PDA

View Full Version : Photos of a Mourning Button found on a hunt a few weeks ago.

Donnie B
11-26-2016, 03:12 PM

Lodge Scent
11-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Very interesting. I've dug a lot of buttons but can't say I have a morning button. Congrats!

OxShoeDrew
11-26-2016, 05:38 PM
wow, never heard of this, I too will have to go back and look at all my dandies. Congrats!

aloldstuff
11-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Yup, I'm with Drew....time to check the buttons.

Donnie B
11-26-2016, 06:18 PM
I found that button on a hunt with Danny LaMontagne and Brian Bari. It is my best colonial find ever. I am still researching this button. The central devices of the urn and what appears to be laurel leaves or olive branches are set inside a sunken Federal Era shield which makes this an even more interesting button.

del
11-26-2016, 07:40 PM
This is a great button for a few reasons and because of its location (late colonial cabin sites) , era and symbolism on the button we believe its a special one . Its very possible its either a George Washington funerary type or a "The Bonnie prince" funerary button https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Edward_Stuart because of the pictured items . I hope at some point we will have very clear resolve to this button but either way to this history one thing is true it is an interesting piece of history .

Huge congrats to you Donnie , I am glad to have been with you when you found this button .

Dan

calabash digger
11-26-2016, 07:53 PM
man that is cool ! wealth of information around here thanks and congrats on the find.

Donnie B
11-26-2016, 08:19 PM
Thank you Danny LaMontagne for taking me under your wing and inviting me to go with you and Brian. This button is, without a doubt, my best metal detecting find in twenty two years of digging. I owe it all to you, my friend. I think all of the symbols on the button point to something very significant and, in particular, the shield. I have been trying to find old advertisements for George Washington mourning items in the hope that I may find my button but haven't had any luck yet in locating any with illustrations. It will take persistence but there has to be some information out there somewhere.

BTV Digger
11-26-2016, 09:34 PM
Congrats Donnie on a great button! Man, Dan sure knows his buttons! Great info and interested to see if you discover more about its origins.

John

The Rebel
12-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Great find. Looking forward to see this ID'd.