PDA

View Full Version : New field.....not so old

aloldstuff
11-03-2016, 11:43 AM
56437564385643956440Recently I went to a field that I had found my first ever LC. Got some items but this field seems to be newer by about 100 years.

Managed 4 wheat's, 2 1918, 1919, 1945. Also some buttons, 1 flat and a mangled coat. Couple of musket balls and a cast iron wheel that would have gone to an old toy. The item next to the wheel I have no idea.

While I was there I was approached by a gentleman who is the head grounds keeper at this site. This site is plowed every year and I went to the farmer who told me that they are state fields. Well not being part of DCR (Dept Conservation and Recreation) our park Nazis, I had every right to be there. This guy was very nice and started to give me the history of the land and told me some very interesting bits of history. Without saying to much more.....I will be going back.

At least once a week I travel to another town to check on the corn situation and yup, its still standing....drat.

Thanks for reading and HH everyone.

del
11-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Ok , you have me very curious as to what new information the man told you :lol:. congrats on the early lincolns .

MangoAve
11-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Still some nice finds, Al, even if not that old. I pulled a brass pin and a D buckle the same size from a field dating to 1850's. And a musket ball and mangled flat button last night from a field that I have no idea on the age as the two houses that sat there were long gone from the 34 aerial and no way to tell the age of the structures that did exist. Last night I did have a guy across come talk to me (how you mentioned someone came up to you). I was thinking at first this was gonna be another situation like the last one where a guy was trying to tell me town land was private. In actuality he was nice and said he had a white's before but sold it and said I could check his house. It was 1954, 5 years older than mine where I found silver. It was literally 25ft from a house that was on the old map and seemed to have an 80+ year tree on it so I figured I'd give it a shot. Devoid of any good targets.. but ehh. Just good it wasn't an altercation situation.

OxShoeDrew
11-03-2016, 02:00 PM
I remember my first LC too. :smitten: I was sooo excited. Jeepers, when are they gunna cut that corn? Lazy farmers :lol: Seriously though, the farmers I deal with work harder than anyone I know! Congrats on those high vdi targets!

Digger_O'Dell
11-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Nice targets Drew! Looks more like a Midwest hunt than a NE one But it's the same here in Wisconsin. Crops still standing and untouched other than by the deer and turkeys

BTV Digger
11-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Nice finds Al. I have an iron wheel off a child's toy identical to the one you've posted. Perhaps to a toy wagon?

John

Lodge Scent
11-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Should be nice hunting when the corn comes down Al. Yeah, best to avoid DCR land :cheesysmile:

calabash digger
11-10-2016, 09:26 AM
There should be a forum were we could complain to the farmers about not cutting the fields fast enough got a few im eyeballing too. Dont be so quick to write it off sometimes they overlap ive got places that overlap up to modern times man those are hard sites to dig . Ive found little buckles just like the one you got. congrats on the finds.