PDA

View Full Version : 5 silvers, marbles, bucket lister and a rant...

Bucknut
10-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Here are my good finds from the last couple weeks. A few mercs, a war nik, a buff, indian and a sterling cuff link. The silver cuff link is a bucket lister for me. Managed 3 more marbles! I now have 14 for the year! So a great couple weeks.

Below is a pic of a penny I found INSIDE of a rusty bottle cap! I thought it was pretty cool that I was able to get it with my Etrac. I was pretty sure I heard a coin and even though it was just an old penny I was satisfied with pulling that one out of the iron trash. I found it like this in my dirt pile so I am not sure how exactly it was oriented in the ground but most likely the penny was above the cap.

Rant time...during my lunch break on Monday I went to a nearby park and my Etrac would not turn on. It was my RNB battery again! I had the same issue this time last year. Now I LOVE this battery and I am going to get another one. But I think I am the only person in America to have an issue with it and now it has happened twice! RNB did fix it the first time and Joe (the owner) was very nice and helpful but I think I will just start with a new one.

Rant #2...so after I could not use the Etrac I decided to use the deus. NOW I love this thing at old sites (farm fields especially) where I WANT TO DIG IT ALL. This thing picks up non ferrous items like nothing else. BUT at a modern park its a frustrating story. in 45 minutes I dug about 15 pull tabs/rings with no coins...this is not uncommon at this particular park BUT I found it frustrating bc with the Etrac I know when I am going to dig a pull tab but with the deus the signals were anywhere from a 55 to 85. So for me I had no idea what I was digging. The depth indicator is not as accurate as the etrac either. When I hunt these old parks in my area I have to pick out good targets from the trash targets AND I need to also pay attention to the depth and I feel the Etrac is awesome at this. The deus could be but I am not there yet with it and to be perfectly fair that is on me not the machine. Not sure how "Detector Comparisons" does it at old parks...I think his favorite detector at parks is the deus. I like the tones much better with the Etrac than the deus...Etrac sounds like a finely tuned grand piano while the deus sounds like a homemade fiddle...that's been left in the rain...and strung with fishing line.

Well thanks for reading all that...I feel better now. I do think the deus is a great machine...I'm just not a great user of it.

aloldstuff
10-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Well that was some rant Bucknut......:lol:

Nice going on the silvers, what is the date of the Canadian?

:congrats: on that bucket list cuff link.

Bucknut
10-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Well that was some rant Bucknut......:lol:

Nice going on the silvers, what is the date of the Canadian?

:congrats: on that bucket list cuff link.

That Canadian dime I posted a couple weeks ago but not the merc, I found the merc the next day. Anyway it is smooth...I think it has to be between 1908-1935 or something like that.

MangoAve
10-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Grats on finding silvers.

As for machines, I would bet there might be an issue with settings for the Deus. Not speaking from personal experience. I figure there has to be a reason for the unstable VDI at parks with the high trash. Usually there tends to be less iron at parks and more in the foil, nickel, pull tab range. And at cellars its opposite. You wait for any non ferrous tone to come about. The guy I get out with sometimes from ytc uses the Deus and he seems to have a lot more luck in farm fields and parks than he does at cellars. it supposed to be made to hear all those individual targets...
:dontknow:

wisconsin digger
10-20-2016, 08:16 AM
Great finds. Can't say I have had to many issues with the etrac battery pack but occasionally I do not get it loaded quite right and it won't turn on. My recharge pack is 5 years old and I am down to about 4-5. hours of charge use WD

Digger_O'Dell
10-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Great finds, especially the cuff link!
I agree and unfamiliar machine can make anyone want to pull their hair out at parks. Only recently after about a year of very heavy use do I feel comfortable in high trash parks with my CTX. I have less experienced in high iron and am working the bugs out yet when I run into those areas full of nails.

OxShoeDrew
10-21-2016, 12:52 PM
"homemade fiddle...that's been left in the rain...and strung with fishing line." :lol:
You and Tony kill me with those marbles. Someday I'll find my first! Congrats on all the neat keepers!