PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Collar Pin, Fatty

OxShoeDrew
11-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Hiya! I've found so many fatties this year...I actually dug two in one day a while back. :shocked01: This one, however, is dateless and rang up VERY low. I wonder if certain dates would be lower than others.
Yesterday I dug a mailbox number "7." I thought that it would be cool to find something right away, after finding a lucky number 7...then not 5 min later...bam...found my first US collar pin. :yes: I believe it to be post-WW2.
Also, it always amazes me how big these dandy buttons can be! One day it is going to have a chicken hawk on it!:daydream: Thanks for looking!
PS I'm going to put that lucky 7 in my pouch to see if it helps.:grin:

Digger_O'Dell
11-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Cool finds Drew! Lots of buckles too I see, congrats!

fyrffytr1
11-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Nice finds. I think your disc dates between 1948 and 1951. The improved Ballou clutches(they have eight tiny cleats on them to better grip the material) on your button came out in 1948 but the disc itself is flat. They were slightly convex starting in 1951.

OxShoeDrew
11-07-2016, 04:08 AM
Thanks, guys! Those small buckles sound like coins :rolleyes:
fyrffytr1, could you be more specific on the date? :lol: Thanks!

Digger Don
11-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Nice finds Drew. I really like that collar pin!

MangoAve
11-07-2016, 10:31 AM
Nice finds again, Drew. I have not had anything specific bring me luck out there. Maybe I need something for such. Maybe I need to carry a harmonica reed to ward away the rest of them. Three more came up this weekend. ugh.

Those small buckles sound like coins :rolleyes:
fyrffytr1, could you be more specific on the date? :lol: Thanks!

:lol: Yeah. That's too broad. Lol. Good research, tho. Drew, I know what you mean on those buckles. Even tho, they sound more like IH or deeper wheats. One I pulled this weekend, tho, sounded like it was more like a dime or LC. I think a hunting dog collar and unfortunately it had the closed S hook but no tag.

Sam
11-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Cool finds Drew. That collar pin is really neat.

Lodge Scent
11-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Nice digs Drew. I see another bird band. I sent an email to someone at the Fall River Racing Pigeon club to see if they can ID that one you found earlier.

OxShoeDrew
11-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Thanks, everyone! That is a great idea Jim...I'm going to put everything I don't want to find in my pouch to ward off others!!! :lol:
Jeff, yeah I forgot to mention another racing bird band. This one is from Hudson County NY. I've started ANOTHER collection :lol:

del
11-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Congrats on the military collar disk Drew , some of them dandy buttons are Uuuge! :lol: I think my largest is like 42mm across !:wow:

BTV Digger
11-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Great finds Drew and congrats on your first collar pin! I've never found one either. By the way I keep the first wheat cent I ever found in my pouch on my hunts! Us hobbyists are superstitious aren't we?!

John

aloldstuff
11-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Looks to me like that number 7 is already producing for you. Great finds and congrats on the collar pin.