PDA

View Full Version : 1858 Seated Quarter! Plus a nice SLQ in a spill

Tony Two-Cent
09-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Today I spent the whole day detecting with my brother at two sites that he had found for me. He doesn't detect, he just follows me around and watches, plus I always hand him the finds fresh out of the hole to ID. He has always been my good luck charm and today was no exception!

The only coin we found at the first site was an 1858-O Seated Quarter! It is the oldest quarter I have ever found.
It has two holes in it and it isn't in great shape but I was still thrilled to find it! :happy:

At the second site the first signal I dug was a 1903 Indian Head, a good sign! This site was in town on a corner lot, and I ended up with the Indian plus 12 wheat cents and a nice 1925 SLQ! The SLQ was in a spill with 3 wheat cents. I also found a really cool old diecast cannon at this site, plus two junk rings and a token.

All-in-all it was a super fun day! :yes:

Here are my coin finds for the day:

And here are the relics. The watch fob is from about 1918 and says "Shapleigh Hardware Co. Diamond Edge" on it.

Here are some photos of the 1858 Seated Quarter before cleaning and after:

One of my favorite finds from the day, this diecast toy cannon:

Someone who shall remain nameless (it wasn't my brother!) used their fingernail to remove the dirt from the SLQ and scratched it, so I thought what the heck, I'll just go ahead and try to buff out the scratches with baking soda. It came out pretty nice, actually.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Digger_O'Dell
09-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Wow Tony, great finds! That SLQ is unusually worn, typically the date is the first to go. Nice to see the date is still so clear. That seated quarter looks just like my last seated dime (minus the holes), but still a great find! Thst token and cannon are also really cool finds! :congrats::clapping:

wisconsin digger
09-18-2016, 10:49 PM
Great finds Tony, good thing the SLQ was a low relief. The toy canon is quite the find. Nice hunts. WD

Tony Two-Cent
09-19-2016, 12:11 PM
I cleaned up the Seated Quarter a little more. The date is easier to read now, I think.

aloldstuff
09-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Congrats on a great day of detecting. A seated quarter is very high on my wish list...congrats on yours sir. Beautiful SLQ and that cannon is fantastic. :thumbsup02:

Bucknut
09-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Wow do you have any other brothers you can rent out? 2 fantastic silver quarters and some cool relics! Congrats!

OxShoeDrew
09-19-2016, 02:43 PM
MAN O MAN Tony!! The dates are crystal clear on both quarters!....and those cents are fabulous! Hey, what coin has the spade the spade punched through? That is one super day!!! :wow:

Tony Two-Cent
09-19-2016, 03:39 PM
Hey, what coin has the spade punched through?

That is a token. I was excited by it at first, but after I examined it I don't think it's very old. On one side it says "For amusement only" and on the other side it says "No cash or trade value".

Digger Don
09-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Great finds Tony. Another Seated Quarter.Wow. :envious:
I'm still looking for my first.
Congrats on all the nice coins and that cool little canon!!

MangoAve
09-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Nice, Tony. I think with the shape of the seated I'd prob still have cleaned it with the baking soda even if "someone" didn't scratch it with the fingernail. The token Drew pointed out is cool too. Is the three holed item a hinge? I found one with almost the same shape at an 1820s house. Mine was def a brass hinge with the three holes in a clover pattern, but yours is a tad offset.

Beartoe
09-25-2016, 07:49 AM
Excellent diggs. :wow:

Wondering about that cannon. Looks like a cannon from a circus act where someone is shot from the cannon. Could it be part of a piece circus set?