PDA

View Full Version : Hunt With Wife

OxShoeDrew
10-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Mrs OxShoeDrew has become interested in taking pictures of mushrooms. So we went to a cellar hole together. I didn't think she'd last long and become annoyed with the bushwhacking, but we stayed a few hours and she wants to go back tomorrow...and pack a lunch!! :cheesysmile: She got frightened as the gun shots started sounding close (hunting season has started). Not only has this private property been metal detected but continues to be hunted without permission. Well, I was happy to find these goodies on one side of the cellar hole lip, in amongst the previous dig holes. Three more sides to go, and lots more land! The dirt is very kind to the finds at this site. Thanks for looking!
PS The V is 1897, IH is 1899,

Lodge Scent
10-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Nice to get Mrs. OSD interested Drew in getting out. While you are looking for relics she can be looking for Hen of the Woods!

What is that last object before the mushroom pic ? Kind of looks like a honey mushroom which is good eating but also could be a amanita (deadly).

Digger_O'Dell
10-08-2016, 11:33 PM
Couple of nice finds. Good luck with the other sided of the hole (and the missus)!

aloldstuff
10-09-2016, 04:48 AM
Lunch also.....WOW. Couple of nice finds and there sure is a lot of gold gilt left on that button. How does it feel to get back to cellar holes?

OxShoeDrew
10-09-2016, 05:47 AM
Jeff, that's a large sportsman's button with a cute dog...see his face?
DOD, thanks, I have more faith in this site now, even with the prior dig holes everywhere.
Al, I think I'm a better detectorist for spending the summer in parks. The woods are special to me so it was nice to get back...until the gunfire got close :lol::whiteflag:

OxShoeDrew
10-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Here is the little pup all groomed up.

Digger_O'Dell
10-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Great looking button!

OxShoeDrew
10-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Thanks, DOD! We went back for a few hours today. Found a sweet tag, but I don't know what S.N.E.P. Co is. The indian is 1891.
Mrs OSD again came along. Funny, she comes walking towards me with an old metal bucket, thinking it was a cool recovery. I had to laugh as I'd guess 80% of cellar holes have an old bucket laying around. It was cute, though.
Anyone know what that conical thing is? I've found them before but can't remember. Thanks!

del
10-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Careful , you'll get her hooked in this hobby ! ;) congrats on the coins and relics Drew . Its a nice time to be out in the woods .

BTV Digger
10-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Nice to see you out in the woods again Drew! It's good to mix it up through the year doesn't it. Really sweet old tag and sportsman's button though. Unique finds and always better finds (imo) than an IH - that is, if it's last two numbers aren't 7 and 7! HH!

John

Digger Don
10-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Bunch of gtreat finds Drew. :congrats:
How was your lunch?

MangoAve
10-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Nice finds Drew. Glad you got the wifey out too. The miss sometimes gets out... but because she likes the beach hunts and I like the nice quiet woods, which is a LOT more challenging, it doesn't often happen she comes along. I think based upon the research from that Gillespie token I found and sportsman buttons, that button prob dates sometime around that V-Nickel. I believe it was 1880s when spotsman's clubs came about.