PDA

View Full Version : New Site Old Finds!

Bell-Two
10-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Monday promised to be a pleasant day a typical late October day in Ohio. We went to a new site in a large field and I was able to find it fairly quickly. And what a site it is lot of older finds, no modern contamination to speak of. Diane made the first confirmation find a bent spoon and I too found part of a utensil handle. My first good find was a gorgeous barrel tap and I was pleased to find it. Diane was having a relic day with more spoon parts and some copper “whats’its”. I then got a good 12-44 signal and was happy to see an 1851 Large Cent! About 10 minutes went by when I got a 12-13 signal mixed with a lot of iron grunting and I was thinking I hope it is a Shield Nickel and it was an 1869. Diane found a very neat Locomotive button. I kept finding bits of copper and brass and then got a jumpy 12-36 again amongst a lot of iron…thinking maybe an Indian Head I got a surprise when I saw a tiny silver disk…an 1853 Half Dime! This field site covers a very large area so we were trying to cover what we could and then I got a very crummy signal that was mostly iron grunts with just a touch of a consistent high tone. While I was removing the nails and junk in the hole Diane walked over to me to show me what she just dug….I was amazed…in her hand she had the barrel of an old pistol! It turns out to be a Belgian percussion pistol of the type they call Cannon Barrel due to the distinctive end on it which resembles an old style cannon! I finished removing the junk from my target hole and finally found the high tone, a nice 1867 Indian Head. We continued to make some neat relic finds and will go back since this is such a large site it will need severe pounding to find more keepers! There are many more pictures in the video.

https://youtu.be/VT8enHNY55s

Lodge Scent
10-25-2016, 02:34 PM
That's it. I am moving to Ohio. That button is a great find and that pistol barrel is outrageous! :perfect10:

aloldstuff
10-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Some really great finds, hope many more on the return visit.

del
10-25-2016, 03:08 PM
Stellar finds Tony , Diane is a "machine" when it comes to finding coins and relics !!

Bucknut
10-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Man o man! So many awesome finds!

milco
10-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Super finds! You got a nice old spot there! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rebel
10-26-2016, 03:51 PM
Love the finds especially the RR Button & the Pistol Barrel.

calabash digger
10-27-2016, 08:41 AM
man those are nice!

BTV Digger
10-28-2016, 03:32 PM
Excellent finds Tony! Seated coins are always lovely, though the railroad button also ranks right up there.

John

OxShoeDrew
10-28-2016, 05:11 PM
One after the other! Great finds! That barrel is very interesting...thanks for the info! :clapping::congrats: