PDA

View Full Version : Multiple hunts, and got that sinking feeling.

Digger_O'Dell
11-07-2016, 11:33 PM
Hi all,
Got out for a couple hunts this past week. The first was at the park near home where I had some good finds. This time the goodies were much harder to come across and I only came up with 2 wheats, one of which was deep in the woods. Makes one wonder how it got there. I also found a very unusual and large home made fishing sinker.
I was planning a road trip for an outing with another member for Sunday, but it got cancelled Saturday due to poor conditions where we had planned to go. So instead I headed out solo early Sunday morning about an hour South. The first stop are a quarry park and beach only produced an old fishing lure and another sinker.
The next stop was at a nearby river I had hoped might produce something, but only found it loaded with people fly fishing. So I headed to the next park down stream. This park obviously is heavily detected as it didn't even have much trash. On the edges in the weeds I did find a badly trashed no date wheat and a key. So I decided to change direction and try the water. Here I was able to score some clad, a hot wheels tank truck, and yet another old sinker. Then it was off to the beach at the lake. Here I only found a bit more clad.
Next stop was closer to home. It was an area someone had told me about that showed a building on the old aerial maps. After almost an hour hiking I found it had obviously been dug out, only a hole remained with a bit of metal scrap and some clad nearby. This was another letdown. So back to the car with time to maybe hit one more site. This time I hit another park but found little there. The hunting was tough because of heavy trash. One hole i did eyeball an old tile. Maybe part of the hotel that i got the livery tag from since it was close to the same spot. I also did manage more clad, and I did get one deep repeatable squeaker high tone. This turned out to be probably the most difficult target I've had to date! I kept pinpointing moving targets here. The first turned out to be a rusty bottle cap. Rechecking the hole, and found a ball of tin foil. Rechecking and get another piece of foil. Checked again, got another bottle cap. Check once more and found a crushed screw cap. OK, one more check and another target. Dig out another clump and the signal is gone can't find it in the hole or the clump. I go to give up and go to fill the hole so I grab my lesche. I look, and what do I see? A shiny rim stuck in the dirt on the blade! Ended up with a 53 Rosie and my only good keeper of the day.
Next big outing, I located an obscure, mostly forgotten stream close to home that I found used to be a local swimming hole in the early part of the 1900s, maybe earlier. Still looking for my honey hole!
Thanks for reading, GL&HH!

Olivinetoothedcreeper
11-07-2016, 11:56 PM
Think it's some cosmic joke when you find a miniature automobile. I found a 79 Camaro the other day made in Malaysia while in a area dating to 1790.

Digger_O'Dell
11-08-2016, 03:37 AM
Almost forgot the beach and water finds at the lake. A first-28 GA head stamp!

MangoAve
11-08-2016, 11:53 AM
The second post looks like better finds. The time when I found that WWI fob this summer, on the hill side was this area with a lower grade slope. The guy who invited us found a nice signal. It turned out to be one of those big toy dump trucks. Like a Tonka one It wasn't too far from some house, however you still wonder why this thing would be out in the woods near a house site dating back to the 1700s.

Digger Don
11-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Your about due for that honey hole!! It's out there.
Maybe sometime we could get together for some farm house door knocking.
Plenty of them still out there!

aloldstuff
11-09-2016, 03:43 PM
I have to say that one of your fishing sinkers looks like a clock pendulum weight. Keep at it.....the honey hole is closer than you think.