PDA

View Full Version : Cellar hunt part 2

Digger_O'Dell
11-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Hi all,
Got back to the cellar hole area again this morning for about a 3 hour hunt. All I can really say is I have a newfound respect for you east coast guys dealing with loads of iron!
So despite plenty of time and effort there wasn't much to find. No buttons, no coins, just a few relics, bullets, etc. I did a lot more research on the site last night and there is no sign there ever was a home site here. I have a suspicion this was probably another outbuilding related to the nearby barn. The closest homesite was across the road which was on the 1887 map, but it's now a gravel pit. According to the 1937 aerial photo the whole area was bare field then other than the barn.

del
11-18-2016, 12:26 PM
wells are the key , they took a lot of time and effort to dig and line with stone.so these were only placed near a home or a barn where animals were kept. massive amounts of iron usually suggest a building

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
11-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Yes, lots and lots of square nails, wire, sheet metal pieces, etc. At one corner of the cellar there is a spot that looks like an outline of a fireplace. It does make sense. Maybe it's just been pounded in the past, who knows.

OxShoeDrew
11-18-2016, 06:17 PM
I love when I find a site that doesn't show up maps...sadly, many times those sites don't seem to produce much non-ferrous. Maybe your site has been contaminated or was later owned by the newer house across the street... not being included on maps indicate an old site, but your finds look on the "newer" side.

aloldstuff
11-19-2016, 01:50 PM
Not being a cellar hole hunter myself your site still produce some items. That dragon hook items looks great.

Digger_O'Dell
11-19-2016, 02:47 PM
Not being a cellar hole hunter myself your site still produce some items. That dragon hook items looks great.

Thanks! I'm not sure what the dragon looking piece is, but think maybe it might have been an old wall sconce oil lamp holder?

Also, forgot a couple photos.