PDA

View Full Version : NY Hunt with forum members

hockeyguy
08-15-2010, 11:44 PM
So CC (Catskill Comics) told me 2 weeks ago that he was hooking up a hunt with coinnut and del, so I was looking forward to it. CC did all the research, emailed me the map and really did the due dilligence! :cheering: :cheering: I was excited to hunt with members I have seen post for several years and I knew there was a lot of experience there.

I however, did not expect the day to begin at 5:30 am, so I let them handle the sunrise and I joined them at ~ 8:30. Actually I caught them leaving the 1st location as the grass was too long. We headed to location #2 (of at least 4 of 5).

When we got there, I wanted to check out a trashy area with the lowered variability setting so when coinnuit found his walker, I was quite a ways away. He had 4 silvers in the 1st 15 minutes! I had nothing until about 11 am when I did find a merc hiding in the iron. Yup i had been over the spot before but the new settings revealed her.

I listened to at least 1 pre-dig signal coinnut encountered, just for the learning....clear as a bell to me. Wish I had listened to the wlaker which was much deeper.

After a few more hours, I decided to alter my open screen as I couldn't listen to the blam of iron anymore :beatdeadhorse:, so I switched to conductive and went to 22 IM. Soon after, I hit another merc. Then another setting change to ferrous and I hit the barber :cheesysmile:. They have been hard to come by this year for me.

Anyway, I also found 7 or 8 wheaties, some religious items, a musketball , a watch buckle, a tag, and the IH penny. Of course some large copper items as well. Not much clad, maybe 1 or 2 pieces. All in all, not a bad day for me. Yesterday on a short hunt, i found a 46 rosie so I am at 29 silver coins YTD.

It was really cool hanging out with other forum members and learning from them. I was really impressed that they had driven all night, immediately began hunting and never stopped. I thought we might soon move, but at 4:30 pm, CC literally threw in the towel! I didn't see del for about an hour and thought he may be back at the truck resting :crazy:, however, that was not the case. There were resilliant; glad their no hockey opponents! These guys have some serious staying power :shocked04:; if they were professional fighters, they'd be ready for 50 rounds!

Anyway, Scott and I hope to go out their way and hunt with them in their terrain (actually, I am originally from MA)

If you generally hunt alone, you should go out with someone else, it's a rush to watch someone else find something because it lets you know what is really there. I rarely hunt alone....just not as interesting.

Cheers :beerbuddy: Aaron

Cheap Thrills
08-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Beautiful stuff hockeyguy nice hunting .

z118
08-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Nice finds! I'd love to get in on a hunt like that! Were you guys hunting inthe Albany area? That would have been worth a three hour drive anyday.

angellionel
08-16-2010, 08:17 AM
You had a good hunt, Aaron, and had great company too. thumbsup01 I do love the look of that old silver! What a fun hunt that must have been! :yes: Starting the hunt at 5:30 in the morning is nothing to Dan and George. Now you know why relics are never safe from them. lol

Epi-hunter
08-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Congrats on the silver! Some beautiful finds! thumbsup01

coinnut
08-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Hey Aaron, thanks for the nice words. Del never lets us rest or otherwise I would get this :beatdeadhorse: :hammer: :bop:.... :blackeye: rofl

You did great yesterday. Got some good silver and a nice Indian. Believe it or not, that section where I got the Walker will still have some silver hiding there. It's just trying to figure out ways to find it that is the hard part lol If you guys get a good, soaking couple of days of rain, the deeper silver dimes should surface. I like getting together with the other forum members to hunt. I still have a couple of guys to get together with as soon as time allows. Work has got to go....I have too much detecting left to do rofl Your machine worked well in that area and you found some nice coins. A great day in my books!! :beerbuddy:

del
08-16-2010, 08:48 AM
yes you did great Aaron beautiful coins and you won oldest silver coin contest , by all rights George has to forfiet his silver to you as in agreed prize payment. or get this :bop: :behave: :hammer: lol lol lol hey Aaron it was great to meet with you in person and hope to see ya soon out this way for a cool fall colonial hunt , as soon as we get a decent one or two lined up . and i agree with George when you guys get a good rain you'll see more depth and silver pop out of that place and definately hit that first place we were at in the spring as its has great potential .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-16-2010, 09:04 AM
wow ya did great! some sweet silver there! you are always in good company with that cellar hole tandem of Dan & George thumbsup01

NiagaraCountyNY
08-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Great finds!! glad you fellas got togther.Sounds like it was alot of fun.Im one of those guys outta of bed by 4am on Hunt days(after going to Bed at 1am because im excited ) <: Thx for the pics.HH