PDA

View Full Version : Code of ethics : cemetaries

Digger_O'Dell
11-27-2016, 06:58 PM
Hi all,
It's been brought to my attention that one of my posts made it sound like I was detecting in a cemetery which we all know is a no-go as per our Code of Ethics.
I wanted to reiterate that I was NOT detecting over grave sites. To make things clear I wanted to give full details.
First, at this site I was not only given permission but encouraged to detect this cemetery. It is one of two that the church has, and is the old inactive site which hasn't been used in over 100 years.
Second, the whole cemetery is not grave sites as stated in my account. There are open areas around a very ancient tree and open walkways to the center. The open area once was the place used as a picnic site and was left open and accessible for this purpose by design. At one time is was so much used the church built an outhouse here as well.
Lastly, there are the perimeter areas around the fence along 2 roads, and open areas between the cemetery and the church which have been improved over the years.
I know some may think this as a "grey area" of the code of ethics, but I think my moral compass is pointing in the right direction here. It's my thought that perimeter areas outside the plots, access roads, and unused fields or open areas in the yard itself in some cases are acceptable places to hunt.
Thanks for reading, and I appreciate the concerns raised and any further feedback.

Fire Fighter 43
11-27-2016, 07:45 PM
I had little doubt that you were hunting over grave sites. Thanks for posting your response, it is a good refresher for all. I hunt a lot of old church sites and do hunt the cemetery perimiters. I also mention when I'm asking permission that I do not go in the cemetery. I do not know what the proper distance is for staying clear of the grave stones so when I start to feel uncomfortable then I know I'm getting too close.

del
11-28-2016, 12:11 AM
:lol:You mean :detecting:and digging up bodies in a cemetery is
frowned upon:overreaction:?? :rofl::lol: just kidding of course :yes:

Chris ,thank you for taking the time to clarify that to us , we didn't really think you did sir but I can see how someone could read your original post a different way . Again thanks :thumbsup01:

MangoAve
11-28-2016, 10:18 AM
The person who I know could add something doesn't usually peruse this site. I was told during the winter, there needs to be someone to find the markers for sites, but only during the winter and no digging involved. But just shows there is a usage for them on the plots.
I have seen an athletic field right next to one as part of the same parcel, owned by the church. Only thing was that it was closed for some reason, however I had gone to detect it before seeing it was closed off. I can easily foresee places around cemeteries could be detected. I've seen old roads split right at a cemetery leading toward some cellars. A few places had family plots right near there. Those had stone walls so that was the boundary on where the coil would go.

SeabeeRon
11-28-2016, 12:24 PM
Those who know you Chris never had any doubts! :grouphug:

Digger_O'Dell
11-28-2016, 12:59 PM
I've been to one site thar I can remember working a wooded area behind a long abandoned cemetery that had recently been cleared and fixed up by some local businesses and volunteers. The site had already been out of service for decades and the church gone along with its records. Due to there being no records and missing markers I ended up finding unmarked plots outside the known cemetery when I detected the metal laden stone liners maybe 6 inches under ground.

Full Metal Digger
11-30-2016, 03:43 PM
Looter! LOL. :rofl:

aloldstuff
12-01-2016, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the clarification.....never a doubt. :thumbsup02:

Digger_O'Dell
12-01-2016, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the clarification.....never a doubt. :thumbsup02:

Not problem, wouldn't want to make a "grave" mistake! :rofl:

aloldstuff
12-01-2016, 03:41 PM
Not problem, wouldn't want to make a "grave" mistake! :rofl:

:coffeelaugh:

Digger Don
12-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Wow, most threads don't get too many comments these days. Your getting buried in them.

Lodge Scent
12-01-2016, 09:11 PM
It was good to clarify that Chris. It is a very sensitive subject and I have seen people get absolutely skewered (and rightly so) on other forums for bragging about cemetery finds. I didn't have an issue with what you did in the context you described. But you do need to tread lightly in this area. No sense in waking the dead and causing a zombie apocalypse. ;)

Digger_O'Dell
12-01-2016, 09:20 PM
I completely agree, no zombies allowed! Have enough of that at work as it is! As I see it, unused open areas, toads, etc are still OK to hunt when allowed.

leslie(nova scotia)
12-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Mister man that is without saying morbid! To think that anyone would contemplate digging in one...sacrilidge!