PDA

View Full Version : Shield w/Rays, Braided, More

OxShoeDrew
09-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Fri,Sat,Sun 90min hunts produced a bit of everything. I found my first shield with rays! I guess it's an 1867 although 1866s had rays too? I can't find any 1866 mintage numbers...but the 1867 mintage is just over 2,000,000 which is low.:thumbsup01: The coins were super deep 8-10 inches with the exception of the silver dimes, they were together at 5in. The shoe buckle frame is the largest I've ever dug! Must have been Big Foot! :lol:
I have reason to believe the braided is 1848 :) Thanks for looking!

Tony Two-Cent
09-20-2016, 05:12 PM
Wow, you're having a killer year, Drew! :notworthy:

The mintage of the 1866 with rays is a little over 14 million, so much more than the 1867 with rays. Very cool find, whichever year it is! :yes:

And I'm no expert on large cents, but I believe that one is a Matron Head so it's probably older than 1848. (For one thing it has a line under "One Cent" on the reverse, a dead giveaway.) Another great find!

Were these found in a park?

Congrats on the wonderful finds! :congrats:

del
09-20-2016, 05:23 PM
Very nice Nickle , anytime you can see "rays" on a shield its a good one !!:cheering:The large shoe buckle frames such as these are hard to find uncracked or broken because the metal was so thin , their arc or curve was so much and it caused a substantial amount of stress on the frames. great find

OxShoeDrew
09-20-2016, 05:25 PM
duh, I'm such a dope....you know why I got it in my head that it was a braided?... because when the dirt was caked on it I couldn't see the bust and I thought the diameter was small. So then and there I decided it was a braided. When I got home I started cleaning it and micro-focused on the date, not even glancing at the big picture. :crazy::lol:
I guess that rays is most like a 1866 then. Yeah, I'm still hitting the parks. I head back into the wood as soon as the ferns die down and these parks stop producing. Thanks Tony!

OxShoeDrew
09-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Thanks Dan! That buckle was deep too! Took me 10min with a Lesche park digger....I hate those small diggers:lol: Don't tell Pulltab Steve as I won it in his contest...but I'm looking forward to going back to my cellar hole shovel!!

Bucknut
09-20-2016, 06:50 PM
Great finds! The Shield nik is still on my bucket list.

Lodge Scent
09-20-2016, 07:53 PM
Nice bunch of digs there Drew. Don't think I have a shield nickel. That is a massive buckle. Colonial ski boot maybe ;)

chief5709
09-21-2016, 04:52 AM
Nice assortment of finds Drew! I love finding buckles and frames. I seem to find the parts but never a complete one.

Digger Don
09-21-2016, 05:20 AM
Great finds Drew. I'm still looking for my first Shield.

MangoAve
09-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Nice finds, Drew. It's starting to look like the ferns are dying down. Last time I was out, there were a few tan spots of ferns. I can see them from the road, too, driving and they are dying off. Unfortunately the laurels don't. I went looking for that unnamed cellar that I was thinking to find with you and Matt. And of course I couldn't find it. Just some stone walls and grape vines and the road. Yes, I did the same as with Dan last Friday where I went bushwhacking when there was a trail to get in. Lol. I didn't realize there was a trail.

However, the LC is a Matron. If you think it's gotta have an 8 in the last digit, I'd lean toward 1818 or 1828, but possibly 1838. In '39 is when they changed the design. I guess the first two as my 1822 looked just as cooked as yours having a discernible date right out of the ground but not so much after a cleaning. We know the planchette standards took place later on in the series. Nice shield nickel and obvi gotta point out that buff had a run-in with the lawnmower. lol.

OxShoeDrew
09-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks all! Yeah Jim, I think that buff took one in the brisket :lol: Maybe Lee will chime in on the specifics of the cut of beef :lol:

aloldstuff
09-21-2016, 05:19 PM
WTG Drew. I also am looking for my 1st shield nickle. Huge buckle and congrats on the Matron. You mentioned that you would return to the cellar holes when the ferns die down and the parks stop producing......I see yourself with a big dilemma. :lol:

Digger_O'Dell
09-21-2016, 06:44 PM
Wow, lots of great finds! Congrats!