PDA

View Full Version : Hiking to some new firsts

Digger_O'Dell
11-15-2016, 10:29 PM
I got out this afternoon for a couple hours to a local hiking trail near an former farm site I had hunted earlier in the year. But I had not been to this part of the woods before, so thought to try sweeping the trail with the big coil to cover more ground since I wasn't expecting much to be there.
About maybe a quarter mile and a few clad coins I got a really nice 12-34 which I though may be a wheatie. Instead I dug out my first ever musket ball! It had obviously been fired but must have missed the target and hit soft ground instead as it only had a flattened spot on one side.

I didn't find anything more at this point so continued down the trail. About 15 minutes later I found beside the trail an old well that was fenced off. Didn't find anything here with the big coil because of lots of nails and other debris. But maybe 30 feet down the trail I got a good high tone that turned out to be a large ornate silver plated spoon. Turns out its from Royal Plate Co. And it's a 1900 pattern.

At this point it was starting to get dark, so I decided to poke around the well area some more. At the edge of the field just outside the woods I get a shallow 12-40. This time it turned out to be another first-aid band from a racing pigeon!

At this point I decided to try going deeper into the woods and check it out. After getting through some brush allong the path the woods opened up some and I spot some unusual rock patterns. As I get closet I realize I stumbled on an old cellar hole! This is amazing as cellar holes are basically unheard of in my area. This is when I realized I would have t OK come back another time because having only the big coil it was impossible to get any good signals with all the iron. I did manage a few items, including a partial scythe blade, the remains of a wind up clock, and other items I can't readily identify. I will soon be back with the 6 inch coil to get between the trash, there's got to be lots of goodies here!

Lodge Scent
11-16-2016, 08:04 AM
Let me be the first to congratulate you on your firsts. Nice digs! Are you sure you didn't wander into New England ? ;)

Digger_O'Dell
11-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Let me be the first to congratulate you on your firsts. Nice digs! Are you sure you didn't wander into New England ? ;)

As far as it felt I walked, I could have been in New England for all I knew! :lol: But really, it did feel like stepping back in time there and now think I'm going to enjoy a bit of East coast style detecting. It's going to be quite the experience on the return trip I think.

Bucknut
11-16-2016, 09:54 AM
Yeah you need to go back for sure and dig that place up! Who knows what you will find?

del
11-16-2016, 10:06 AM
congrats on your Cellar hole find !!:cheering: The pictures sure looks like woods out this way , I hope you can locate all the buildings (home , barn , and outbuildings and sheds) . I m sure you will finds some cool interesting coins and relics .

Dan

MangoAve
11-16-2016, 10:56 AM
That well looks a tad different than the ones here, however the ones here are not consistent either. Some have had more effort put into finding stones with straighter sides. Grats on finding a musket ball. Last time I got one of those I was in a field. I was happy, but since I have gotten a bunch now (and only 1 CW bullet) it was less special. The guys who saw it, tho, in a nearby house thought it was the coolest thing. Prob cuz its rare to them. Oh, and be prepared for much more spoons. Lol. Esp if you try detecting a NE cellar.

The Rebel
11-16-2016, 11:33 AM
WTG on the finds as well as your 1st Cellar hole! Hit it low & slow with a smaller coil & keep us posted. You're gonna have a blast! :thumbsup01:

Digger_O'Dell
11-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys, can't wait to get back out there. I can't describe how seeing and recognizing that hole for what it was blew me away. Now can't sleep and worried someone got there before me like all the other sites in my area. Lol

OxShoeDrew
11-16-2016, 06:44 PM
You never forget your first hole! :lol::thumbsup01:
I just have one question that you'll now understand...WHY ARE ALL SPOONS BENT???:disgusted::thinkingabout::)
Congrats on the firsts! Many more!

Digger_O'Dell
11-16-2016, 08:27 PM
Bent spoons? Wish I knew! :lol: