PDA

View Full Version : Hunts are getting few and far between. Latest finds and displays

MangoAve
12-20-2016, 01:50 PM
The NE weather has really been affecting things. Last weekend was snow that was melting the next day. The weekend before was frigid, yet I still managed an outing.

The next to last outing I got out to a spot that I would think is a sift-worthy. Very active for it's lifetime and this time I was debating whether across the old road where I found the colonial ring might be where the old house was bulldozed. Still cant figure out for sure if there was a small building there or if the glass is from the house. Finally, after 3 bad coils in a row, I managed to get a prism shoorter from the white's service center that worked on the Tpro. I went back to this site and found what I could in a few hours. Turns out there is much more hiding. I maxed the sense, but the drawback is that things near the surface tend to overload. The brass twist buckle (idr the exact name) was near the surface by the old barn foundation. I was able to pick it out with the tiny coil. Same with those pieces of the decorative belt. That was in this area in front of the barn near an old tree where there was a small footprint of stones. The decorative spoon... geesh.. one more of those??!?!... was the first find of the site for this trip. I have a big brass disk still at home to take a pic of, and an odd shaped iron buckle that's humongous. I managed an iron piece to a saddle. I left it at the site and told Dave if he wants it he can have it. :lol:

Early December I just found pics of the site for. I didn't find anything except a few jar lids in the back area of a site I passed through to get to the intended site. It was a grueling hike in the way I went. And I lost my shovel along the way. I noticed about halfway thru, and went back to try and find it as I knew I either needed to find it or get my trowel at the car. I cant quite use my hands to dig in the woods. The trowel was useless in the woods, obviously. So it made hitting the site hard. There must be many hikers there cuz the only thing I found at the intended site was about 52 cents in clad. The following day I went back to try again to locate the shovel but to no avail. After an hour and a half I realized google map kept a record of my gps so there might be some hope. Until then I have to use a back up shovel for woods.

The latest hunt was when temps were single digits. I met up with a friend from ytc. He met me at a newer site to me. We might have gotten lucky as the site looked overgrown, and recently the brush chopped down. There was a smaller site where we parked and we hit it for a bit on the way out. The first thing I found at the main site was a dog license from 1928. Not my oldest, but no skunking. Then there was a buckle somewhere between the house and the barn. It was a blatantly obvious signal which made me think copper. The house had a nice view of the mountains so I can see why they built there. The field held a frozen mouse and a frozen un-hatched egg. lol. No pics of those. Hope these pics give Al his photo-fix. You can see how many times the house burned by how many layers are there.
We then went to the site where I found my first KG2. It took a little while to find a signal worth digging. Not far from where I got the KG2 was a nice tone. Again thinking a copper...but alas it was a harmonica. I was hitting it the long way which made it seem like a narrow target. It's almost a full one too. Still can't get away from those darn harmonicas. I ended up finding coin #3 from this site. Another IH, 1904. Any idea on the point? I was thinking contact point for a model T, but those are T shaped. This site did have an early 1920s Chevy emblem in the road.
I also started getting some displays. I was unimpressed with the first one I got. It works ok, but not as great as the second one. The second one looks great, but is quite deep. Not bad for $14, tho. Pretty close size for all those items, less the big dress buckle. Apparently I need to find more buckles. I had to use other items worthy of display. There are only 2 coins in there which are not dug, however all my LC have a ring around them making the cases too large to fit in the slots. No Nova in there, No immaculate matrons.

Bucknut
12-20-2016, 01:59 PM
You have found some beautiful frames!

del
12-20-2016, 02:09 PM
That one spot with the cinder block looks familiar , you hike all the way out there ? nice finds , displays and relics Jim !

calabash digger
12-20-2016, 04:46 PM
those are some nice finds and nice spots too.

Lodge Scent
12-20-2016, 05:11 PM
I hear you Jim. If it isn't the weather, it seems something else is conspiring to keep me from detecting. Nice digs though. You got some real nice buckles in that box. :envious:

Digger_O'Dell
12-20-2016, 07:58 PM
Congrats on some nice finds there Jim! Those displays are looking really nice. That's quite a buckle collection!
I can understand the weather situation. Here it was in the double digits, unfortunately they had a minus sign in front! :frozen: Got down to about -14 the other day with 30 plus MPH winds. Snow is almost 18 inches deep.

BTV Digger
12-20-2016, 10:10 PM
Very nice displays Jim. I've got to get around shopping for some of those cases. My relic shack is piling up with too much stuff - good and bad! Have a great Christmas.

