PDA

View Full Version : live dig of eagle artillery button and more 7 mins long

calabash digger
10-05-2016, 08:36 PM
https://youtu.be/6ezCl43Pq6E this is the live dig of the artillery button.55992

aloldstuff
10-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Nice dig. How did you determine that it was an artillery button?

del
10-06-2016, 05:45 PM
Nice dig. How did you determine that it was an artillery button?

Good question Al :thumbsup02:

It is possible it could be an infantry button Al as both the 1 piece convex types had similar eagles with shields , one having the I on the shield (infantry) and the other having the A on the shield (artillery) . I would suspect if it was indeed an infantry it would have some remanence of silver plating (Silver represented infantry units pre Civil War buttons) or gilt on the front and reverse but the artillery ones were either gold gilted or natural "yellow" brass (Gold represented Artillery units pre Civil War buttons ). I see no gilt of either type and would assume it also to be an artillery one and a natural yellow brass type .

Dan

calabash digger
10-06-2016, 05:53 PM
good question my buddy called it that and I didnt 5600856009question it but its probaly because I ve found these too in our area.

aloldstuff
10-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Dan, thanks for the information about that button. I was not aware of the different gilt or of the natural yellow brass types. I was under the impression that an I or an A would always be present.

calabash digger
10-06-2016, 07:31 PM
man you know your buttons! Im weak on the ID part of the hobby.

del
10-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Dan, thanks for the information about that button. I was not aware of the different gilt or of the natural yellow brass types. I was under the impression that an I or an A would always be present.

Al the I or the A is usually there but on these button they are the highest points on the face and are the first to wear off or get damaged . the gilt was also a designation just up to the Civil war and then most of the buttons were gold or yellow brass .

man you know your buttons! Im weak on the ID part of the hobby.

I love military buttons :smitten:and over the years have dug many early types including a few like the ones you posted here , back then it was always difficult to figure out what many were or when they were issued and now I feel obligated to help others with what i've learned .Thanks

BTV Digger
10-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Great info Dan...and congrats CD on the early mil. button! Gotta love the early mil!

John