PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my silver fix.

Fire Fighter 43
09-16-2016, 02:02 PM
My kids are back in school and my favorite time of year for detecting is here so it was time to get back at it. I decided to detect a couple of places that I had succes at with the V3i but had not been to with the Etrac or the CTX. I would guess it has been 6 years since I've been to either one of these places. Both sites are less than 15 minutes from my house. My strategy was to strap the 17" coil on and concentrate on the deep ones since I felt I found most of the easy targets from previous hunts. The first site is an old church grounds field that use to have a ball field on it. I wasn't even 10 minutes into swinging and I got a nice solid 12-44 at 7". A Mercury dime 1936, I was surprised to say the least. Another hour and 20 minutes did not produced much of anything.

The next site is a tavern that was a resort stop back in the day. It also had a ball field that is mostly parking lot now. I had the most succes in the remaining grass area of the ball field, so that is where I started the hunt. I remembered that I had EMI issues with the V3i in this area. After a noise cancel the CTX with the 17" coil was running about 26 sensitivity on auto +3. In my opinion a sensitivity over 25 with the big coil is a deep combination. I started to find wheats at 8" plus which was a good sign since I thought I had cleaned this area out, I was wrong. The first silver was a Rosie 1946. After several more wheats I got an iffy one direction 12-43 at 9". I could not believe that twin Mercs were in the hole, a pair of 1945's. in total I had 11 wheats and 4 silvers with very little clad. Not too bad for 2 sites I thought I had picked clean.

After swinging the 17" in thick grass for 4.5 hours I'm paying the price with a soar shoulder and upper back.

Digger_O'Dell
09-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Congrats on the silvers! I know full well about swinging that 17 inch coil. Most I ever did I think was about 9 hours with only 1 break to change locations. Been using the big coil a lot more lately to go over "cleaned out" sites, and it's awesome on big beaches. Covers lots of area quickly, yet picks up tiny targets really deep.

Bucknut
09-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Can't beat that! Silvers so close to home!

groundhog53946
09-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Always something to find everywhere! Congrats on a good hunt

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

OxShoeDrew
09-16-2016, 11:19 PM
I can't swing a 15in coil very long anymore, never mind 17in :shocked04: I hope you feel better and congrats on the big haul!

aloldstuff
09-17-2016, 04:42 AM
The pain has to be somewhat less with 4 silvers and a bunch of wheat's in the pocket. :congrats: on getting your "fix".

wisconsin digger
09-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Great hunts Jeff, can't agree more on the "best time of year" to hunt. Nice job. WD

Tony Two-Cent
09-21-2016, 09:47 AM
Way to go, Jeff! You really have a knack for finding the silver! :yes:

:congrats: