PDA

View Full Version : House and Field Large Coppers and Silver!

Bell-Two
10-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Haven’t posted much lately but here is the results of a house hunt and some field hunts. The fields are just starting to be cut and hopefully soon some of the better producing ones will follow suit.

We did a door knock and the lady said that the house had been hunted many times before and “You won’t find anything!” well we are always up to the challenge and I made the first good find a 1944-D Mercury dime followed up by a set of Wings that had Captain on them. In the early 1930’s the General Shoe Company of Tennessee started a club to promote flying, issuing wings with ranks of Lieutenant, Captain, Colonel and General. Made of brass they represent the “Sky Riders Club.” Doug hit the hot spot on a smallish area in the side yard, he dug an 1833 Large Cent, 1867 Indian, 1879 Indian and a 1937 Buffalo nickel. Hmm not too bad considering that we “Won’t find anything!”

The following week we went out to see if any fields have been cut and we found one where we had found just a few things in before…Diane did the honors this time with a nice 1900 Indian and a trade token that dates from approximately the 1910-1920 era.

The following week Diane and I went out and found that another one of our permissions had been cut, this cornfield has always been tough to hunt but when you do find something it is always good. This time I did the honors with my first coin find a nice 1868 Shield Nickel with Rays. I got the signal and brush away some chaff, stuck the shovel in and started to pry up the ground and I spied just a small portion of a coin barely breaking the surface of the ground on edge. I was pleased to find the Shield. My next find was a solid 12-44 on the CTX and I thought Large Cent and it was. An early date 1819 which is in fairly decent shape.

A couple days later Doug was with us when we came back here and the only good find was made by me a Trade Token good for 5 Cents at the Bar…circa 1880’s we then moved on to another site where last year Diane and I found a lot of buttons…and again that were the major finds.

https://youtu.be/gUXAs1vWsMI

aloldstuff
10-10-2016, 02:15 PM
That is one impressive looking shield nickel and that 1833 LC is really nice. Congrats on all the finds and hoping that your fields get cut soon. Love the tokens.

Full Metal Digger
10-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Awesome finds Tony! The 1833 LC and the 1866 nickel are my favorites for sure. They must not use any fertilizer in those fields otherwise those coins would be toasty. Thanks for sharing and HH, Dave.

del
10-10-2016, 04:19 PM
yup the "rayed" shield nickle was only on the 1866 and some 67 issues , great coin Tony as is that matron head :loveit: , great finds

Lodge Scent
10-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Wow, some very nice finds Tony. That 1833 is sharp!

BTV Digger
10-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Congrats on all the nice finds you and your friends nabbed Tony! Man, the '33 LC and the shield nickel cleaned up about as good as you'll ever see for those coins! Way to go.

John

Digger_O'Dell
10-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Wow, those coins popped out in great shape! Love that shield and large! Well done and congrats!

OxShoeDrew
10-10-2016, 06:04 PM
I agree with everyone Tony those are some sharp coins....even the buff!!

Bell-Two
10-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Oops 1868 on the Shield is a typo it is of course 1866!

Digger Don
10-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Wow, awesome finds Tony. That 1833 Largie is in great condition. I always get a little jealous when I see a shield posted.
Congrats on all the cool finds