PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Rose Line

Beartoe
09-14-2016, 07:43 PM
I seem to be finding some interesting stuff at this new location I am hunting. The salt and pepper shaker the other day and today this cosmetic compact case.

As near as I can tell this compact is a line from Marshall Fields of Chicago. From the description it would seem this is an early version of the Lanchere Blue Rose cosmetic line. Lanchere was named to make it sound French and it really stands for "Lancaster is Here". Lancaster was the chemist who developed the cosmetic line for Marshall Fields in the early 1900s. There are many examples of compact cases bearing the Blue Rose, Lanchere and Flair brands and from what I am reading there are no other Marshall Field perfume line cosmetics products packaged in exclusively metal compact cases. That is not to say there are not it is just what my limited research shows. If you look up the Blue Rose product line there are many more elaborate cases which are not entirely made of metal. Some have beautiful ceramic inlays. Some were developed for the clientele of the Roaring Twenties.

The earliest Blue Rose case looks to be from 1922 and it appears this plain brass case made by the Scovill Manufacturing Co of Waterbury CT is an example of that early cosmetic compact.

fyrffytr1
09-14-2016, 07:47 PM
Cool find and interesting read on your research.It looks like Scovills had their hand in a lot of things.

Digger_O'Dell
09-14-2016, 09:27 PM
Cool find and great research! :thumbsup02:

aloldstuff
09-15-2016, 04:59 AM
Great history with that compact case. Thanks for posting this.

OxShoeDrew
09-16-2016, 11:10 PM
I didn't know scovilles did that. Thanks for cool post and congrats!

Beartoe
09-17-2016, 06:53 AM
It is not much of a find but the cool part was finding out about the historical part played by Scoville. I guess they had to diversify to stay active.

CTTodd
09-19-2016, 06:43 AM
That's different, I'll bet it sounded very good

del
09-19-2016, 11:52 AM
A find only gets better when its true id and history is brought out ! Great detective work and write up !

chief5709
09-21-2016, 04:53 AM
I enjoy the research almost as much as the finds. Good work!

MangoAve
09-21-2016, 07:17 AM
I concur. Often the lesser finds seem to have more of a historic background. Interesting that Scoville made those tins. I was just thinking because they had a major reputation for brass work, plus NY isn't far from Waterbury, CT. I wonder if my Coney Island compact could be made by them as well. I couldn't find any information on mine, tho.