PDA

View Full Version : End of the year hunts. More relics.

MangoAve
01-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Hope all had some good time off. I did work some OT and got some cash toward a new shovel. I got out for about an hour on Xmas and hunted a site way in the woods. Another place they seem to be logging this year. The actual cellar was hidden as there was something built right next to it, but I still nabbed a musket drop in the cart road. I also managed that small buckle and the slide for a horse rein near the top of the hill where there was a opening in the stone walls. I just happened to see it was a grassy area. However, it was odd it was just dense with iron targets, but after I crossed this little wall that almost terraced the hillside, it got quiet. And it was closer to the cellar.
Since I had the week off, I chose my days based upon the weather. Nice weather I didn't work; rain I did. Wed was the last hunt I was able to make for the year. The first spot was a long hike in to get to, passing through by three sites on the way. I actually ended up finding two cellars in the area with one stone wall connecting both. More logging, of course. It was weird tho, that directly across from the cellar there was no activity, but it was an open field. Along the back wall I managed to score a thimble. Man, they are easy to miss. I just learned iron goes to 40 on the ATP while my machine gives all 99 VDI used for non-ferrous targets (and t0 -99) as ferrous. No wonder some people go a ways without finding one. Finally this year I think I found 4. It rang like a 16VDI.
The second cellar, which was the one I was thinking to find, was pretty quiet. There was one trash target old can near the road and a few iron hits between the cellar and well. Idk how this place being that far in would be picked clean, even if the old road was right by it. The old road wasn't the way I came into the site. I was just about to give up on the site when by this pile of rocks 30 ft behind the cellar I got an overload signal. It was just that close to the surface. The piles were odd as there was a small stone wall that led to them. Maybe it was a barn foundation that was crumbled. A few barns actually had chimneys. I nabbed another nice shoe buckle with iron chappe and tongue. So I wasn't fully done with the site. I continued up and down that path near the back wall to pull up a small flat button. Then I left.

The next site I knew had another spot to check. Across from the cellar was this area with big trees, but no stone walls. There happened to be a mill at the brook. And a broken dam. I found a depression which might have been an old barn. There was a highly traversed path I could see worn down. Instantly I knew I had an LC. Turns out to be an 1817 matron. The only cleaning I did was letting it dry and then toothpicking it. No renwax yet.
Eventually I hiked back to the car and went to try and find a few sites I saw before. Turns out they were the quietest sites I have ever been to. They just managed to be some sites for nice pics. Two cellars close by. Nothing found except for a peanut jar still buried by the cellar lip. The cellar on the way out I took a quick peek at. A bit more activity and iron. And I got one of those bird tags possibly worth sending in.

These are all the finds together.

Bucknut
01-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Another killer buckle there! Nice job

aloldstuff
01-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Very nice way to end the year. Nice early LC, and a killer buckle. As usual the pictures are just as nice as the finds.

Mr. Digger
01-04-2017, 06:18 AM
Love that buckle. Great photos. Congrats!

Lodge Scent
01-04-2017, 03:27 PM
More nice finds Jim. Nice looking sites too. Worthy of a revisit!

calabash digger
01-04-2017, 10:41 PM
very nice finds! congrats

OxShoeDrew
01-05-2017, 06:36 PM
Nice work Jim!!:notworthy: I hope the snow holds off!!

rfaatalrashid
01-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Wow. I'd pay to hunt a site like that. Holy moly. Great job

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

del
01-10-2017, 07:46 PM
nice finds , I recognize a couple of your sites . I wouldn't mind going back to them either ! congrats Jim

MangoAve
01-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Sorry all for how long it took to reply.

Another killer buckle there! Nice job

Thanks, Buck. I love finding them.

Very nice way to end the year. Nice early LC, and a killer buckle. As usual the pictures are just as nice as the finds.

Thanks, Al. Always like that the pics do justice. Did you get out for a hunt with the wanka? He was itchin' to get out.

Love that buckle. Great photos. Congrats!

Thanks, Digger. It made the hike with it.

More nice finds Jim. Nice looking sites too. Worthy of a revisit!

Thanks, Jeff. Idk about the further sites. I didn't take a pic of the very first cellar I saw, but it almost looked like a man made pond behind it. The spot near the LC had some flat iron and a bit of activity. It might warrant another look.. esp if Dan is interested.

very nice finds! congrats

Thanks Calabash.

Nice work Jim!!:notworthy: I hope the snow holds off!!

Thanks, Drew. I thought the snow we got last marked the end of the season. I was bummed that day. But turns out it didn't mark the end. We still get some digging going on now.

Wow. I'd pay to hunt a site like that. Holy moly. Great job

Which part of the county you at? I know of a few from this forum that have made it out this way for a chance at cellar hole hunting. They were welcome, and no cover. Lol. Thanks.

nice finds , I recognize a couple of your sites . I wouldn't mind going back to them either ! congrats Jim

Thanks, Dan. Sounds like Jim and Mark got out to that area afterward. I had invited Jim to meet up with me on that day. I got another perspective site I found Mon but I have to recover from getting a cold. Ugh. Coworkers spread germs around. Nine called out sick on Tues, and I heard 12 called out yesterday. Wow.

MangoAve
01-31-2017, 10:00 AM
I finally got some pics of the stragglers. Stuff that kinda stayed in the bucket. One lantern piece, the wire, and the mangled spoon were in the same hole. I thought the lanterns were a little unique as the one in pieces has no information on the knob, and the other doesn't even have a patent date. Instead it has a nice starburst pattern and some other words.
This is a close up of the brass wire. It is ornate with dimples all around it. You cant tell from pic, but I saw a line pattern as well. Whatever it is, it has hoops/hooks tacked on at various places.
The spoon has no makers mark. I am not sure why the spoon bowl is flat either. It just means it was stamped from flat stock brass. The fork is from a different site and says "superior silver plate'. Well, the plating didn't last.
The big iron is a mystery item but I am guessing it is from a stove. Looked cool with the design.
This will prob also be a mystery item. Whatever it is, it was a cast alloy that cleaned up really well. It was cast to have a break pattern like that.