PDA

View Full Version : 2 complete knee buckles in less than a week, French copper at old cabin site.

RIdirtdigger
11-18-2016, 04:56 PM
I have been very lazy on this forum for a while now and I apologize for that. But here's a recap of my last few hunts. Couple of weekends ago on a Sunday I returned to back to the virgin site that I found back in May and pulled out my first ever GW. Not many targets left now but I got a repeatable signal right next to a big rock very close to one of the sites stone walls. This thing was deep, probably 8-10 inches but it was all worth it as I pulled out a beautiful complete knee buckle! It has an iron tongue and chape but all of it is there! I was very happy because other than a broken piece of a tombac, that was all I found there that day! The following Saturday I met up with Rob, Mark and Jim (MangoAve on this forum). We hit up 4 cellar holes, only one of them ended up being a dud. The rest all gave up some good finds. The first site gave up a total of 5 coppers with Rob getting 4 of them and Mark getting 1. The only "coppers" Jim and I managed there were Wheaties :lolsign:. I did however manage to find my second complete knee buckle in less than a week. This knee buckle is unique it seem as it has a "D" shaped frame with applied silver on one side. Once again it has an iron tongue and chape but its all there. Very cool find! The rest of the sites gave up usual colonial relics for me, buttons, parts to shoe buckles... I did find my very first ever open works flat button which was awesome. You don't see those come out of the ground very often. Very fun hunt and it was nice to finally meet Jim. (MangoAve)

Yesterday I checked out an area in RI that I had hit very hard back in 2015. It has a ton of sites but only a few that I had found gave up good finds. Some of the sites didn't give up any targets what so ever. Decided to check a few areas where I thought there may be cabin sites. First two were duds, nothing there. I arrive at the third area, jump over a stone wall and notice the classic rock piles that are numerous in this area, mostly on the outskirts of the known cellar holes. I turn on my machine and unlike the last two areas, get an iron signal every once in a while. I continue up a small hill, the iron getting more frequent and then I notice a rock pile up ahead that is much larger than any other. The area around this rock pile was "clean" and devoid of the boulders that I had seen everywhere else. This rock pile turns out to be all that's left of an old colonial cabin site! :happydance02: I turn on my detector and right away get an iffy signal almost on cabin site itself. I was expecting a button as it rang up a 56 on my AT Gold but end up pulling out a very thin worn copper coin. This coin turns out to be a 1710-1712 Louis XIV 6 Deniers. This is only my second ever French copper so I am very happy about that. I did not find much after that, a piece of brass and a pewter button. This site is quite old and I do not think it lasted very long. I'll be back another time to finish it off. Hope you enjoyed reading- Happy hunting! 56667566825668156680566795667856677566765667556674 56673566725667156670566695666856683

Digger_O'Dell
11-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Congrats on the French coin and all the buttons and buckles. Looks like some nice hunting sites.

aloldstuff
11-19-2016, 01:47 PM
Great looking buckles and some really nice buttons. Thanks for posting.

OxShoeDrew
11-19-2016, 02:21 PM
That first D buckle is very interesting Jim! Good to hear from you again!

BTV Digger
11-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Very nice finds and congrats on another old French copper! Love that first knee buckle though...very unique shape.

john

Lodge Scent
11-20-2016, 10:05 PM
Great digs! Congrats!

MangoAve
11-21-2016, 10:09 AM
Grats on the finds. Someday I'll find an open design button like that. Not sure if those who read, but the three years of these coppers might make them more rare than a FE cent which also lasted three years. It was nice to meet you, too, and maybe sometime soon we'll get out again. The last two sites definitely need a revisit...after the logging is done.

The Rebel
11-22-2016, 12:12 PM
You had a killer hunt! Love the view from your spot!