PDA

View Full Version : Found my first coin.

haeleemodisett19
01-01-2017, 10:56 PM
Today was my first time to actually detect and dig. My pin pointer came in on the 30th and ended up raining till today. Not old but my first find. Need some help getting my whites mxt on the right (settings) I guess you could say.57198

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aloldstuff
01-02-2017, 07:45 AM
Congrats on the 1st coin. We have a few MXT users on the forum and I'm sure someone will be chiming in about those settings.

OxShoeDrew
01-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Great!! Congrats! Yeah, Like Al said, there are some knowledgeable MXT folks here.

haeleemodisett19
01-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Thanks! Sure hope someone chimes in cause I'm not sure lol.

Full Metal Digger
01-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Hey, you'll never forget that coin either. My first coin in 1977 was also a clad quarter!

haeleemodisett19
01-02-2017, 08:37 PM
What makes them a clad? I'm not sure of the terms.

Ill Digger
01-02-2017, 10:52 PM
What makes them a clad? I'm not sure of the terms.

First off let me Welcome you to the forum!! :grin:
Second, congrats on your first coin find!! :clapping:
And, "clad" is in reference to the coins composition. It's made up of two metals, the outer layer is copper, nickel(.750 copper, .250 nickel) bonded to a inner core of pure copper.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing.
And like DaddyDigger said, you'll remember that coin. My first coin was a 1973 nickle.

MangoAve
01-03-2017, 11:55 AM
^what he said. Lol.
Idr my first coin, but I do remember my first silver being a 1941 quarter. Dave is rarely on here and Bri almost never go on here, so the two that I know use the Mxt might not chime in. You can check Todd's vids on youtube. I think there was one where he went through the settings that he used for cellars.. just be aware those are more for cellars where you want to hear everything. Parks you don't want to dig everything.. lest you will be there for hours on end digging junk. But the best thing is to dig everything until you get a feel for what constitutes as a good target. Todd's YT is Thiltzy1. There is also Dominique from youtube as well. They are both field reps for white's. She's on the silverslingers user name. IId prob use the coin& jewelry mode most of the time. Put the gain up to the recommended arrow detent. Use headphones and set the threshold to the point you stop hearing it. Then the dual control discrimination to the lowest, just above iron. I'd suggest to start there. You'd need to tweak the gain when you get emi issues or if you have a really trashy area. The higher gain (on any machine) makes it easier to false off the trashy targets and mask the better targets. And a lot of it with any detector just is luck to get a good target under the coil. I stopped hearing iron in one cellar so I deviated.. turns out if I went 10 more feet I would have found two LC that someone else in the group found.

I use the TreasurePro, not the MXT. One of my hunting buddies uses the M6 and I was showing a guy in a 1779 house that I tried to ask permission at, how to use and set up his MXT. I had to show him the switch by the handle was the pinpoint mode.

haeleemodisett19
01-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the input! We dug all this today. I'm still not too sure on the settings. How often do coils go bad? This one doesn't seem to get good hits unless it's iron. I may have it set wrong tho. This coil is an eclipse 950.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170104/a8ee3b7dc25a2c2cbaea722774e53f73.jpg