PDA

View Full Version : Odd things

del
12-14-2016, 12:24 PM
When I started out metal detecting years ago I expected the clad coins , the occasional silver and pieces of jewelry . Then when I started detecting cellar foundations and colonial home sites
I again expected buttons , spoon/fork and occasional older coin or buckle . There are many things I didn't expect to collect while doing this ......

Please share with me some collections of things you never thought you'd be finding !

Dan

Full Metal Digger
12-14-2016, 04:48 PM
That's quite an assortment of "odd" finds Del. I could never find any of those around my part of Illinois though. You New England boys have all the fun! HH, Dave.

del
12-14-2016, 05:19 PM
That's quite an assortment of "odd" finds Del. I could never find any of those around my part of Illinois though. You New England boys have all the fun! HH, Dave.

Dave , I know you must have found some odd things on some of your hunts ( maybe a "henway" or two ) sir !

Digger Don
12-14-2016, 05:21 PM
We don't find quite as cool stuff here in Illinois as you do out east.

del
12-14-2016, 05:41 PM
We don't find quite as cool stuff here in Illinois as you do out east.

I disagree Don , you have got some mighty cool collections of oddities! :notworthy: Thank you for showing them off to us .:cheering:

Ken C
12-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Those old matchbox cars are really cool.

Digger_O'Dell
12-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Quite a nice collection of ox knobs and trigger guards, and I'm jealous of those bells! :notworthy: I do agree with Don, you colonial diggers get the best stuff we could never imagine finding in the Midwest.

Donnie B
12-14-2016, 08:49 PM
Here are some of my odd, random, finds that I started collecting. Clay and old glass marbles, dog tax and license tags. My favorite random find is this Don Winslow Honor Coin. It was a 1939 Kellogg's Cereal box top toy that my Dad lost when he 6 years old. I found it approximately 60 years after he lost it.570585705957060

Digger_O'Dell
12-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Here's some of my oddities. Always find golf balls, even in the deepest woods or most remote fields - go figure! Ive also found baseballs, soccer balls, basket balls and tennus balls far from places they would typically be used. Very odd! Then there's all the clock parts in places they shouldn't be found. Also the fishing reel and early Graff's soda dispenser.

Not matter where I go, silverware everywhere!

Here's a few oddities I haven't been able to identify.

Lead bottle cap, glass included. Only example I've ever seen dug, and only ever found one historical reference to them.

I find lots of cell phone batteries for some reason, but my only complete waterlogged phone found over 2 feet down on a remote beach.

And if course not 1, but 2 of these racey flip coins found miles apart this year.

del
12-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Here are some of my odd, random, finds that I started collecting. Clay and old glass marbles, dog tax and license tags. My favorite random find is this Don Winslow Honor Coin. It was a 1939 Kellogg's Cereal box top toy that my Dad lost when he 6 years old. I found it approximately 60 years after he lost it.570585705957060

Nice collections Donnie , I forgot about the dog tax tags . Very nice and thanks for sowing them off sir !

Here's some of my oddities. Always find golf balls, even in the deepest woods or most remote fields - go figure! Ive also found baseballs, soccer balls, basket balls and tennus balls far from places they would typically be used. Very odd! Then there's all the clock parts in places they shouldn't be found. Also the fishing reel and early Graff's soda dispenser.

Not matter where I go, silverware everywhere!

Here's a few oddities I haven't been able to identify.

Lead bottle cap, glass included. Only example I've ever seen dug, and only ever found one historical reference to them.

I find lots of cell phone batteries for some reason, but my only complete waterlogged phone found over 2 feet down on a remote beach.

And if course not 1, but 2 of these racey flip coins found miles apart this year.

Chris I know what you mean about the golf balls as I've seen them miles out in the woods on occasion :confused::confused:I'm wondering if they are used by some hunters for a purpose ? Thanks for sharing some of you very uncommon or odd finds with us .

Dan

Donnie B
12-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks Dan! That's just a few of my dog tax and license tags. I found the one in the middle on a hunt with you. You can't read it in my photo because I didn't have enough light but it's from a small town in Massachusetts. I never dreamed I would collect dog tax tags and marbles!

[QUOTE=del;209660]Nice collections Donnie , I forgot about the dog tax tags . Very nice and thanks for sowing them off sir !