knows about. Just need to have the growth die down after a frost. So, in actuality it benefited me to have the guy and police get involved as I located cellar, and have a lead to another spot. The tin might be a compact or snuff box. No hinge, but I do see a tiny bit of 'gilt' on it. Its rusted frozen, but it's not a high ticket target, so I might attempt to open it.

del
09-09-2016, 04:45 PM
I'm most impressed with your finds Jim , you have done extremely well from a year or two ago . Your buckle display must be really taking off as you have some wonderful examples . Congrats my friend .

Dan

Lodge Scent
09-09-2016, 05:56 PM
Wow! Quality and quantity Jim. I didn't even know what a clog clasp was until you posted yours. That buckle is nice but that silver plated button is the nicest button I've seen posted in a looong time. :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
09-11-2016, 06:48 PM
You've been busy!! Sweet design on that buckle....hey how 'bout a close up of that CT button? :clapping:

MangoAve
09-12-2016, 09:25 AM
I'm most impressed with your finds Jim , you have done extremely well from a year or two ago . Your buckle display must be really taking off as you have some wonderful examples . Congrats my friend .

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I do owe a little to the machine. I do owe a little to researching better props. I do owe a little to experience, and obvi to the great invites. I have yet to get a display going. I have put some of the other common D buckles in a specific box as I have just so many now. These types of buckles I need to get something going. As well as for buttons and for LC. The LC are in the airtites, but I need to find something to fit them. There have been a few things on Amazon I have looked at for cases. Gotta go with wood cases and black 'velvet' inside. Maybe ring cases for the buttons... but that works only for ones with the shank. I'll think of something, but sure enough not in time for the upcoming even next weekend.

Wow! Quality and quantity Jim. I didn't even know what a clog clasp was until you posted yours. That buckle is nice but that silver plated button is the nicest button I've seen posted in a looong time. :congrats:

Thanks, Jeff. I was actually unsure myself on that. I owe the ID to Isaac via the bookface. I knew what it really wasn't, but used for a description. Lol. I like that button too. The only other silver plated one I found (that still had the plating) was plain.

You've been busy!! Sweet design on that buckle....hey how 'bout a close up of that CT button? :clapping:

Thanks, Drew. Been trying.. but I think it could have been more if someone didn't spring plans on me to hinder hunts. Not to throw that person under the bus or anything. lol. I shall clean that button up a tad more and then get some pics. I actually just found the wheat penny from the hunt near the cow farm. I thought I'd lost it somewhere (not in the woods like Friday night's short hunt and losing both the only item which was a silver plate fork and my sports bottle as I frantically ran from some low buzzing kamakazi bee. I must have stepped on a hive and one bastard chased me for quite a bit and I was trying to move through low hanging brush and downed branches). I only mentioned cuz it was from the same day as the CT button and I just tried hot peroxide again ad I have been varying with mineral oil, toothpick-ing, toothbrushing, and peroxide.

Mr. Digger
09-13-2016, 04:50 AM
That is one heck of an impressive array of finds. Wow! Congrats.

Digger_O'Dell
09-13-2016, 05:02 AM
Lots of great finds Jim! I have to admit you're very lucky to have the hunting opportunities that you do. It's very rare to find even a "late model" LC here in the midwest. So keep on doing what you're doing, love to see those colonial items!

CTTodd
09-13-2016, 01:03 PM
very nice Finds and Post. Congrats on all of it.

aloldstuff
09-13-2016, 02:58 PM
I had today off so I thought I would finally get the time I needed to read this post. Fantastic group of finds Jim. As Dan stated earlier your quality of finds has greatly improved. Better research? More time with the machine? Don't mess with the wasps.

MangoAve
09-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Drew,
Here's some close ups of the Connecticut Civil War era button.

That is one heck of an impressive array of finds. Wow! Congrats.

Thanks, Digger. Can't say I'd get tired of hearing a "Wow".

Lots of great finds Jim! I have to admit you're very lucky to have the hunting opportunities that you do. It's very rare to find even a "late model" LC here in the midwest. So keep on doing what you're doing, love to see those colonial items!

Thanks, Chris. I'm sure there will be a possibility you can visit this way to get the opportunity. A few AD members have come this way for hunts. Granted, that doesn't mean it in the same sense you meant with me living here and having the opportunity more often. Gonna keep trying as I have countless spots to try. (you should see my map of spots lol. I prob have about 1000+ marked spots which includes a few schools in old areas, parks and greens in old areas, a few houses I have permission for, a few houses I want permission for, and cellar holes. Time and sunlight is the constraints here. lol.

very nice Finds and Post. Congrats on all of it.

Thanks, Todd. Know you love to see the colonial stuff.

I had today off so I thought I would finally get the time I needed to read this post. Fantastic group of finds Jim. As Dan stated earlier your quality of finds has greatly improved. Better research? More time with the machine? Don't mess with the wasps.

Lol. Al. I'm here to find a way to fill up your time reading. This will serve for those who read during winter to get them amped for when they can get out again. Thanks, tho. Yeah, I do think better research. I have been using assessor databases to the fullest to find the areas few people frequent but have the cellars. That and using the historical aerials to see the full size of sites which has helped a bit cuz one site that was 'pounded' actually had a few things hiding in spots that I never, nor anyone else, had paid any attention to. I got one spot near the spot I checked out on Monday night (which had the sunset constraint and the areas I wanted to check being overgrown as another constraint), but there's a spot I want to check out because I can see the activity. I just didn't make it there yet. I think there could be a cabin site or older cellar out there. Yes, I was setting the machine one detent lower than default so that I could get more stable VDI's. That works a little better for trashier areas like standing homes with cross century contamination, parks and schools with trash, and the bunch of cellars with cross century contamination. But it only helps with identifying the target. Most cellars you just don't care as long as it's not iron (small iron 'cuz we all know the big iron fools the machines). I do owe Dan that hint to check out tombacs I should have been hearing, but wasn't, I tweaked the settings on gain and I been hearing more. I just found one of those small buckles (3/4" size for horse straps) in a hole with 6 or 7 iron nails and the stock 10" DD... I'd say the settings are better now. And the wasps.... I do sometimes mess with them intentionally. This time I didn't, or didn't intend to.