PDA

View Full Version : More Large Cents and Indians!

Bell-Two
11-04-2016, 07:55 AM
We returned to the field where Doug found the Draped Bust Large Cent and again it gave us some good finds. Diane got the first keeper a Large Cent which I think is 1835, the date was so weakly struck it is hard to tell. An interesting thing about this coin is that the reverse is rotated 180 degrees! It is not unusual to find rotation of reverse dies on the early Large Cents but this is as extreme as you can get! A bit later I dug my first good find, an 1868 Shield Nickel, the signal was a bit jumpy due to a lot of iron around it but by narrowing my sweep I could get a repeatable 12-12 on my CTX and I was pleased to see this coin. Diane then got a Indian Head signal and dug a nice 1872 which is a semi-key date. Things slowed down for a bit and then I got a very strong 12-45 and out popped an 1830 Large Cent. A bit later I dug an odd looking target and when I wiped it off I was very pleased to see it was the remainder piece of the bicycle head badge I dug the last time we were here. I had dug a small bottom part of it but enough I could identify what it was but the rest completed it. The model of the bike is the “Royal Flush” made by the Columbus Bicycle Company in 1895! Nearby I got a 12-41 signal and when I saw the “coin” in the hole I thought a Two Cent Piece, numbers were right, size was right….but it had 2 ½ on the back! Turns out to be an 1886 Saloon token from Columbus Ohio! Some relics finished out the day.

https://youtu.be/3tNjNoov9Cc

Bucknut
11-04-2016, 10:41 AM
That is a sweet Shield Nik! Another typical BellTwo hunt! Congrats

MangoAve
11-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Grats on the LCs and the rest. That shield nickel is surprisingly nice. Nice research on that bicycle head badge.

Digger_O'Dell
11-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Great hunt, congrats on the LCs and the others goodies. That shield nickel is sweet! Pretty cool token too. :clapping:

Sam
11-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Wow! Great bunch of finds there!

del
11-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Great finds Tony & Diane , I love the saloon token Tony !:perfect10:

BTV Digger
11-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Fantastic finds...quite the assortment Tony. Man, you don't see a Shield Nickel come out of the ground looking that nice too often. The saloon token is perhaps the best find though. Congrats!

John