PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's colonial binge

del
12-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Got out Sunday with Friend Donnie B. , Trooper Bri unfortunately text me last minute to cancel out . So Donnie and I trudged through the woods and only managed to hit four sites before it got dark , luckily the last one coughed up a few goodies to save me from a disappointing ride home. :lol: My finds included a few decent buttons (all with designs and or gilt ) my usual complimentary shoe buckle frame (or parts , I always think of Jeff when I find one now :rofl: thanks ) and a small broken pewter spoon . Donnie recovered a really nice item:cheering: (I'll let him come on and show it off).Great to be out in the woods in December!!:happydance01:

Dan

calabash digger
12-06-2016, 04:15 PM
nice finds you made there.

Lodge Scent
12-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Wow! Look at the guild on that button. Dan I am working on a scientific theory as to why you have found (and continue to find) an astonishing number of shoe buckles over the years. I'll be publishing my theory for peer review in the near future.

del
12-06-2016, 04:29 PM
nice finds you made there.

Thank you sir !

Wow! Look at the guild on that button. Dan I am working on a scientific theory as to why you have found (and continue to find) an astonishing number of shoe buckles over the years. I'll be publishing my theory for peer review in the near future.

:rofl: I'll bet it will be very entertaining Jeff , I hope it has a lot of pictures . can't wait !!:cheering:

Digger Don
12-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Cool finds Dan. Congrats

Digger_O'Dell
12-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Nice finds, great looking button!

aloldstuff
12-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Great job getting out in December and for getting those nice items. The gilt button, is that raw or cleaned with some CLR.
I also will be waiting for Jeff's scientific theory about the shoe buckles.

BTV Digger
12-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Excellent finds Dan! Don't sell yourself short on the partial shoebuckle frames. I've never found even a smidgen of one so far. :ticked:It never ceases to amaze me how gilted buttons can come out of the ground in such a variety of conditions - from complete crud, to those like yours that look like were dropped last year. Soil type, orientation of the button underground etc certainly play a role in keeping some buttons looking nicer, but keeping them nicer for 150-200 years? Nuts.

John

del
12-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Cool finds Dan. Congrats

Thank you Don , I see by the banner you and Al are doing very well :notworthy:

Nice finds, great looking button!

Thanks Chris :beerbuddy:

Great job getting out in December and for getting those nice items. The gilt button, is that raw or cleaned with some CLR.
I also will be waiting for Jeff's scientific theory about the shoe buckles.

Al the buttons have all been cleaned , I did use some dilute CLR on the gold gilted ones to bring out their color . That's good Jeff now has two buyers of his " theoretical Shoe Buckle sciences" , Jeff will that be paperback or hard cover ? ;) Thanks Al

Excellent finds Dan! Don't sell yourself short on the partial shoebuckle frames. I've never found even a smidgen of one so far. :ticked:It never ceases to amaze me how gilted buttons can come out of the ground in such a variety of conditions - from complete crud, to those like yours that look like were dropped last year. Soil type, orientation of the button underground etc certainly play a role in keeping some buttons looking nicer, but keeping them nicer for 150-200 years? Nuts.

John

John the really nicer gilted ones always hold up well , their quality just shows . Buttons are a welcome find at a site and I know i'm in a great area for other goodies to follow . Thank you sir

Ill Digger
12-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Just a little binge amongst your full-blown addiction Dan?🤔 And just enough of the juice to keep you hooked real good. 👹👿
As if there's a cure for this sickness we all have. 😃
Congrats on grabbin' a few December colonial keepers! 😆

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Donnie B
12-10-2016, 05:12 PM
It was a GREAT day Dan. Thank you for letting me tag along with you. I'm going to post my find up in just a few minutes. You hit an awesome little hot spot there at the end of the day. Congratulations on the complete shoe buckle and those buttons are gorgeous!