John

Mr. Digger
12-21-2016, 07:54 AM
Great pics....thanks for sharing. Man I wish it was still fall. :girlcry:

MangoAve
12-21-2016, 08:47 AM
For those who don't believe when I say I have other less valuable finds that I forget to take the pics of.. ;):lol:
I managed to snag two pics before I got to work today of the bigger items. Unfortunately the first one def needed a size reference. It was just on the trunk of the car. The iron buckle frame (which I'll admit looks good for dug iron) is about 5" or 6" front to back. Makes you wonder what it went on to be that huge. The second item was brass. It probably overloaded the 10"DD coil as well, I just happened to dig it to get it out of the way. At first I though it was prob a dial for surveying way back when the place became town land. Wrong. I did find bail seals at this place, so maybe they had vegetables or fruit they grew as well. I can already comprehend this was used for smaller tare being sold at a farmstand. Once I searched the words around the dial, there were a few hits in the antique category. And comparing to the good looking full item, I can even see just the hint of a date under the dial hand. At least the '5' is visible if not the '65'. Seems its from an antique 1865 Universal Family scale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1865-CAST-IRON-UNIVERSAL-FAMILY-SCALE-BRASS-FACE-with-SCALE-PAN-LOT-25A-/162315941764?hash=item25cac8b784

You have found some beautiful frames!

Thanks Buck. I'm not impressed with the first one, although it does work well. Just not manufactured well even though both came from the same retailer. (Different manufacturers). Maybe I will find a wood frame case for 'earrings' soon. I just know with the things I find, you need all different size frames.

That one spot with the cinder block looks familiar , you hike all the way out there ? nice finds , displays and relics Jim !

Thanks Dan. Ref the PM. There was a much easier way into this site. If you think this was a far hike, I'd hate to see what you'd say about the place I tried to get a few people like Dom and Mark to... (that's where I got the last fob and 1881 IH and I NEED to return to. There is one on the map but I can't seem to locate it. Being that tough to find and so far In, I am sure it's not been hit).

those are some nice finds and nice spots too.

Thanks Calabash. A few in the displays were older finds, but are still great finds.

I hear you Jim. If it isn't the weather, it seems something else is conspiring to keep me from detecting. Nice digs though. You got some real nice buckles in that box. :envious:

Thanks, Jeff. I know... two years ago it was another issue. That was mainly the reason I ended up going mostly solo...but since I researched and learned the things the Drs don't wanna tell you (cuz they wanna keep you needing meds) I have been able to get plans solid. But now the weather.
Seems I need to find more buckles. Dan keeps stealing them before I can get to them. I need to find a place he hasn't been to.

Congrats on some nice finds there Jim! Those displays are looking really nice. That's quite a buckle collection!
I can understand the weather situation. Here it was in the double digits, unfortunately they had a minus sign in front! :frozen: Got down to about -14 the other day with 30 plus MPH winds. Snow is almost 18 inches deep.

Thanks, Chris. Got some unique ones in there. But they are lacking. If you saw the places where I have stuff around, the house, the displays are now a step up. I got umpteen spoons idk what to do with. lol. Sorry to hear the weather was bad there. This vortex they keep talking about returned again for ya. It's prob only 2 or 3 inches still not melted here yet. We were only close to the minus digits lately. Stay warm up there.

Very nice displays Jim. I've got to get around shopping for some of those cases. My relic shack is piling up with too much stuff - good and bad! Have a great Christmas.

John

Thanks, John. I was holding off to find the right ones. I know there are a few sites that carry them. AHaha.. I didn't read your reply before I replied to Chris. Maybe someday I will clean up those horse shoes and hang them in my basement. I did see one post on FB recently with a nice yule log and crotal bell. I think I have a project to do myself. Just gotta find some nice white birch logs. Have a great xmas, too, to you and the fam. I'm looking for just one more hunt this year. :daydream:

Great pics....thanks for sharing. Man I wish it was still fall. :girlcry:

Thanks, Digger. I wish it was spring... lol. Birds and the buds on the trees I think I like more than the mass of leaves on the ground. And furthest from winter.

aloldstuff
12-22-2016, 01:36 PM
Yes Jim, it's that time of year, meaning not the good time. Some very nice displays. You have me thinking that I should start displaying some of my better coins the way you have.

OxShoeDrew
01-02-2017, 05:10 AM
Good looking sites Jim...nice job on the displays too. Happy new year!

MangoAve
01-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Yes Jim, it's that time of year, meaning not the good time. Some very nice displays. You have me thinking that I should start displaying some of my better coins the way you have.

Hope you get some better pics of displays than Rob did. Lol There's still time to get a few more hunts in. It's gonna be cold soon tho.

Good looking sites Jim...nice job on the displays too. Happy new year!

Thanks Drew. Hope you had a good new year and Xmas too.