PDA

View Full Version : Veterans weekend finds.

MangoAve
11-15-2016, 02:56 PM
Friday I skipped out of work a tad early for a nice sushi lunch and then a hunt at a permission. The owner is a coworker of the gf. The house was built 1880 and is definitely near an old area. The owner kept saying that the driveway was an old carriage road (must be before the 1868 map was drawn) and was hoping that we dig a Higley. That didn't quite happen, but the gf and the daughter were both using and kinda showing each other the way to best isolate targets with a CC coil. The machine would lose the treasure vision if changing to a DD coil.

I ended up finding two silver there and 19 wheats. The daughter has the first one dug. The owner has a nice toy cannon and a pocket knife I dug. I will have to obtain the cannon for usage as a FOTM at the ytc club meeting in January. I was surprised to find so many wheats, NO zincolns, and only two memorials.

Saturday I was up before the sunrise at 445a to go meet up with Mark, Robert, and to finally meet Jim from RI. The first spot was really close to their house and he was surprised he didn't know about it earlier. It definitely started off slow for me, altho it wasn't long for Mark to find a nice VT rider 13. Rob found a 1752 KG2 made into a rosette. Jim found a silver plated buckle: being debated on the design whether it is a knee buckle or canister buckle. Site 1 was bad to me. I went by the iron in the ground. The first 30ft from cellar was iron. Then it was less iron for the next 20 ft. Then sporadic for 10-20 more ft. Since I didn't hear any more iron I turned and went toward an old cedar. If I had gone another 10-15 more feet, I would have scored a copper. Rob found three coppers in that spot I had dismissed, but once I got into the area and after those were found, I noticed the iron picked back up again. All I scored there was a sword tip (definitely a sword as the thinner edge is the curved edge. The other way around would be a scythe), a few iron buckles, and a bowl. Oh, how many have seen it on FB and have said they had one in their younger days. :lol:
The next spot we went to had 3 cellars. The first one I was the only one to score something at. It was a tiny domed pewter button behind the chimney pile. There was a guy cutting down some trees nearby and had noticed the cellars. The second one was good to the others and only coughed up one button for me. It was totally amassed and hidden from the logging going on. Many areas which would have been good to swing were now covered with the downed trees. Right away Jim and Rob scored buttons. It took me quite a while to finally find that sportsman button with the rabbit and eagle on it. The backmark is worn that I cant identify a maker. I know it was a family as the word 'Sons' is on there.

The third site was best to me. I pulled up six more buttons, one with the pattern on it. One with no shank makes me question it. Maybe it's not a button, but probably it is. I don't see a spot for the shank and it sure is irregular. The tiny cuff buttons have some nice backmarks: "Best quality" and the other a wreath. The last site was otw back. I am kinda kicking myself for not finding the cellar last time I was there. I came the other way and it was too overgrown to find. I managed a button in this heavily ironed area and some other whatsit piece. Stay tuned for that whatsit pic. Lol. And pics from the 6th. The club hunt was last Wed so I didn't have time to get pics. I only have short vid clips which cant be loaded here.

Sunday was a dud. I tried to find the site where I lost my tumbler due to bees hiking out of there. I cleared some of around the cellar but it didn't help. I still would have to cut behind the cellar as well. I took two snaps tho. One of the cellar with the well right next to it. I know I took a pic of the vines last time I was there. This time I saw one even bigger. So I took a pic.

aloldstuff
11-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Jim, another nice weekend (extended) for you. Sweet looking group of buttons and quite a pile of wheat's. Sorry to read about you missing out on the coppers but you got some silver....:thumbsup02:

Lodge Scent
11-15-2016, 05:27 PM
More good huntin' Jim. That blade is cool. It pays to dig iron ! Also like that sporting button. Hey, I lost that pipe way back in 1975, but you can keep it ;).

MangoAve
11-16-2016, 10:45 AM
Jim, another nice weekend (extended) for you. Sweet looking group of buttons and quite a pile of wheat's. Sorry to read about you missing out on the coppers but you got some silver....:thumbsup02:

Thanks, Al. At least reassurance it wasn't all bad. :lol: It just took me forever to find something good on Saturday... good as in a relic you would expect to dig. It was nice weather and I hope you were out. Sunday was amazing for weather. And I hope this upcoming and following weekends are just as nice. Next weekend is another extended one for the holiday. I have 4 days off!!! (Unless I want OT pay) Mehh. Detecting is more like playing the lottery. Maybe I can find a coin worth some $$ and not need any OT at all. ;)

More good huntin' Jim. That blade is cool. It pays to dig iron ! Also like that sporting button. Hey, I lost that pipe way back in 1975, but you can keep it ;).

Thanks Jeff. Too bad I know nothing on historic blade types used. Sure I know the history of the Karambit and kukuri knives and I own some zombie killer blades :shocked04:, but I am not familiar with historic ones. That's Your pipe? Many have owned up to it; I know you are supposed to pass it. Who's was it for real? :lol:

RIdirtdigger
11-18-2016, 10:12 AM
That was a fun hunt. Nice to finally meet you.

BTV Digger
11-20-2016, 08:23 PM
That's an impressive pile of wheats Jim - congrats. I'm wondering how you'd do electrolysis on a sword tip like that! You'd have to get quite creative!

John

MangoAve
11-21-2016, 10:43 AM
That was a fun hunt. Nice to finally meet you.

It was a little grueling with the hiking thru the logging. No cake walk there. Lol. It was nice to meet you, too, Jim.

That's an impressive pile of wheats Jim - congrats. I'm wondering how you'd do electrolysis on a sword tip like that! You'd have to get quite creative!
John

Thanks, John. To me, I think that's typical from a yard. My yard had some fill in a small area, yet I still found wheats right there. So when you don't see much come up, you have to wonder what happened whether it was filled or hit before. Nineteen coins for a 50+ yr time span (cuz they circulated past '59 and are still sometimes found here an there now).
As for the electrolysis, I have seen a few youtube vids on it. Something that big, I'd prob need to pick up a 5/10/50 charger at harbor freight or something. There are also carbon rods that you can pick up online and use for this. The rust collects on the rods, but I believe they can just be wiped and reused until they are worn down too much of course. Prob need to do 1/2 at a time as you don't want the wire/clips/electrodes in the solution. You only want the item in the solution. I just been too lazy on this as I had some other big iron items that could use electrolysis such as a big stove door with a design.