PDA

View Full Version : Some cool buttons and other relics

BTV Digger
11-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Hi folks and hope this note finds you well. Well, the snow hit last night and I'm afraid unless we get a solid warm stretch it may be here to stay, at least in the hills. Perhaps I'll get a few more chances on the valley floor in a week or two - who knows. C'est la vie in the North Country. Anyway, here's some pics from my past few hunts. Got skunked again on the older coins (just a 1948 wheatie), but did manage a few nice buttons including a WW1 Great Seal coat button (1902-1920 or so per the age of the site) and a West Chicago Street Railway conductors button (c. 1887-1913) which was one of the early precursors to the Chicago Transit Authority system established later on in the 1940s. Why that was at a Vermont cellar hole - who knows? :huh: but it was my favorite of this set of finds. Also pulled a Victorian era padlock (Eagle Lock Co.) from the shores of Lake Champlain, two (perhaps 3) reigns guides, crotal bell and a cool little spoon from the Clara Barton Red Cross Society. The zoom shot actually has her bust in the bowl. I'm thinking c. 1900 on a date but not 100% positive - online resources provided a hit, but were vague. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

John

Digger_O'Dell
11-21-2016, 01:58 PM
Congrats on the nice finds! I always like the old locks, though I have yet to find one that old. The ring is a great score! Still have old bells on the bucket list, still haven't seen a crotal or Conestoga yet.

del
11-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Wow , John :cheering:some fantastic relics that has to be one of the best looking "great seal " eagle buttons :loveit: and the Chicago street railway button is a very sweet one to find out your way . you've been doing very well and I hope you get to get out at least a few more times this year.

Dan

Tony Two-Cent
11-21-2016, 04:07 PM
I really like that Red Cross spoon! What does it say on it? I would love to see a better closeup photo of it.

Lots of great relics and buttons!

:congrats:

BTV Digger
11-21-2016, 04:49 PM
Congrats on the nice finds! I always like the old locks, though I have yet to find one that old. The ring is a great score! Still have old bells on the bucket list, still haven't seen a crotal or Conestoga yet.

Thanks much. Love those old locks as well. You'll find a crotal eventually I'm sure, especially if you hit older farms.

Wow , John :cheering:some fantastic relics that has to be one of the best looking "great seal " eagle buttons :loveit: and the Chicago street railway button is a very sweet one to find out your way . you've been doing very well and I hope you get to get out at least a few more times this year.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Yeah, was quite happy to see both of those buttons clean up as nice as they did.

I really like that Red Cross spoon! What does it say on it? I would love to see a better closeup photo of it.

Lots of great relics and buttons!

:congrats:

Thanks Tony. It says Red Cross Society/Clara Barton. On back it's says Crown Silverplate. Here's a zoom shot - you can see her bust in the spoon bowl as well. HH!

OxShoeDrew
11-21-2016, 05:04 PM
WOW!! Some really special finds John! I'd go home happy if I found any one of those five keepers! Chris likes the crotal, Dan likes the eagle button, Tony likes the Barton spoon, but I like the Chicago button...maybe because in the early 70s I LOVED The "Chicago" Transit Authority!! :bananadance:Great job!
We only got an inch :happydance01:

Lodge Scent
11-21-2016, 05:21 PM
More nice digs John. I'd have to say I am partial to the bell. Nice buttons too though. Wasn't really a Chicago Transit Authority fan myself. Back in the 70's, it would have been the Ramones :behave:

OxShoeDrew
11-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Wasn't really a Chicago Transit Authority fan myself. Back in the 70's, it would have been the Ramones :behave:
I went to a Ramones concert back in music school...I think the university offered it as a "how not to treat a musical instrument" example :lol::poke: Just kidding, I now understand their aesthetic.

calabash digger
11-21-2016, 08:48 PM
those are some really cool finds!

MangoAve
11-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Nice finds, John. Who knows, We may actually be lucky enough like last year and get some time to swing around xmas. That'll be nice cuz I have ten days off in a row. [Yes, I will work for three of those to get the double time plus the vacation time, but I that still leaves plenty of time to get out]. That iron one does look like a reign guide as well. I can't see why they couldn't have made some out of iron. Maybe the brass was easier to cast than iron. Most iron was hand forged back then. Maybe Encyclopedia BriDanica will know for certain. I almost thought one was crushed but I see that is just a unique shape. Both those buttons are really great shape. Grats on those. And good research to narrow down the date on the WWI button as they were used a tad longer, but to date from the site.

aloldstuff
11-25-2016, 06:55 AM
John, some really neat finds. If you think about crotal bells I believe that most of us have more old coppers than crotal bells. That Red Cross spoon is something I haven't seen before. Good question.....how did that Chicago Conductors button end up where you found it???? Hope your season will continue. And seeing that no one has commented I will be the first....nice wheat...:lol: